The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

A suggestion from Edward Byrd in a routine to keep having gains

I was reading a book by Edward A. Byrd and in his exercise portion of the book, he says that for lean mass, people should split their workouts into 4 cycles.

The first cycle would be Hypertrophy, which consists of each set to have 8-12 reps. He says that each set should go to failure. Do the max weight where failure is at the 12th rep. Wait 1 1/2 mins and the next set would be 11 or 10 reps, and so on. From what I understand, the weight doesn't change. This cycle is for 4 weeks.

The second cycle is Strength. This has a 5-9 rep range failure with a rest period of 2 mins betweens sets. This cycle is also 4 weeks.

The third cycle is Power. This has a 1-3 rep range to failure with rest periods of 2-3 minutes, which is also 4 weeks.

The fourth and final cycle is Recuperation. This cycle should be 1-4 weeks so that the body can recover.

He says that when you are training hypertrophy, you are also training strength and power as well, just not 100% and that's what he says that this type of periodization will do. He also states that if you continue to make progress in the Hypertrophy cycle, you should stick with it until the progress slows, then move onto the Strength cycle and so on. Note that he also says that diet has a lot to do with it.

What do you guys think on take on this?
    ANYTHING can happen on a TUESDAY!!!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Sounds good to me becuase it offers a change in your routine...something that we all need at one time or another

See the thing is in the routines he has in each cycles have the same exercises and sets. The only things that change are the reps and the tempo the exercises are to be performed.

Anyone else have an opinion?
    ANYTHING can happen on a TUESDAY!!!

Disciple#1
    Never read the acticle but i'm currently cycling: week1 6-8reps; week2 8-12 reps; week3 (add weight)6-8reps; week4 (week3 weight) 8-12reps. Repeat from week1.

Seem to be making good progress/gains and i'm able to stay within the set rep range. Thinking of doin this for 12 weeks then changing exersises slightly to hit muscles in differant ways. As for the whole "your body adapts" thing, i'm not sure i put alot of faith in that for the time being. I've read so many differant point of view on it i'm not sure which to believe, so i'll leave it too my own experiances to learn if/whats true about it.

So much disinformation and conflicting views are not a good thing, and i find it hard to see how your body can adapt/get too used to an exersise if your continually increasing weight to compensate After all this is resistance training not a an endurance test...
    You never know what you can do, until you try to do more than you can.

Wannabebig Member
    I'm doing a similar thing.
    I'm starting out on each exercise where I can just (or fail on last rep or two of final set) do 3x12. Each week I will add weights on until I can only do sets of 4 by the end, this is expected to endure 8 weeks or so.

im gonna start periodization today... like ur 4 week cycles
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: 175lbs
    Body Fat around 12%
    Biceps: 14.5"
    Chest: 38"

Bench Press: 225 x 10 reps and 275 pounds x 1 rep
    Deadlift: 405 pounds x 1 rep
    Squat: 335 pounds x 3 reps

It makes perfect sense, i would however switch it up. I would do the strength phase first then the hypertrophy that way your lifting the heaviest weight possible for 8-12 reps. Thats what I did last bulk and had great success.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Timastyle
    I was reading a book by Edward A. Byrd and in his exercise portion of the book, he says that for lean mass, people should split their workouts into 4 cycles.

The first cycle would be Hypertrophy, which consists of each set to have 8-12 reps. He says that each set should go to failure. Do the max weight where failure is at the 12th rep. Wait 1 1/2 mins and the next set would be 11 or 10 reps, and so on. From what I understand, the weight doesn't change. This cycle is for 4 weeks.

The second cycle is Strength. This has a 5-9 rep range failure with a rest period of 2 mins betweens sets. This cycle is also 4 weeks.

The third cycle is Power. This has a 1-3 rep range to failure with rest periods of 2-3 minutes, which is also 4 weeks.

The fourth and final cycle is Recuperation. This cycle should be 1-4 weeks so that the body can recover.

He says that when you are training hypertrophy, you are also training strength and power as well, just not 100% and that's what he says that this type of periodization will do. He also states that if you continue to make progress in the Hypertrophy cycle, you should stick with it until the progress slows, then move onto the Strength cycle and so on. Note that he also says that diet has a lot to do with it.

What do you guys think on take on this?
    The training cycles seem to be fairly short and the recuperation cycle a bit too long (if you are doing the 4 weeks) Plus this routine has you training to failure for 12 weeks or more. I'm not a big fan of always training to failure, that's hard on the CNS. Some people do and like it, but personally I don't think it's good for most people.

Bottom line: There is more than one way to achieve size and strength. This doesn't look all that good, but if you want to, try it out and see.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 05-06-2006 at 10:47 PM.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Yes, the idea of a) periodizing and b) mixing hypertrophy, strength and power based training is very good. Personally, I wouldn't be taking each set to failure.

I like this because it is nice and basic unlike many other programs. The more basic the program is, the easier it is for the trainee to make changes based on his own body's reaction.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Banned
    Would it be a good idea to apply this technique to WBB1?
    For example, I've been using WBB1 for a good 6-8 weeks and my gains are starting to slow. I am taking a week off for rest and other reasons (its a long story) and I want to start a new routine when I get back to lifiting. Could I just do WBB1, but change the rep ranges to 1-3 reps and add more rest? Would this work?

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing
    Would it be a good idea to apply this technique to WBB1?
    For example, I've been using WBB1 for a good 6-8 weeks and my gains are starting to slow. I am taking a week off for rest and other reasons (its a long story) and I want to start a new routine when I get back to lifiting. Could I just do WBB1, but change the rep ranges to 1-3 reps and add more rest? Would this work?
    thats the beuty of the WBB routines, you do it for a while and then change it to suit your new goals. It gives you a good base to build off of.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle