The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

How much do tall, lanky guys need to eat get big?

I am an avid weightlifter (3-4 times per week) and I have been lifting for the past two years. I have gotten toned and much definition, but I want to get bigger. I don't want to be so big that people have to guess whether my bulk is fat or muscle, but I want people to be able to clearly see that it is all muscle (in other words, I want people to see that I have a clearly visible six pack.
    I know what to do weightlifting wise and I take a scoop of whey protein every day. My question is, how much do I need to eat--I feel like I am eating enough (usually my rule is that whenever I am hungry I will eat). Can anyone give me an idea of how much I need to eat? Thanks.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Are you currently gaining weight on what you're eating?

If the answer is 'no' then you're not eating enough.

Track your calories as best you can on www.fitday.com and keep an eye on your weight... if it's not moving up, shovel more food in.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Quote Originally Posted by ShockBoxer
    Are you currently gaining weight on what you're eating?

If the answer is 'no' then you're not eating enough.

Track your calories as best you can on www.fitday.com and keep an eye on your weight... if it's not moving up, shovel more food in.

I'm 6'5, I like to think I am big, I am told I am big..I don't feel I'm nearly big as I want to be LOL. I've got long arms and legs so I've got more space than others. But check my profile pic if you want. Anyway, I eat when I'm not hungry. For me to get this way I went up to 220lbs from 190. Then I cut back down to 200. I'm bulking now so hoepfully I can pack on some more mass.

Stuff you're face with high protein, you should be able to eat reasonable things as well with protein if you are working out with lots of intensity. If you're diet is given attention, you won't be getting fat, also you need to not worry about putting on a little fat if you want to go in the direction that bodybuilders do. There is always clean bulking which takes longer than regular bulking.

Basically I eat every few hours, I suppliment with a protein shake when I am not so hungry and want something other than water. (I mix with milk)

Eat a big breakfast, and throughout the day, keep on eating up until before you go to bed. Eat, watch some tv and go to sleep. I'd even wake up at 3am and eat like a turkey/cheese sandwich and a PB sandwich. Get you're sleep, and some extra sleep when possible...this is when you're muscles do their true growing.

I don't think people are going to care tooo much about six packs, I have yet to get mine, I've got 2, sometimes 4 on a good day. I'll get mine next cut that will be my goal. Also note that a six pack will come from cutting, not bulking. Six packs are revealed through fat loss all over the body. However, you can develop a nice six-pack and reveal it to it's full potential during you're cut.

If you think you're eating enough, you're not. A scoop of whey a day will not help you gain weight. Eat until the scale says you are gaining weight.

Get Big or Die Trying
    Hey man, im kinda tall and lanky myself, 6'3 210 lbs. I used to get so frustrated that i couldnt seem to gain weight, but then i got serious and started tracking my calories. If you want to gain weight then you definetely need to abandon your rule of eating only when you are hungry. You want to eat on a timed schedule, say every 4 hours or so. Also, if your only taking 1 scoop of whey a day and not getting your bodies protein requirements you are just spinning your wheels. If you have trouble taking in that much protein from foods then you can always take two protein shakes a day which would be like 80grams right there. Anyways, hope this kinda helps, hopefully someone with more expertise can help but for now EAT EAT EAT.
    22 y/o Male
    6'3 195 lbs

Currently attending Grand Valley State University

"Get big or die trying"

Eating every four hours isn't enough. At least eat something every 3 hours. All getting a scoop of whey protein each day means is that you added 23 grams of protein to your intake for the day. There's nothing magical about the stuff.

It's so simple. It doesn't matter whether you're tall and lanky, or short and fat: to gain weight you need to eat more than what you're eating to stay at that weight. I have been tall and skinny my whole life (6'5" and 170 lbs just over a year ago, and now at 220+). Force the food down your mouth if you need to. Eat by the clock, instead of when you're hungry. I don't even allow myself to get hungry anymore, if possible. As soon as you get used to this idea you'll start putting on weight and getting bigger.

And if not, well, you'll just be another one of those guys who slaves away in the gym for years and doesn't get anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by xsandeepx
    I am an avid weightlifter (3-4 times per week) and I have been lifting for the past two years. I have gotten toned and much definition, but I want to get bigger. I don't want to be so big that people have to guess whether my bulk is fat or muscle, but I want people to be able to clearly see that it is all muscle (in other words, I want people to see that I have a clearly visible six pack.
    I know what to do weightlifting wise and I take a scoop of whey protein every day. My question is, how much do I need to eat--I feel like I am eating enough (usually my rule is that whenever I am hungry I will eat). Can anyone give me an idea of how much I need to eat? Thanks.
    Well, I'm 6'5 and I'm currently eating 3,500-4,000 calories a day now.

My diet breaks down to this pretty much everyday now atleast, I've got classes at 11.

10am : 2 Scoop Whey protien, Bannana, Yogart.

1:00pm: pre work out: Whey Shake + Glutamine supp.

