Thread: A few questions about dips.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar

A few questions about dips.

After I finish a set of dips (leaning forward and bending knees, as to work chest and tri) my sternum feels like lots of pressure has been loaded on it or compacted or something weird. It isn't much, but I was just wondering if this was a sign of something bad. It only feels a little pressurized, and after like 30 seconds it'll go away. Do any of you other guys have this same problem? And is it a bad thing?

Just as a side comment, I'm not doing weighted dips. It's just strictly my body weight and my body weight only (I'm not strong enough to do weighted dips anyway).

Also, while I'm making this thread anyway, I've noticed something else about dips. After I finish my biggest set of dips (8 or 9) and jump down from the dip thingy, my heart seems to be pumping fast. Feels like a decent cardio workout lol. Is this abnormal?
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 10-07-2004 at 07:47 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

hammin'
    I had the same problem... it seemed to be worst when I was done with my reps, and supporting my weight as I put my feet down. I didn't think much of it, and eventually, I think it caused me to strain my serratus. Personally, I'd cut the dips until you gain more strength... It's been 4 months and I still can't do chest dips. I recently worked in triceps dips, but dips are definitely an 'advanced' body weight exercise. Don't push yourself until you're ready.
    They say that when your ships comes in
    The first man takes the sails
    Second takes the afterdeck
    The third: the planks and rails.

So, you're saying this sternum-pressure I'm feeling will eventually decrease as I get stronger?

I think you're right, because last year when I tried doing dips, it hurt my sternum SO bad. I mean, like so bad that I couldn't even finish one single dip (one rep). But now, I can actually do the dips but I only feel some slight pressure on the sternum after I'm done, not while I'm doing it.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 10-07-2004 at 08:18 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

yeah i swear my sternum is fractured or something, cuz dips will take me out of commision for a while. after i gained some strength i tried them again this summer, and my sternum was hurting for two weeks afterwards. needless to say i don't do them anymore.

just be careful. if it just feels pressurized then i think you're ok. if it starts hurting, cease and desist.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotosuds
    yeah i swear my sternum is fractured or something, cuz dips will take me out of commision for a while. after i gained some strength i tried them again this summer, and my sternum was hurting for two weeks afterwards. needless to say i don't do them anymore.

just be careful. if it just feels pressurized then i think you're ok. if it starts hurting, cease and desist.
    Yeah, the only time it hurt me was last year when I was weaker I guess. Now, I'm guessing because I'm stronger, it doesn't hurt anymore. I just feel some slight pressure after a long set, which will quickly go away. It doesn't bother me at all; I just don't wanna be doing any long-term damage to my sternum or anything.
    Lifting Journal