The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar

Shoulder burning from bench.

Okay, I've been trying some DB benching lately. I think they're really good, except that when I do the DB bench (palms facing inward) my left shoulder gives out before my chest or triceps did. I know I could've done at least like 4 more reps if it hadn't been for my left shoulder.

The same thing happens when I'm doing Calf Presses on the Leg Press machine, except it's with my left calf. My left calf gives out before my right one does, when I know I could've done like 4 more reps with my right one. I'm thinking of doing some separate calf-work for my left leg. Maybe that'll help my left calf catch up?
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 10-01-2004 at 06:12 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

use a machine... alot of it is pressure on your joints caused by weak(er) muscles.

machines eliminate as best possible all stresses on joints (cartilage and the works).

and by machine i mean those brand spanking new one in the gym that all the skinny ppl use and think theyre "toning" by setting it to 10lbs. Ya those 1s, the rusted machines will add more friction and reinstate the pressure on the joints u seem to be suffering.

gl hf
    think youve got an edge on me? think again.

Shad

No, it's not like its a bad thing in my shoulder. It's good that my shoulders are getting a good workout. It's just that I want my chest to get the main workout from that exercise, not my shoulder.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Wannabebig Member
    how is your positioning of the DBs? Try bringing the DBs down to your lower chest.

Quote Originally Posted by BaamIce
    how is your positioning of the DBs? Try bringing the DBs down to your lower chest.
    What do you mean by that? Explain.

And my positioning is like so: I have the DB's on my chest, and then I lift them up, with my palms facing in (almost like the style of chest flys) but then I bring the DBs down as low as I can and then lift them into the air again. And when I'm lifting them, I sorta bring the DBs to the center so that they almost touch.
    Lifting Journal

Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes

And my positioning is like so: I have the DB's on my chest, and then I lift them up, with my palms facing in (almost like the style of chest flys) but then I bring the DBs down as low as I can and then lift them into the air again. And when I'm lifting them, I sorta bring the DBs to the center so that they almost touch.
    i remember reading an article that the best way to db bench is to hold the dbs like you would with bbs as opposed to facing in.

when you bring the dbs down there are many ways you can bring them down. you could bring the dbs down to your upper chest. or mid chest or lower chest, etc etc. there isnt just a fixed range of motion when you bring the dbs down unlike a machine. try simulating it right now. youll get it.

Quote Originally Posted by T_Chapman
    when you bring the dbs down there are many ways you can bring them down. you could bring the dbs down to your upper chest. or mid chest or lower chest, etc etc. there isnt just a fixed range of motion when you bring the dbs down unlike a machine. try simulating it right now. youll get it.
    I don't really know exactly what part of my chest I bring it down to. I just bring it down naturally without even thinking about it.
    Lifting Journal

Wannabebig Member

Palms facing in is good keep it that way. Used to do it palms perpendicular to body but i felt more my delts working than chest and tris. I mean bringing them down so that the palm is just a little above your naval

Quote Originally Posted by BaamIce
    Palms facing in is good keep it that way. Used to do it palms perpendicular to body but i felt more my delts working than chest and tris. I mean bringing them down so that the palm is just a little above your naval
    So, you're saying to not bring it down as far?
    Lifting Journal

dont do DB press for your pecks?

try something else?

use a macine, i find chestpress and incline chestpress work wonders for the pecs?

Shad

Wannabebig Member
    Whats wrong with db press for pecs. Dont see that they would be any worse than machines. In fact through the utilisation of all hte stabilizer muscles, a possible fuller range of motion etc, I would imagine that db press would be better than all but the very best of chest machine exercises

your missing my point max,

i was trying to say, try soemthing different for the chest?

if hes not feeling it in the chest; and thats what he wants to be working out, hes wasting his time.

so mightaswell try something else, doesnt have to be a machine.

Shad

Wannabebig Member
    Agreed. I was probably a bit quick off the mark there. I definitely believe a wide range of exercies should be incorporated into an individuals workout routine. I always find flyes to be a good direct chest hitter!!!

Wannabebig Member
    So, you're saying to not bring it down as far?
    No. with DBs you get a better ROM you want to bring them down all the way your upper arm should be relatively a45 degree angle from your torso when the DBs are all the way down. thats where my arms are at anyway.