The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parallel?

Parallel?

This is a picture of my 14" Box... do you guys think I'm hitting parallel?

Oh yeah I got a movie of my 315 PR on a 16" "Box" at http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~jleung/MVI_0197.AVI
    Attached Images Attached Images

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Footballer
    I think your hips need to come a little lower to hit parallel but I'm not really sure. thats lower than alot of people go.
    Calgary Stampeder!
    Formerly a CMU Chippewa!

It looks right AT parrellel but im not definate. Its to hard to tell with black shorts. If you can get another pic with different shorts on.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Not if your powerlifting. The top of your hip has to be even with the bottom of your knee. You're almost there though. I'd say you're about 2" short of actual parellel & probably a lil more for a true powerlifting squat.
    Last edited by Big J; 09-20-2004 at 02:14 PM.
    Southern Pride !

Quote Originally Posted by IPF
    The lifter must bend the knees and lower the body until the top surface of the legs at the hip joint is lower than the top of the knees.
    Hard to tell with the shorts/shirt, but looks close.
    Last edited by Anthony; 09-20-2004 at 04:39 PM.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

no like big j said. hes pretty much right on the mark. you should go down another 2-3"
    Rock Quotes:
    -Girls like big strong men, all the other men has to find a niche or a thing they supposedly love, you know...like saving whales or reading books, to get laid.
    -Look..first I am scared little freezing virgin munk, but then I bare my self and I am nothing like a freezing virgin!
    -Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke, he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    And I'll clench my buttcheeks as hard as I can to keep free of intruders.

journal

Thanks for all the replies guys... I really appreciate it. I'll just be safe and go another 2" lower and give you guys another picture. My 12" box is pretty low so I'm almost definite that it's parallel.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by debussy
    Thanks for all the replies guys... I really appreciate it. I'll just be safe and go another 2" lower and give you guys another picture. My 12" box is pretty low so I'm almost definite that it's parallel.
    Dave Tate: "As far as the definition of "parallel," it's defined as when the crease of the hip is in line with the top of the knee."

man that looked pretty damn close to me. you wouldn't happen to have a PL judge in yer gym would ya? anyone who has competed before would know.

box squats llike that=mucho easier then w/o that box to stop you....i dont think you would have gotten 315 without the box there...o yea and that is parellel, but dont use the box next time....sorta defeats the purpose of going parrelle like that

take it from me right now im p squating a lilttle lower then you 225 for reps, but with a box like that i can do the same ammount of reps with 300 :ř
    Last edited by emjlr3; 09-27-2004 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by emjlr3
    box squats llike that=mucho easier then w/o that box to stop you....i dont think you would have gotten 315 without the box there...o yea and that is parellel, but dont use the box next time....sorta defeats the purpose of going parrelle like that

take it from me right now im p squating a lilttle lower then you 225 for reps, but with a box like that i can do the same ammount of reps with 300 :ř
    I disagree. When I do box squats, I do signifigantly less weight than I do with a regular squat. Reason being, you lose all momentum, and stretch reflex when you squat with a box.

If you're using the box properly, you'll do less weight.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

well when i do squats i do pause squats, so maybe that helps

i didnt know you had momentum with squats unless you bounce at the bottom....which you should'nt be doing...and if you watch him doing them he rocks back then rocks forward which creates a good bit of momentum
    Last edited by emjlr3; 09-28-2004 at 09:40 AM.

i didnt know you had momentum with squats unless you bounce at the bottom....which you should'nt be doing...and if you watch him doing them he rocks back then rocks forward which creates a good bit of momentum
    No. There is something called the stretch reflex, you stretch your hips on the way down, and after a while they want to get of that, so they are in a primed position to explode out. (hence why lineman in football get in a squat position in there 3 point stance, and can get a lot more leg drive than if they were standing up). Now, when you do a box squat, you lose that stretch reflex...why? you may ask, because the box has now taken the job of supporting all of that weight, not your hips doing it any more, it is now the box bareing the load. So when you try and squat up, it is much more difficult, than if you were to just go down, get the stretch reflex, and go up.

