The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hypertrophy vs. Periodization

From what I have gotten to understand from this forum is for size, hypertrophy is the desired way of working out. What is the difference between hypertrophy and periodization? I think that periodization is lifting with higher reps and slowly, through time, working to your max. Now is that's the case, why would one be preferred over the other? What are the benefits of each? Can you guys help?
    ANYTHING can happen on a TUESDAY!!!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Periodization is a type of routine where you lift based on percentages of max. Its more of a science to lifting with the goal of gaining strength/power.

Muscle Hypertrophy deals with how muscles grow in size.

A better comparison would be powerlifting vs bodybuilding. (aka size vs strength)

Quote Originally Posted by geoffgarcia
    Periodization is a type of routine where you lift based on percentages of max. Its more of a science to lifting with the goal of gaining strength/power.

Muscle Hypertrophy deals with how muscles grow in size.

A better comparison would be powerlifting vs bodybuilding. (aka size vs strength)
    That's not true. Periodization is any method which contains a cycle, followed by another cycle. There are lots of different periodization methods out there.

Linear periodization is what goes off of percentages, and is considered "the western way", which I used for years until I figured out how moronic that was.

Another way is conjugate periodization, which fits more with "westside" training etc...

Hypertrophy training is simply any exercise performed for 8-15 reps. You are trying to break down as many muscle fibers as you can, hence the higher number of repetitions.

ok, what i read about a type of periodization for building mass was to do a 4 week cycle of hypertrophy (8-12reps) - accelerate protein synthesis - increase muscle tissue - gain size - to take fast twitch and slow twitch muscles to failure on every set, 4 weeks of strength (5-9 reps) - increase functional capacity of muscles - boost strenth - actively engaging more muscle fiber within each muscle group, 4 week cycle of power (1-3 reps) - increase strength by augmenting muscle responsiveness - take neural system to failure, and 1-4 weeks recuperation. It said that these are the keys to gaining lean mass and that by doing this, you won't hit a wall with growing. By hitting hypertrophy, strength, and power on different cycles, and since each serve a specific function, by dedicating 100% to each will increase the benefits.

Why would one do this periodization over hypertrophy only? any thoughts?
    ANYTHING can happen on a TUESDAY!!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Timastyle
    Because your body gets used to lifting the same way over and over again, thus no new growth stimulus is put in place. This is fine until you stop being able to increase the amount of weight you are lifting. Periodization means your body will always have a new stimulus. That's my view anyway.

ok, what i read about a type of periodization for building mass was to do a 4 week cycle of hypertrophy (8-12reps) - accelerate protein synthesis - increase muscle tissue - gain size - to take fast twitch and slow twitch muscles to failure on every set, 4 weeks of strength (5-9 reps) - increase functional capacity of muscles - boost strenth - actively engaging more muscle fiber within each muscle group, 4 week cycle of power (1-3 reps) - increase strength by augmenting muscle responsiveness - take neural system to failure, and 1-4 weeks recuperation. It said that these are the keys to gaining lean mass and that by doing this, you won't hit a wall with growing. By hitting hypertrophy, strength, and power on different cycles, and since each serve a specific function, by dedicating 100% to each will increase the benefits.

Eeeek.

Go here
    http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle....le=body_129per

Then go here
    http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle....le=body_133per

I think that is what you're look for.

Wannabebig Member

If you are trying to build power instead of going for low reps (1-3) you should be using a real light weight (between 30-50% of your max) and trying to do reps as explosively/quickly as you can.

Banned
    I am sure they would have appreciated your advice.....A YEAR AND A HALF AGO!

Hypertrophy and periodization are not one or the other type concepts. They can work together quite well.

Me thinks you could benefit from a quick search.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur