Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brink's Unified Theory of Nutrition

Quote Originally Posted by Vido
    Everyone agrees that clean teeth are better than rotting ones.

Not everyone wants to look like a bodybuilder.
    You're missing the point Vido. It's the ability to use this information that is being discussed. It's one thing to say something and another to actually apply it.

I agree though that not everyone wants to become a bodybuilder, whatever that means. But surely if the information that one presents can not be translated to real life results, there is a problem?
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Maki Riddington
    If you're gonna talk the talk, make sure you can walk it as well, otherwise credibility is going to be tough to establish.
    Aren't you a big fan of Lyle?

Banned
    But surely if the information that one presents can not be translated to real life results, there is a problem?
    I wouldn't call it a problem. Some people don't have the desire to use their knowledge.

I'll just use myself as an example. I would never call myself an "expert" on nutrition, but I know a fair amount...certainly I could look a lot better than I do now if I didn't go out to the bar with friends or eat garbage all the time. See my point?

I agree that it's more difficult to take advice from someone who "doesn't walk the walk", but you have to step back and realize that's a fairly narrow-minded viewpoint.

Aren't you a big fan of Lyle?

What constitutes being a fan?? I follow his readings from time to time and agree with what he has to say for the most part, but I don't exactly swing off his nut sack.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Banned
    What constitutes being a fan?? I follow his readings from time to time and agree with what he has to say for the most part, but I don't exactly swing off his nut sack.
    lol, calm down...I never said you did. My point is that Lyle is someone whose knowledge far surpasses his physique. He also happens to be someone who I think you respect.

I wouldn't call it a problem. Some people don't have the desire to use their knowledge.

I'll just use myself as an example. I would never call myself an "expert" on nutrition, but I know a fair amount...certainly I could look a lot better than I do now if I didn't go out to the bar with friends or eat garbage all the time. See my point?

I agree that it's more difficult to take advice from someone who "doesn't walk the walk", but you have to step back and realize that's a fairly narrow-minded viewpoint.
    Knowledge is not attained by plowing through a list of studies. It needs to be applied. Until you are in a position where you teach others you will not fully grasp this concept. And this is by no means an insult towards you Vido.

If I talk the talk but don't walk it, what does it make me? It makes me a hypocrite. Now I am not saying Lyle is a hypocrite because if I remember correctly he was at one point at a very repsectable bodyweight and bodyfat level.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

lol, calm down...I never said you did. My point is that Lyle is someone whose knowledge far surpasses his physique. He also happens to be someone who I think you respect.
    I am calm. I was just asking what you meant by being a fan. I repsect those that back up what they preach.

Lyle may not be applying himself to his fullest capabilities and that's probably because he suffers from something called self-discipline, just like many of us do on this board.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

Banned
    If I talk the talk but don't walk it, what does it make me? It makes me a hypocrite. Now I am not saying Lyle is a hypocrite because if I remember correctly he was at one point at a very repsectable bodyweight and bodyfat level.
    Lyle may not be applying himself to his fullest capabilities and that's probably because he suffers from something called self-discipline, just like many of us do on this board.
    Those posts right there are basically what I'm saying though. For a plethora of reasons, someone may not look as good as they could; that doesn't mean they don't know what they're talking about.

Ok, but that was not what I was referring to.

Having knowledge and having the desire to use that knowledge are 2 totally different things.
    Some people don't have the desire to use their knowledge.
    My statements were in reference to the above.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

Banned
    I don't see how you're a hypocrite for KNOWING something and DOING something else. If someone asks for your advice you're going to give them an answer based on what they SHOULD be doing, not on what you currently are doing. I can sit on here in the Diet Forum all day and give advice, while I chow down on pizza and cookies. You don't see me recommending pizza and cookies because that wouldn't make any sense. I'm well aware those aren't foods I should be eating, but do I anyway? Yes, of course.

Always in the Action Severed Ties's Avatar
    I gotta agree with Vido on this, look at coachs for pro bodybuilders or powerlifters and many times you will find goliath being trained by david.

If you choice to disagree with information based on some point of reason or experience fine but rejecting information because the person giving it is smaller than you sounds like the kind of reasoning I expect to hear in a highschool gym.

ST
    Last edited by Severed Ties; 02-19-2005 at 06:00 PM.
    "Your bench makes Jesus cry." -Shark

This is 10% luck, 15% skill, 20% concentrated power of will, 5% pleasure and 50% pain, and 100% reason to remember the name...

I don't see how you're a hypocrite for KNOWING something and DOING something else. If someone asks for your advice you're going to give them an answer based on what they SHOULD be doing, not on what you currently are doing. I can sit on here in the Diet Forum all day and give advice, while I chow down on pizza and cookies. You don't see me recommending pizza and cookies because that wouldn't make any sense. I'm well aware those aren't foods I should be eating, but do I anyway? Yes, of course.
    You do follow what you believe in but at times you stray from it. That is fine. I am talking about those who do not practice what they preach at all. Which is what I clearly showed you were getting at with the two statements I highlighted in my above post.

"a person who professes beliefs and opinions that he does not hold"

If you do not act upon a belief but profess them through teachings what does that make you? Bear in mind that to know something is to believe it and to profess what you believe in but not hold true to your own teachings is hypocrisy. I don't know how you are even trying to debate this fact Vido.

I am a bit lost at what you are trying to get at with all this back and forth chatter. You seem to keep changing your points to make different points when all I was getting at was this. If you're gonna talk the talk you better be walking it otherwise your credibility will be limited. Argue all you want but this is the cold truth.
    Last edited by Maki Riddington; 02-19-2005 at 06:14 PM.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

Quote Originally Posted by Severed Ties
    I gotta agree with Vido on this, look at coachs for pro bodybuilders or powerlifters and many times you will find goliath being trained by david.

