The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    bocajoes

A physical mess needs advice...

HELP! I need advice based on my personal stats and story:

My vital stats:
    Height: 5’10”
    Weight: 295 lbs.
    Resting heart rate: 105-110
    Cholesterol: 240
    Blood pressure: 150/100

5 years ago, I went from 287 lbs. to 210 lbs. by using Ripped Fuel (when Ephedra was still legal), which crushed my appetite and gave me enough energy to work out for 2.5 hours per night. I only required 5.5 hours of sleep per night and I felt like Superman all day and all night. But, that was then…now, I have been warned by my doctor that I will be dead at a young age if I don’t change things.

I have always had a large frame, in fact, I was a competitive power lifter and college football player. I kept lifting throughout my 20’s and into my 30’s, although I rarely lift anymore because cash is very tight and I cannot afford even $30 a month for a gym membership (let alone the “initiation” fees.) Once my cash flow improves, I will start to lift weights again. For now, a 45 minute walk, 3-4 nights a week is all I can muster.

As you can tell from my vital stats, I am a mess right now. I have tried cutting my calories and eating only salad for lunch, but I get ravenous throughout the day. My appetite has always been huge, and I think that when I starve myself to the point where I feel dizzy…well, it’s a bad thing.

I have to get down to about 220, which I feel is a manageable weight for me. The question is, how? I am far from an expert on nutrition. I can’t always budget for lean meats and fresh food, so I eat frozen, prepared foods…probably 3 days per week. Breakfast is sometimes a low-fat peanut butter and sugar free jelly sandwich. I also eat canned soups, probably 3 days per week. Lunch will usually be a repeat of breakfast. Dinner is sometimes lean meat, frozen french fries fries (made with canola oil), and a veggie. Sometimes, dinner is a frozen entrée. I think the night time is my biggest area of concern. By 8:00, I am ravenous again, even though I ate dinner at 6.

I need advice on a workout routine – is my walking regimen enough? I need advice on a diet routine. Are fruits the enemy because of the sugar or are they good for me? Is a supplement like trim-spa or corti slim the answer? SO confused.

Thanks for your help. I am always amazed at the collective knowledge on these boards.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I'd start off by investing in dietOrganizer and tracking your intake for a month, then reporting back here with your weekly averages (at least 3 weeks worth) for protein, carbs, dietary fiber, saturated/poly/mono fat.

Without those numbers it difficult to access your diet other than to say eat less, exercise more.

or if money is really a concern use www.fitday.com. its free although Geoff doesnt like it

I dont think fitday has the ability to track weekly averages or the various types of fats and carbohydrates... but its true, dietOrganizer is about 30$

Down with the Sickness
    It actually does geoff it breaks it down even into sat mono and poly

Bocajoe i would suggest you do a run/walk program you can find ot here
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/...-0-236,00.html

that is a good place to start also i would suggest you run tues thurs and sat(optional sat) and do push-up and situp on mon wed friday. We used to do this in the army and it can be very strenuous or eased into until you have the ability to work up to a strenuous level. If you are consistent which you should be given your BP and cholesterol you will see marked improvments within the first month given that your diet changes also.

Doctors don't usually give you advice on what to eat they just tell you the bad news and leave it up to you to do the rest. See if you can't get a consult from your doctor to see a nutrionist and adjust your diet accordingly also if you have health insurance sometimes they wil pay part of a gym membership for you you just have to inquire, and i will let you know that they will play dumb at first but dig for it.

Get rid of the already prepared meal i know it is a pain but most of all prepared meals are high in fats and processed so you get a little food with high calorie content. You want to eat rice and vegtables steer clear of beef and eat white meats chicken, turkey ,fish and so on.

Go to www.fitday.com and really seriously track your diet intake after about a week you can really see where your unhealthy choices are and make changes from there. I will tell you that vegtables are very low in caloirecontent so you can eat a good amount, chicken is also low in calories vs other meats.

