Thread: Questions about Flax Seed Oil

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar

Questions about Flax Seed Oil

I got some Flax Seed Oil, but I still need your guys' help with the directions of the servings. It says to take up to 3 of these pills per day and to take them with each meal. Does this mean to take them before, during, or after the meal? Also, how many times a day do you guys take these? I don't wanna overdo it. And is Flax Seed Oil bad in any way? Or is it strictly good stuff? Also, should I get Fish Oil too?

TIA.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Banned
    Take them before the meal so you have food coming down your throat after and you won't get "flax oil burps" (I assume there's such a thing because there is "fish oil burps" and they suck.

I'd take about 6g/day.

i only have to take mine 2x a day, one pill in the morning, one at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Vido
    Take them before the meal so you have food coming down your throat after and you won't get "flax oil burps" (I assume there's such a thing because there is "fish oil burps" and they suck.

I'd take about 6g/day.
    But, I thought each pill was 1g. So, that's 6 pills per day? I must be wrong interpreting that, because that would definitely be an overdose.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Banned
    You're interpreting it perfectly. I don't know if you can overdose on flax oil, but I can assure you that it wouldn't be happening at 6g/day. If you were to buy the liquid form of flax oil, you'd be consuming it by the tablespoon, which equates to 14g/tbsp. When I can afford it, I buy the liquid and have about 4tbsp/day (56g)...and I'm just fine.

Banned
    I remember when I was mainlining this stuff (IVing it), I used to do up to 12grams and never OD'd....those were crazy times. Anyway there's no such thing as an overdose from flax oil, take as many as you want/need in your diet.

You're interpreting it perfectly. I don't know if you can overdose on flax oil, but I can assure you that it wouldn't be happening at 6g/day. If you were to buy the liquid form of flax oil, you'd be consuming it by the tablespoon, which equates to 14g/tbsp. When I can afford it, I buy the liquid and have about 4tbsp/day (56g)...and I'm just fine.
    But the bottle says to take no more than 3x/day. Or is it just crap? And as you guys will probably be taking more than me, is this normal since I am still young? Or can a 14-year-old like me take the same dosage as an adult?

And also, should I get fish oil?
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 10-06-2004 at 08:23 PM.
    Lifting Journal

Banned
    All they are is food in pill form. You'll be fine at 6g/day, age has nothing to do with it.

I'd finish the bottle of flax oil pills first, and the next time get fish oil...and just scrap the flax. Fish oil is basically the same thing, but better.

All they are is food in pill form. You'll be fine at 6g/day, age has nothing to do with it.

I'd finish the bottle of flax oil pills first, and the next time get fish oil...and just scrap the flax. Fish oil is basically the same thing, but better.
    Well, if you ignore all the extra mercury you are potentially consuming. Fish oil contain Omega-3 fatty acids in the form of DHA and EPA, while flax contains mostly the Omega-3 fatty acid ALA. However your body converts ALA to DHA and EPA.

Also, it is cheaper if you get it in the bottle rather than pill form. Also make sure you get your flax oil cold pressed and keep it refrigerated because heat can mess with ALA.

So, just get fish oil and don't get flax seed oil? I thought I heard you guys saying to take fish oil and flax seed? Whatever.

But one question- if Flax Seed Oil is like fatty acids and stuff, how is that fat supposed to help you? I don't understand.
    Lifting Journal

Did any of you taking flax oil notice positive effects ?

Or you could have 3 Tablespoons of flaxseeds a day.