Well watch some big pl they reflex, bounce or what ever out of the bottom.

the biggest guys ive seen at the gym always pause at the bottom, not bounce...that is just stupid, lest all bounce and cheat to make ourselfves look stronger

the biggest guys ive seen at the gym always pause at the bottom, not bounce...that is just stupid, lest all bounce and cheat to make ourselfves look stronger
    You're missing the point sorely. By the way, anyone can say "they saw someone do something", so that is totally not credible evidence, it is a cop out. I can say I squat 2000 lbs. so you have to listen to what I have to say. Or I can say that I saw someone at the gym squat 324324235 lbs., and he's huge, and paused at the bottom, so that must be right. Your logic is way off.

To add, if you are doing enough weight, there is no way to bounce out of the bottom, you can explode out of it, but not bounce. Exploding out of the bottom is what you want to achieve, you want to push more weight in a legal fashion. Remember, this is a "Olympic/Powerlifting" forum, not a bodybuilding one.

Well I was thinking of world record powerlifters, suits wraps and all call it a reflex that sounds good. I'm with Salah

Anyway, I gotta admit that I did cheat on that box squat a little bit. I shouldn't have rocked forward. Abot the box squats being easier... I don't think I've ever heard of anyone box squatting more than they free squat.

If someone says they do they have a really, really high box.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

i do, and i dont have a high box.....o yes and you missed my point completely, someone said bouncing at the bottom is good...i said it was bad...then you just went on ranting about nothing, then talked about how what i say isnt true....if you can believe what people do or see and write about on here, then what the hell is the point of even posting here....that was just beyond stupid

explosions is always good, everyone knows that. but "bouncing" like i said, is a no go, and like i said if you watch the powerlifter....they pause at the bottom then explode up, like i said

i do, and i dont have a high box.....o yes and you missed my point completely, someone said bouncing at the bottom is good...i said it was bad...then you just went on ranting about nothing, then talked about how what i say isnt true....if you can believe what people do or see and write about on here, then what the hell is the point of even posting here....that was just beyond stupid

explosions is always good, everyone knows that. but "bouncing" like i said, is a no go, and like i said if you watch the powerlifter....they pause at the bottom then explode up, like i said
    No, powerlifters do not pause at the bottom. You've obviously never been to a meet, none the less participated in one. Another thing, what I said was, there is NO such thing as bouncing out of the bottom of a squat, there is exploding, but not bouncing. You can't "bounce" off of the bottom cause there is nothing to bounce off of. Educate yourself before you go off trying to make your self sound like some sort of a guru.

i think maybe emijlr3 is used to bodybuilding type squatting. I know when doing atf closer stance squats you can get a bounce from the bottom. But like someone said, this is a p lifting thread, not bbing.
    Beer helped slow down my metabolism.... -ozzyman

Quote Originally Posted by bill
    Well watch some big pl they reflex, bounce or what ever out of the bottom.
    this is what i was referring to, but yall jumped down my throat, i go by what ive seen in videos of meets and such, im not a powerlifter and dont pretend to, but the big guys go down, they pause at parrelel, then push up, like i said

Wannabebig Member
    Emjlr3,

How long do you pause for? As has been said, no one squats more with a box than without one. In my experience, even with a pause up to 3 seconds at the bottom of the motion, I still squat less than that while using a box to the same depth.

If he's box squatting properly(releasing tension of glutes and hamstrings while on the box) that rocking motion did nothing but make the lift harder by increasing the distance the bar had to move.

this is what i was referring to, but yall jumped down my throat, i go by what ive seen in videos of meets and such, im not a powerlifter and dont pretend to, but the big guys go down, they pause at parrelel, then push up, like i said
    The Power lifters aren't pausing because they have to, if you notice a pause, it is because they are doing so much weight, that they can't move the bar quickly out of the bottom.