2:30pm: Post work out: Whey Shake + Either Qdoba Burrito/2 Egg Sammich/ with another yogart.

5pm : Dinner time : Normally some red meat, or chicken with veggies, and bread.

7pm : Whey shake + bannana.

And I have small stuff to snack on through out the day, normally being half a cup of peanuts through out the day.

This past week, when my family has seen me... It's pretty much me always eating, lol.
    Last edited by DeviceX; 07-29-2006 at 06:51 PM.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Most of your diet is whey shakes? You need to vary your diet more.

1:00pm: pre work out: Whey Shake + Glutamine supp.
    Ditch the glutamine. The only thing that's good for is emptying your wallet.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

You need to eat exactly the number of calories that will allow you to gain weight, and give you a comfortable ratio of fat:muscle gain.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

200 is small stuff. Margin Of Error's Avatar
    I've come to the conclusion that as an ectomorph I must go to bed with a belly like a pregnant woman every night.

If 50 lbs ago you told me how much I would have to eat to be even as big as I am now (which aint that big) I would have laughed in your face. I didnt even think it was possible to eat that much back then. My entire conception of eating has changed, for me I try to treat my body like a machine, being anabolic is a process that requires food, if you want your body to be as anabolic as possible, you must eat as much as possible. Increase in mass or strength has a direct correlation to your intake of calories.

I know its different depending on your bodytype but for me my main focus in bodybuilding has been diet, lifting the weights is secondary, it will def help you grow much faster, but no food equals no growth, plain and simple.
    It's easier to point out the differences between us than to admit the similarities.

This body holding me, reminds me of my own mortality.

Gamer/Lifter
    216546 cals per week.

On a serious note, eat as much as you can, and chances are you'll gain weight. Fat poeple do it all the time.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Quote Originally Posted by Nik00117
    216546 cals per week.

On a serious note, eat as much as you can, and chances are you'll gain weight. Fat poeple do it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN
    Most of your diet is whey shakes? You need to vary your diet more.

Ditch the glutamine. The only thing that's good for is emptying your wallet.
    Will ditch the gluatmine.

Shakes are always there, just depends on wether or not I can make something up. Just thought i'd give a rough break down of what it normally looks like for a fellow tall and lanky dude

Only ones that are always the same are pre/post work out.

The others sorta depend on wether I feel like making toast with peanut butter, and other such things.
    Last edited by DeviceX; 07-30-2006 at 12:35 PM.

Eat til' you have to poop all day long. The toilet and I are bros, we spend a lot of time together.
    Scars are tatoos with better stories.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    That's disgusting Nosaj. Thanks for sharing.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Sharing is caring. Oh, and my diet was mostly shakes for like 4 months, don't knock it til' you try it, it works great. 5 shakes a day, 3 poops a day, like clockwork.
    Scars are tatoos with better stories.

Wannabebig New Member

WOW Thanks

Thanks for all the advice--I guess I really need to start eating more, but I just have this phobia of being fat, which I think is why I do not eat enough to gain in the first place
    Another thing I want to do is keep my body fat down--right now it is at 8% (the point according to Men's Health when one can begin to see six packs Livin it Up), but some of the guys that I lift with have body fats of 4%. Believe it or not a couple of years ago I used to weigh five pounds fewer than I do now and had a body fat percentage of 22% (even though I looked really skinny)! That's partly why I am so conscientious of what I ingest--I sure as hell don't want a body fat percentage anywhere above 10%.

Another problem that I have with eating all day is that I am a really busy student and I only come home at night usually, so I am forced to take whatever I want to eat with me pre- and post-workout for the whole day. What do you guys suggest I take that will last in a toasty car all day long?

Quote Originally Posted by xsandeepx
    Thanks for all the advice--I guess I really need to start eating more, but I just have this phobia of being fat, which I think is why I do not eat enough to gain in the first place
    Another thing I want to do is keep my body fat down--right now it is at 8% (the point according to Men's Health when one can begin to see six packs Livin it Up), but some of the guys that I lift with have body fats of 4%. Believe it or not a couple of years ago I used to weigh five pounds fewer than I do now and had a body fat percentage of 22% (even though I looked really skinny)! That's partly why I am so conscientious of what I ingest--I sure as hell don't want a body fat percentage anywhere above 10%.

Another problem that I have with eating all day is that I am a really busy student and I only come home at night usually, so I am forced to take whatever I want to eat with me pre- and post-workout for the whole day. What do you guys suggest I take that will last in a toasty car all day long?
    Yeah, I hear ya. I am not liking the idea of bulking at all, but it needs to be done.
    As far as you're car goes, maybe try getting a cooler there's several ways to store food in there and keep it cool. There has to be some way around this so that you can get whatever type of food you need. Friend's house? Dorm?
    So pretty much whatever now...since you *can keep you're stuff cool
    6'5"
    200lbs
    Bench - 270x5
    Squat - 350x5
    Bulking