The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Down with the Sickness
    Forget measurements constructive citisism here it is:

Chest is lagging and you need to drop bf% lower and do a depletion, poses could use some work. The biggest thing i noticed is that your bf% is high for being 6 weeks out i think if you dropped a couple % you would look alot better and stage rdy. Considering the long road you had you look fabulous, glad to see everything is working out for you.
    Last edited by sublime99; 10-13-2004 at 03:05 PM.

It could be lower, but if he's 6 or 7% now, with 6 weeks left and still has to deplete he'll probably be fine. Once the water goes all the cuts and striations will show better. Add to that more time to learn posing and there could be a really big difference. Oh and let's not forget dream tan, or whatever that gunk is they need to start slathering on a week or so out.

Did you ever try and get a posing coach? Or get as many tips from your last comp as you could to help with that?
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

um let's see...i'm 3 1/2 weeks out now at 6% even. that's just about where i want to be if i drop 1%/week. my first show (mountaineer) was a practice show b/c it was my first, and i came in at about 7%. i was amazed at how quickly i began to look better as i dried out. i'm still holding a lot of water in a few regions that i just can't seem to get rid of. sublime...when you say depletion...depletion of what? carbs? and no. i haven't gotten a posing coach yet, but i'm hoping to get a guy at the gym to help me. if you thought those poses were bad, you should have seen me at the mountaineer. i'll cry myself to sleep over shame of how bad those poses were.

oh, and the high bodyfat. keep in mind i was 275 just 4 months ago. here's a "before" picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pentacent500; 10-13-2004 at 03:38 PM.
    bodybuilding is not a hobby for me. it's about a doctor saying i'll never walk again, and proving him wrong by conquering the physical world. it's more than a stress reliever; it is an answer to my critics who say i can't do it. it's more than a tool of physique; it's a tool of worship. it's more than a sport; it is who i am.

Inspiration Starts Here

Wow! You have definitely transformed yourself very nicely!

Very impressive stuff! I assume you will not let yourself get to that position again?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

That's a diesel drop in 4 months, did you lose alot of muscle? Hit up a super strict UD2 and that'll cut 1-1.5% a week, with VERY minimal muscle loss. Then do youre depletion as well (pre-comp) and when you come in for the competition you should be looking VERY good. If you're about 6-7% now then in 3 1/2 weeks you should be between the 3-4% range all dried up and prune looking.. lmao.. j/k Good luck bro!

That's crazy for only 4 months time.

70-75 pounds in 4 months... not bad at all. That would come out to be about 4.3 pounds per week. Nice job.
    Southern Pride !

damn bro, youve come along a lot. Congrats
    Beer helped slow down my metabolism.... -ozzyman

Chris: you really seem like a class act on these boards. that's a compliment from a forum rookie. but no, i don't intend to get that bad again. my thinking all along (from the day i got back into the gym--4 weeks after getting released from the hospital) was to put on as much weight as possible. i hated being 200 lbs and being so grossly skinny. and even at 200 lbs i had a waist of like 36 (if i remember right). so i spent all last fall eating everything in site just to get weight--any kind of weight. the idea was to spend the first half of spring semester cutting fat and the second half maintaining weight while cutting fat, then cutting in the summer. i didn't intend to do shows so soon, but even in the hospital i had resolved to both do bodybuilding and football. i didn't think i would ever bench 500 again (still not sure if i will), but i just wanted some freakin weight on my bones. it's funny, b/c i've made a lot of new friends that i didn't know before i got sick. i would talk about bodybuilding and whatnot and they would just humor me b/c they just knew me as that fat guy.

on my journal today i basically did the math. i want to compete 20 lbs heavier at the end of next year than i do this year. i know that's huge...but what that means is in the offseason i want to weigh about 235 at 10% BF. big goals, i'm aware. but you gotta know me. in the hospital they considered it a big goal to even walk again.
    bodybuilding is not a hobby for me. it's about a doctor saying i'll never walk again, and proving him wrong by conquering the physical world. it's more than a stress reliever; it is an answer to my critics who say i can't do it. it's more than a tool of physique; it's a tool of worship. it's more than a sport; it is who i am.

Inspiration Starts Here

sorry. didn't mean to leave some of you out.

