The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Yet Another "Check out this Split" Post.

A little about me in way of a refresher: I've been working out off and on for two years. For the past five months, I've been on. I haven't missed a week or even a single day, I've seen significant gains while maintaining a very lean frame. I'm nearly 6'3", and I weigh about 185 (I'm ballparking it, because I've been at school for five weeks without a scale). My weight is not a good indicator, because my left leg is probably ten pounds underweight due to a significant childhood accident. I was between 160 and 165 before I began lifting.

I don't want to be big, I want to be huge. I want 25 pounds without gear, which seems like a long, hard struggle with my tall frame. I've been on a split similar to the WBB routines for a few months, and it's gone well. But I've plateaued somewhat and I'm bored. Here's what I'm toying around with now:

Assume most exercises have two warmup sets, roughly 30% of max and 60% of max. Further, I normally do 3 sets of 8 reps -- but this isn't set in stone for me. I don't shoot myself if I can't do 3 sets of 8 pullups, for instance. Also, I may do more sets of squats on my leg day.

Monday: Legs

Squats
    Leg press
    Donkey calve press
    Leg Extension

Tuesday: Chest

BB Bench press
    DB flies
    Weighted dips
    Decline Bench press
    Pec Deck

Wednesday: Back

Bentover Rows
    Lat pulldowns
    Closegrip pullups
    Seated pullyrows
    T-Bar

Thursday: Shoulders/Legs

Military press
    Lat raises
    Arnold press
    Shrugs
    Squats
    Donkey calve
    Leg extensions

Friday: Biceps/Triceps

DB curls
    BB curls
    DB skullcrushers
    Closegrip pullups
    Tricep pressdowns
    Dips

Saturday and Sunday off.

What do we think? I think there's a good balance there, and that I wouldn't be overtraining. Deads are absent right now because (a) I don't have a belt and (b) I injured myself rather badly two weeks before school when trying to do them. If I get a belt for Christmas (and therefore some confidence) I'll begin doing them again.

I realize there's a plethora of "check out this split" posts, but -- hell -- check out this split.

Thanks,

Mike

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    I think you should do some leg curls for the hamstrings.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.