Thread: Arnold Press question.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar

Arnold Press question.

When I do the Arnold Pres, I think I'm doing something wrong, because my rear delts don't really fell worked at all. I feel like the front and middle delts get owned, but not the rear. How should I fix this?
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

I don't think Arnold Press is supposed to work the rear delts. Sounds like you are doing it correctly. I never really liked the Arnold Press...takes forever to do...I'm impatient with it
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by Kiaran
    I don't think Arnold Press is supposed to work the rear delts. Sounds like you are doing it correctly. I never really liked the Arnold Press...takes forever to do...I'm impatient with it
    But I thought the purpose of the Arnold Press was to work the whole deltoid. And if I'm wrong and it is really only meant to hit the front and middle portion of the deltoid, is it necessary to also do rear deltoid work?
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Do that voodoo that he do
    The effect on the rear delt is minimal. Some on the eccentric (negative) portion of the movement, and a little bit on the sweeping portion (although that's mostly medial delt).

For shoulder health and development you should probably do some rear delt movements, too.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

When I first started lifting, I only ever did DB shoulder presses. The result was a massive front deltoid that looks sweet from the front but my shoulders sort of dissappeared when i turned to the side. I realized that there was more than one piece to the shoulder and more than one way to work them. I begain doing lateral raises, upright rows and didn't touch the shoulder presses for about a year. Now my routine was inconsistant, wasn't a very good one and all, however; the sides of my shoulders popped out nicely. I am now working on my rear delt to make it equal to my front. So...to make a long story short, yes, do multiple shoulder exercises. Rear delts are hard to hit, but this is my shoulder routine now:

Mil Press (Front)
    Lateral Raises (Medials)
    Bent Over Lateral Raises (Rear Delt)

True, they all work the entire shoulder to some degree, however; my front deltoid is physical proof that just doing shoulder presses will create lopsided shoulders.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

So, is it better to isolate each part of the deltoid in different exercises rather than just doing the Arnold Press for the "whole" deltoid? <-- Provided that I do a little extra rear delt work. I'm also doing incline presses that same day, so do you think that covers for the front delts?
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 10-07-2004 at 07:07 PM.
    Lifting Journal

I like guns.
    Are you doing them standing up? That's how I do'em...when I do'em that is. I only do them when I'm cutting - see I change up!

Yes, I stand up.
    Lifting Journal

I'm hoping deads and shrugs will give my rear delts a decent workout, dumb thought?

Quote Originally Posted by Madd Hatter
    I'm hoping deads and shrugs will give my rear delts a decent workout, dumb thought?
    Hit up some chins and BB/T-bar rows and you'll be fine.

its better to stand cuz you dont use as much chest as you do when sitting.