Little Jake: what is a UD2? remember...this is my first training season. that's one reason i'm doing 3 shows in 8 weeks. i want to get the precontest part down and learn as much as i can through experience. and the experience i've got so far, lol, is 1) i've already lost 10-15 lbs of muscle in that 12 weeks, and 2) show tan sucks.

big J: it was definately a lot of weight...a lot more than i thought i would drop, too. but from 10-9 weeks out i spent a week in the hospital with something called "cellulitis" (a precursor to the same staph infection i had before). i think i dropped 11 lbs that week alone. stayed as close to the diet as i could. heh...figured out how to special order chicken breasts and oatmeal from the cafeteria.

ironically went back to ohio soon after i got out of the hospital, got off the diet and training for 4 days, ate cinnabon and chipotle, and lost like 7 more that week. go figure. probably b/c my carbs were way too low and my cardio was way too intense and long that my metabolism needed a kickstart. i guess that hospital stay was God's way of saying "you idiot. eat something".

Inspiration Starts Here

I agree w/ Chase.

You look good in those pics, but those measurements seem a little high.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

old news, folks. even saying i'm 5'10" seems high based on the pictures. try to keep up with the latest stuff on here.

Inspiration Starts Here

Quote Originally Posted by pentacent500
    Little Jake: what is a UD2? remember...this is my first training season. that's one reason i'm doing 3 shows in 8 weeks. i want to get the precontest part down and learn as much as i can through experience. and the experience i've got so far, lol, is 1) i've already lost 10-15 lbs of muscle in that 12 weeks, and 2) show tan sucks.
    UD2 is a basically carb cycling but a more 'revved' up version. Low carbs mon-thursday with full body workouts each workout. mon-tues 6 sets 15 per bodypart each day each bodypart. Thursday is a tension workout with 6 sets 6-12 per bodypart. Carb load on friday with 7-8xLBM in carbs, then Saturday is Power workout 2 sets 3-6 per bodypart and moderate carbs. That will keep most muscle if not add muscle while dieting. Depending on your goals you can play with the diet and change the way the carbs are cycled when it comes to how much carbs and such. You can bulk with gaining very little if any fat and you can lose fat while gaining muscle or you can target it towards the most fat loss with zero muscle gain. From my experience it's great. I dropped 16lbs in 6 weeks with no muscle loss. I started the diet benching 390 or so and last week I hit 405 again. This would have been the 8th week I've been on the diet but I just get bored with things too easily and took a couple weeks off the diet to arrange my new diet which I'm starting tomorrow. If you need more details PM me on AIM, I've talked to you on there before so just message me again. If you've already deleted me my nick is "xtra0t". I'll talk to ya later man. Take it easy.

bench, deadlift & eat!!!!! Mic Soloist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BCC
    While you look good, there's no reason for you to be bull****ting with those measurements.

At 5'10 and 200 pounds you do not have nearly 20 inch arms. You do not have 28 inch legs. Infact I almost have a hard time believing you have a 31 inch waist.

Sorry but I agree. I was also looking at the waist to chest difference. There is NO WAY his chest is 48 inches if his waist is 31.

the bodybuilders in the mags have 20 inch arms(sometimes)

Until I see some pics with tape around you I refuse to believe it

sorry if i'm a hater...

old news, folks. even saying i'm 5'10" seems high based on the pictures. try to keep up with the latest stuff on here.

Inspiration Starts Here

i didn't know that was called UDT. i'm going low carb (75-90) on Mon-Thurs and higher carb (250-300) on Fri-Sun. those are lower figures than most people say i should get for my weight, but what can i say? i'm paranoid. i've been doing it for 2 weeks now and even though i don't drop much in poundage, the mirror looks better everyday. lost 2%BF in the first 9 or so days, but only lost 1 lb. somewhere in there that means i either gained a lb of water or a lb of muscle. ultra light cardio seems like a bizarre concept to me. but walking for 30 or 45 minutes seems to do just as much fat burning and tons less muscle burning. i'm just wary, though. i'm 200 even as of this morning at 6%. ordinarily that doesn't sound bad, but in 5 weeks i want to be 189 so i can make light-heavyweight. factor in maybe 5 lbs for water and maybe a pound of muscle, i still have 5 lbs of fat to lose to get to 189. i don't know if that is a lot or not. factor in also that i have another show 2 weeks before that (which i'm not worried about weight but purely appearance). man, i still plan on pigging out after the show and maybe even the next day. would still have 12 days for the next show.
    Last edited by pentacent500; 10-14-2004 at 06:52 AM.

