The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is 1 hour and 45 minutes too long to train? And some other questions.

Last week I did squats.. doing 225 x8 and 245 x6

This week I spent like a half an hour or more at the powerrack trying to recover just so I could get 1 more squat in here an there.. so this week it was 225 x9 and 235 x1

I just wasn't feeling it this week or somethin'.. but all in all.. I spent about 40-45 minutes just doing squats and the hack squats together. And I'm doing the WBB Routine #1, and today was leg day. Do you think I overtrained?

And when these people are talking about maxes.. I don't know if I'm going for my max or not when doing these, I heard you have to do a lot of weight to see results.. and can't do light weight with hi reps.. so I try to make sure I'm getting the highest amount of weight possible, as many times I can. But tonight after them squats.. I'd do about 2 straight.. then have to take a break. Is this good or bad? Should I go lighter? And on my hack squats.. I'll do 4 of them at a time.. and on bench, I'll do around 150 3-4 times.. then have to take a break.. Deadlifts.. I do about 225 3-4 times, then break.. so it's like I'm doing 5 sets of 2-3 reps.. is this good? Or should I go lighter? Will I still be seeing great results, if I keep doing this high weight, but only a few reps at a time?

Thanks!

EDIT: I also get these nice bloody bar marks across my back everytime I squat.

also, does anyone find it weird, that I usually only bench around 150, squat around 225, and deadlift around 225 also?

It's like I'm really lacking in the bench department.
    Last edited by Den Fisher; 09-29-2004 at 08:40 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

that's a long time. i have a hard time stretching my workout to an hour, usually finish around 40 minutes.

how long are these "breaks"

Breaks with the squats are maybe 3-5 minutes.. I do a few reps, then go get some water from the water fountain.. drink some.. then go back to doing another little set of 2 reps.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotosuds
    that's a long time. i have a hard time stretching my workout to an hour, usually finish around 40 minutes.

how long are these "breaks"
    it depends on the person. I usually spend about 2 hours at the gym. More if I play basketball or HIIT. Now of course I am only lifting about half that time, but I like to enjoy my time there, it's relaxing for me

Quote Originally Posted by GMCtrk
    it depends on the person. I usually spend about 2 hours at the gym. More if I play basketball or HIIT. Now of course I am only lifting about half that time, but I like to enjoy my time there, it's relaxing for me

I definately am not lifting the whole 1 hour and 45 minutes.. I talk a little for 10 minutes at most.. go to the bathroom once.. and go to the water fountain here and there.. I'd say I'm resting about as much as I'm really lifting. :/ Maybe not quite.. but close.. especially after them straight legged deadlifts. :O

1 Hour Max
    High Intensity Training.
    Yates,Dogcrapp style.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMatt
    1 Hour Max
    High Intensity Training.
    Yates,Dogcrapp style.

I'm there for 2-3 hours depending on rest intervals. I know so many ppl at the gym so they always talk to me.. gets kind of annoying and I'm too nice to tell them to shut the hell up. arg :/

Ok, now the thing I need to know.. is doing reps of only about 2-3 at a time, taking a lil break, then going back, then repeat, etc.

I'm bustin' my nut every rep too, it's damn near my max. I don't know if this is good or not.

Anyways, to bed I go.. I'll be able to check out the replies tomorrow.

ThANKS!1

Later.

Banned
    1 hour of lifting is probably more than enough...warming up, stretching, cardio, any of that junk doesn't count in that.

Doing sets of 2-3 all the time is NOT a good idea. You are going to wear your central nervous system out in no time.

Banned
    I train for a good hard 45-50 min., including 10-12 for cardio roughly. I would say that's a good little while to be in the gym. I'd get unmotivated by them..

lokpol <- my cat typed this.

Quote Originally Posted by Den Fisher
    Do you think I overtrained?
    No.

EDIT: I also get these nice bloody bar marks across my back everytime I squat.
    Find the groove below your traps and above your delts.

also, does anyone find it weird, that I usually only bench around 150, squat around 225, and deadlift around 225 also.
    No. Unlike many curl jockeys who bench more than they squat, you have a much better balance of strength. You're far better off squatting a decent amount than benching. Plus, at your level, benching a large amount can be more technical than squatting.

