Thread: sodium anyone?

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

sodium anyone?

I'de like to get a little something cleared up. What exactly are the negative effects to having an excess of sodium in your body. Say in one day you had a few french fries and then you went on and had some BBQ riblets, both containint high sodium. What are the temporary and permanent effects of this?

And while you guys are at it. Should you just avoid sodium altogether? Or do you need a cerain amount in your body to stay healthy?
    "There is no I in Communism" - Ayn Rand

Once I ate lunch at a deli and got a lot of salt into my body - Felt clammy and sick later.
    I do not add any salt (Sodium Chloride, aka Sodium) to food I cook at home and use a salt substitute (Potassium Chloride) sparingly on eggs, etc. I figure I get all the sodium I need naturally through the food and once in a while when I eat out.
    Long term, excessive sodium raises blood pressure and hardens arteries, and is also responsible for gastric cancer, osteoporisis, kidney stones, and damage to the heart and kidneys.
    Sodium and potassium also have an effect on cells in your body in the effect of the sodium-out/potassium-in pump regulating glucose and ATP and fluid balance in the body.
    You need adequate but not excessive amounts of both.
    The body cannot cope well with drastic changes in sodium intake.
    It is very hard to get sodium deficient by avoiding added salt in your diet unless you are an endurance athelete.
    Last edited by txterry; 10-07-2004 at 12:04 AM.

i heard after an hour of cardio you lose 3000mg of sodium and we get about 2000 naturally so..