Inspiration Starts Here

i didn't know that was called UDT. i'm going low carb (75-90) on Mon-Thurs and higher carb (250-300) on Fri-Sun. those are lower figures than most people say i should get for my weight, but what can i say? i'm paranoid. i've been doing it for 2 weeks now and even though i don't drop much in poundage, the mirror looks better everyday. lost 2%BF in the first 9 or so days, but only lost 1 lb. somewhere in there that means i either gained a lb of water or a lb of muscle. ultra light cardio seems like a bizarre concept to me. but walking for 30 or 45 minutes seems to do just as much fat burning and tons less muscle burning. i'm just wary, though. i'm 200 even as of this morning at 6%. ordinarily that doesn't sound bad, but in 5 weeks i want to be 189 so i can make light-heavyweight. factor in maybe 5 lbs for water and maybe a pound of muscle, i still have 5 lbs of fat to lose to get to 189. i don't know if that is a lot or not. factor in also that i have another show 2 weeks before that (which i'm not worried about weight but purely appearance). man, i still plan on pigging out after the show and maybe even the next day. would still have 12 days for the next show.
    It's called UD2 and what you're doing compared to the UD2 will hinder your results. I used to be paranoid about the carbs too until I got super strict on the UD2 and I started losing 2-3lbs a week while my strength gained. For more details head over to www.bodyrecomposition.com.

/plug

so, what, i should get more carbs? is that what you're saying?

Inspiration Starts Here

I am saving some pennies to try and get a copy of the UD2 book to try out. I have heard some great things about it.
    Tuef = "I need to get my ego stroked more often."

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyTX
    I am saving some pennies to try and get a copy of the UD2 book to try out. I have heard some great things about it.
    same here.
    its basically a leptin sparing routine.
    I wonder how if it would be even better coupled with a leptin boostin supplement

whoa. now i really am going to sound like a rookie. leptin sparing? sounds like something i should already know. gonna have to do some research on this...sounds like a good book, though. talk to me about this leptin sparing thing.

Inspiration Starts Here

leptin is related to fat loss and is said to be partially (mostly) responsible for why we stop losing weight after 7-10 weeks of cutting.
    Carb cycling and slow desents prevent leptin from crashing.
    There is a ton of information on this
    start here: http://www.avantlabs.com/page.php?pageID=51&issueID=3
    avant has a series of about 10 articles that get progressively more involved in the issue. just search avant for them

Wannabebig Member
    Huge man; your legs look like tree trunks. Good luck at your comp.
    Last edited by X-force24; 10-15-2004 at 12:55 PM.

aight geoff. well i'm 3 weeks out right now, which means that for the next 2 weeks, based on this info, i'll carb cycle with more than i was intending to use...instead of 60-70 it should be more like 80-90 on the low carb, and instead of 200 more like 300 on the high carb. still need to research this thing called leptin some more.

Inspiration Starts Here

aight geoff. well i'm 3 weeks out right now, which means that for the next 2 weeks, based on this info, i'll carb cycle with more than i was intending to use...instead of 60-70 it should be more like 80-90 on the low carb, and instead of 200 more like 300 on the high carb. still need to research this thing called leptin some more.
    Check out www.mindandmuscle.net and look for the carb cycling articles. I haven't tried it yet because I'm trying the PSMF diet from over at bodyrecomposition.com first and then I'll probably try this sometime next year. I like to try all kinds of different diets so that I know more of what I am talking about when I tell people to get on certain diets. (I train friends on the side) I've read all the articles and it looks quite interesting. I would suggest trying it for a precomp on your next show (not this one coming up). And as far as how you're carb cycling, it's hard to determine how many carbs you should be taking in for your low and high days when you dont state how many days low and how many days high you do. If you were doing 3 days low - 2 days high then it looks like that may work well. Or possibly a little longer, you'd have to play with it a little to get it just right for your bodytype. Which is another reason why I try lots of different diets. Good luck man and keep me posted.