Anyhow, I hope you're squatting with good form and keep it up. That is good weight.
    Last edited by MixmasterNash; 09-29-2004 at 10:34 PM.

I spend roughly 1 hour 15 minutes to 2 hours at the gym. I used to do 45 mins to 1 hour max. One time I tried some g4y routine that was only about 25 minutes long, got it from exrx.net...damn that was lame. I enjoy being at the gym and sometimes spend some time talking with people learning things.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Banned
    Yeah! Sometimes I will get caught up talking and spend like two more freakin' hours there. Always see people i haven't seen in forever.

Even when I try to rush through my workout, these full body workouts are taking me forever!!!

Body Under Construction thalakos84's Avatar
    I've read in multiple magazines that high intensity, short-interval training is the best for size and strength. I usually do a set, rest for no more than 2 minutes, preferably 1, and then go at it again. Sure, it puts a lot of demand on the body, but that's what it's all about. You'll decrease time spent dinking around, and you'll see better gains. Just how I go about it though. I've got stuff to do.

Frank Zane-ification
    I usually exercise for about 1-2 hours, but if I work for 1, that's usually only halfway through my normal routine. I only stop at 1 hour if I'm completely exhausted. But I usually take an energy drink while I'm working out, and that makes me still have quite a bit of energy after I'm done. It all depends on the day...like leg days, I couldn't possibly last 2 hours...that'd just kill me.

I hear the normal recommendation is about one hour, otherwise you use up every last drop of glycogen your body needs, but that's why I take an energy drink. BLAH...whatever feels right to you, if you're completely exhausted, you're prob doing too much. Let your body tell you how long you should work out, unless your body is a lying sack of sh*t, then just threaten by saying you won't be it's friend anymore? Never mind...
    "Hey skinny, I can see your ribs!" - Arnold Schwarzenegger

How many sets do you do in an hour?
    I can't fathom what a person does for 2 hours in a gym

On the Road to Redemption. Ironman_1964's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thalakos84
    I've read in multiple magazines that high intensity, short-interval training is the best for size and strength. I usually do a set, rest for no more than 2 minutes, preferably 1, and then go at it again. Sure, it puts a lot of demand on the body, but that's what it's all about. You'll decrease time spent dinking around, and you'll see better gains. Just how I go about it though. I've got stuff to do.
    I agree 100%. I usually rest between 60 seconds to 90 seconds between sets and try for 8 to 12 reps for each set.
    What am I on?
    My back for the bench press.
    My feet for the squat.
    What are you on?

I usually go for 2-3 hours. I would have a very, very hard time finishing in an hour

Quote Originally Posted by geoffgarcia
    How many sets do you do in an hour?
    I can't fathom what a person does for 2 hours in a gym

Setup weights....talk....lift....talk....drink water...talk....talk....take a piss...lift...talk...etc.

heh heh, not really, but sometimes it seems that way doesn't it?
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

wow 2 to 3 hrs in the gym! i'm done in 45 mins max 1 hr

So overall guys, you think I should keep this high weight up? And just keep doing it in 2-3 rep sets.. and squats, deadlifts, hack squats, and bench is the only thing I do that I have to take these little breaks in.. and maybe military presses too. But like my incline dumbbell presses, curls, etc. I do all 8-6 reps straight.

I don't feel too exhausted when I leave. It's just that it takes me a long time to recover between each big squat or deadlift. :/

However long it takes me it takes me... there's no way in hell I'm leaving the gym before I'm done just cause some clock says I've been there for 60 minutes. My workouts are usually 90-100 minutes. And I only go onto my nest set after I feel mostly recovered from the previous one. Sometimes that's 1 minute, for heavy squats, sometimes it 5-7 minutes.
    Check out my Training Journal HERE

105kg Open IPF Classic Provincial record holder in the squat, bench, deadlift, and total.

Cortisol levels go up after 1 hour if youre natural so up to you guys