As far as calorie intake to loose weight a guesstimate of your Resting metabolic rate is 2551.9 caloires a day, so if you lay in bed all day this is what your body would burn. You want to eat less than this in your diet and also excercise and the weight will come off. Again this is just general info i found a simple RMR calculator and typed in your stats this is what it came up with. If you drink beer stop this contributes to high cholesterol and if you smoke as hard as it is, it would be very beneficial to quit as this contributes to high cholesterol also.

I don't want to preach but this is a very good place to get info and most of the people are very knowlegdable here. For you to get anywhere set goals and write them on paper and track them weekly so you can see marked progress and it will keep you motivated. Measure your chest waist neck legs and so on set a number as faras weight goes and set a date when you want to get there.

GOOD LUCK!!

Quote Originally Posted by sublime99
    It actually does geoff it breaks it down even into sat mono and poly
    I see where it breaks down the fats, but how I get to see weekly averages?

Down with the Sickness
    Go into reports and you can find out weekly 2 week and monthly.

Wannabebig Member

Some Suggestions

BocaJoeS -

I realize the last post took place two weeks ago but as I'm in a similar situation I thought I could add what I've learned within the last few days. For starters, I'm a 21 year old, 5'9 college student who now tips the scale at 215lbs. I suppose thats a combination of muscle & fat but I could stand to lose a good deal of weight. I should also point out that I'm an extreme beginner at this so any advice I give is just based on a weeks worth of research. If I'm wrong I hope someone lets me know.

I don't think its necessary for guys like us to track our intake of various fats & carbs on a daily basis. Take my breakfast for example. Up until this week, I routinely started my day with two fried eggs, bacon, cheese, and potatoes on a bagel w/ salt, pepper & ketchup and a bottle of Snapple iced-tea. Since Monday, my breakfast has been a small portion of scrambled eggs, some assorted fruit - a strawberry or two, a few pieces of mellon balls, maybe even a segment of an orange - and a glass of ice water. I don't really need to register for a website to figure out which meal is more fattening.

Looking at your height & weight I'd assume you over eat as much as I used to. The obvious and simple solution to that problem is to stop. I used to eat until it felt as though I would throw up. Now I eat enough to keep me from being hungry. Tonight for dinner I had a moderate bowl of pasta with meat sauce. Typically I would have finished it and gone back for seconds because it was there. Tonight I opted to stop eating when I was no longer hungry.

One thing I've been having trouble over-coming is what I drink throughout the day. Typically, I'd have two classes (they look about 16-20oz) of soda with each meal. If an 8oz glass of soda is around 150 calories, I was consuming almost 1,000 calories in just soda. Instead, I drink water with every meal and allow myself half a glass of Pepsi w/ dinner.

I find eating six small meals a day a fantastic solution to the hunger that used to plague me when I dieted. Since I'm constantly eating, I'm never hungry. I just eat a little bit at a time.

Those are just some suggestions that I thought of off the top of my head. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor. Keep us posted on your accomplishments.

Wannabebig Member
    I should say though, I did open an account with fitday.com today just to keep track of what I've been eating. I don't know too much about the more specific stuff but I think its a good idea to have some idea of how many calories you've consumed in a day.

avoid things (like pepsi) that have high fructose cornsyrup, those make you fatter without making you feel fuller. chicken, tuna, beef.. vegetables and fruit, all those are pretty cheap and make a basis of a great diet, you dont need to spend money on an organizer, but you definatley DO need to track your calories, every single of them.
    6'0 - 176lb
    ~14% bf

Quote Originally Posted by body
    - women eat cream cakes when you are not looking and have chocolate in hiding places. There are no journal articles to refernce this fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinstarke
    I found that while my friends were good at drawing or skating i was good at moving heavy objects.

It doesnt seem that anyone yet has commented on your very unhealthy and worrisome stats....your resting heart rate and blood pressure are dangerously high. This can be due to a multitude of reasons with a cardiac issue or an overactive thyroid being tops on the list. Forget about working out and your diet now and get to a doc ASAP for an evaluation.

Banned
    Eat 2000 calories a day for a year. If that doesn't work I'll eat my hat.

I just posted a bunch of info for healthy eating:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=54064