If you choice to disagree with information based on some point of reason or experience fine but rejecting information because the person giving it is smaller than you sounds like the kind of reasoning I expect to hear in a highschool gym.

ST
    I never even remotley touched on this in any of my posts.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

This caught my eye as well....

New data supports Low glycemic diet

Public release date: 26-Aug-2004
    [ Print This Article | Close This Window ]

elizabeth.andrews@childrens.harvard.edu
    617-355-6420
    Children's Hospital Boston

New data validate the low-glycemic diet
    Recruits sought for large human trial of 'atkins alternative'
    A carefully controlled animal study provides clear evidence that a low-glycemic-index (low-GI) diet – one whose carbohydrates are low in sugar or release sugar slowly – can lead to weight loss, reduced body fat, and reduction in risk factors for diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
    "The study findings should give impetus to large-scale trials of low-GI diets in humans," says senior author David Ludwig, MD, PhD, director of the Optimal Weight for Life (OWL) obesity program at Children's Hospital Boston. His group's findings appear in the August 28th issue of The Lancet.

Many studies, including small studies in humans, have suggested that low-GI diets are beneficial, but due to study design, the observed benefits could have come from other aspects of the subjects' diets, such as fiber or overall caloric intake. For this reason, no major health agency or professional association references glycemic index in their dietary guidelines, Ludwig says.

In the current study, rats were fed tightly controlled diets with identical nutrients, except for the type of starch. Both diets were 69 percent carbohydrates, but 11 rats were randomly assigned to a high-GI starch and 10 to a low-GI starch. Food portions were controlled to maintain the same average body weight in the two groups. ..................................................................................................
    Good posts, ST. Interesting read - thanks.

I don't like this part of the second experiment though (highlighted in bold) - looks a bit dodgy to me.
    Last edited by TTT; 02-19-2005 at 06:46 PM.

I never even remotley touched on this in any of my posts.

My response is in regards to Chris's point about Brink being built like a stringbean. However I wasn't sure what to make of your post below so I left my response general. If I misunderstood then I apologize for taking it out of context.

If you're gonna talk the talk, make sure you can walk it as well, otherwise credibility is going to be tough to establish.

ST
    Last edited by Severed Ties; 02-19-2005 at 06:55 PM.

This is 10% luck, 15% skill, 20% concentrated power of will, 5% pleasure and 50% pain, and 100% reason to remember the name...

Wannabebig Member
    Everyone agrees that clean teeth are better than rotting ones.

Not everyone wants to look like a bodybuilder.
    EXACTLY RIGHT!!

The football coach analogy could just as well apply to any sport. I doubt many trainers/coaches of boxing, bicycling, marathon running, etc. look like or perform like those they are training.

Yeah, except the football coaches (for the most part) played ball at one point. They walked the walk at some point as have nearly all coaches.

I hope everyone noted the fact that I did not say my thoughts on the subject are rational or correct, they are my opinion. I just can't have a squid training me. That's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by TTT
    Good posts, ST. Interesting read - thanks.

I don't like this part of the second experiment though (highlighted in bold) - looks a bit dodgy to me.

TTT- the highlighted part is the most critical part of the study. The food portions need to be controlled to measure if there is any significant difference between the rats being fed hi-GI and low GI diets. It is definitly odd that the researchers choose to feed them a caloric intake to maintain the same average bodyweight but if you go to the full study I'd be very interested to see if the lo-GI group was feed more calories per day to maintain there weight or if there were any changes in fat to LBM ratio's. I agree the reseachers choose an odd way to go about it as a fixed diet for both groups seems logical.

ST

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason
    I did not say my thoughts on the subject are rational or correct, they are my opinion.
    Well that just about kills any response I may have had...strong Chris...I conceed defeat for now,lol

ST

My response is in regards to Chris's point about Brink being built like a stringbean. However I wasn't sure what to make of your post below so I left my response general. If I misunderstood then I apologize for taking it out of context.

ST
    Note the words "tough to establish."
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

Lol, and really an opinion I should have kept to myself. Brink is probably a great guy.

Wannabebig Member
    I agree with you that I would not want some fat slob or skinny geek as a personal trainer, but I thought the point of the post that got this going was the validity of a researcher's results based on what he looks like. I need to scroll up and see if my memory is correct.

Wannabebig Member
    Yep,
    My memory was correct.

"Has anyone ever seen Will Brink? The guy is a chubby little man who doesn't look like he trains or has any clue about nutrition.

When someone is supposed to be a guru they had better practice what they preach or I have a very hard time buying into their ideas (assuming they are able to practice it---i.e. not physically handicapped etc.). I might otherwise assume the lack of drive which allows themselves to look like a slob (if they are a fitness guy or gal) might just translate into their work and thus their work might be the result of a haphazard work ethic.

My 2 cents."

Anyway, the only reason I am posting is I want my post total to go up, LOL.

Banned
    My response is in regards to Chris's point about Brink being built like a stringbean.
    That's what I was talking about the whole time too. I will leave at that.

i believe we can all agree to disagree...

lets just follow the advice of the legend himself Ron Burgundy who sculpts his guns with unmatched precsison..

"when in rome"
    PRs
    bp-295x2, 225x15 squat-405x3
    height 5'2 weight 140lbs

All hail mase, the king of homosexual reference. - xian
    Pfffff. I've had jerk off sessions more intense than that workout. StackAttack in reference to CanadianCripplers w/o

Fuzzy Pics 6/07 http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=98659