The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

4 weeks out from elite/6 weeks out from Mt. Rogers

i'm a rookie here, and figured it's time i dove in and introduced myself. why not start by posting a few pictures. i've been on www.beyondmass.com messing around, but this is such a bigger forum with more people...why not get some more experienced advice. i just did a show 2 weeks ago (mountaineer)...my first one...and i have one in 4 weeks (elite muscle classic) and one in 6 weeks (mt rogers--NGA show). instead of posting contest pics, i wanted to post my weekly pics from yesterday and see what you guys think i should do about diet and cardio.

now...let me figure out how to put a picture in here.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pentacent500; 10-13-2004 at 11:44 AM.
    bodybuilding is not a hobby for me. it's about a doctor saying i'll never walk again, and proving him wrong by conquering the physical world. it's more than a stress reliever; it is an answer to my critics who say i can't do it. it's more than a tool of physique; it's a tool of worship. it's more than a sport; it is who i am.

Inspiration Starts Here

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Doing great there, I leave the small amount of critic to Chris.

Chris wants a better front double bi picture. so i'm posting it here. i only have two from that day. oh, and Chris...i was talking about something else in the PM. for some reason i thought i posted contest photos and not photos from yesterday. so in that regard, any diet, posing, or flaw-related advice would be great from anyone. (i'm still a rookie)

PS...you think i can get the belly in shape in the 25 days remaining?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pentacent500; 10-12-2004 at 08:32 PM.
    bodybuilding is not a hobby for me. it's about a doctor saying i'll never walk again, and proving him wrong by conquering the physical world. it's more than a stress reliever; it is an answer to my critics who say i can't do it. it's more than a tool of physique; it's a tool of worship. it's more than a sport; it is who i am.

Inspiration Starts Here

You definitly need to lean up before your next comp. I would suggest doing some sort of a pre-contest depletion to really get you leaned out but I am not the best person to provide you with info on that. I bet ST would have some good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by crussow
    You definitly need to lean up before your next comp. I would suggest doing some sort of a pre-contest depletion to really get you leaned out but I am not the best person to provide you with info on that. I bet ST would have some good advice.

i can only guess you're referring to carb depletion? or water? i'm on a carb cycle right now...roughly 75/day on Mon-Thurs and about 200-250/day on Fri-Sun.

Inspiration Starts Here

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Do you work your lower back?
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

lower back is definately holding water and skin is loose. i work it doing hyperextensions and whatnot. but i think that once i flush out the water for my show that will come in well. i think my back is my best feature.

Inspiration Starts Here

I think you weakest point is your chest. Looks kinda small compared to most other major muscle groups...

Quote Originally Posted by GMCtrk
    I think you weakest point is your chest. Looks kinda small compared to most other major muscle groups...
    you mean in terms of mass or cuts?

it's funny b/c i agree it's a weakpoint...but the funny part is maybe 2 years ago i would have said it was my strongest point. wonder what happened there.

Inspiration Starts Here

Quote Originally Posted by pentacent500
    you mean in terms of mass or cuts?

it's funny b/c i agree it's a weakpoint...but the funny part is maybe 2 years ago i would have said it was my strongest point. wonder what happened there.
    In terms of mass, not sure if that's genetics or just a lack of chest exercise, but the size is definitely lagging behind. Everything else looks good.

definately not lack of exercise. possibly overtraining. maybe this offseason i'll go easier on chest but do it twice a week instead of every 5 or 6 days.

Inspiration Starts Here

bench, deadlift & eat!!!!! Mic Soloist's Avatar
    I think you're looking thick man.

What are your stats?

Ht?
    Wt?
    Arm size
    Chest size?
    Waist size?
    Quad size?
    Ect?
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

Waist: 38 Shoulders 56 Chest: 47 Arms (cold): 17.5 Forearms: 13.5 Quads: 26.5 Calves: 16.5 Neck: 17.5

PR's

BB Bench: 315 @ 215
    Squats: 410 @ 205 (last winter)
    Deads 515 @ 214
    Total: 1240

My Journal:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...&page=16&pp=25

My AIM: MSOLOIST

Intensity: Lunch comes up! And breakfast! MET- Rx! Egg whites! Hot Stuff! Designer Whey! Yohimbe! Coenzyme Q! L-Carnatine. MTCs. OKG. All immersed in a mixture of stomach acids that peels the ivory off your teeth.

Banned
    Overall you look pretty decent, I think.. great basic shape and decent symmetry

a bit hard to see in some of those pics but your legs look a little overshadowed by upper body.. actually you seem to have a larger man's arms which may account for the comments about the chest looking weak.

hams & glutes look kinda soft as well as the low back and I can't really see the calves clearly but are they lagging?

Overall it seems like dialing in the diet and coming in nice and dry for the show will sort out most of what I mention here.

callahan: interesting. i've always thought i've had big legs. some have said that they overshadow my upper body. and there is definately some softness in those areas. a lot of that is water that i'm holding...in the process of flushing it out. the rest should come by showtime, i hope. keep in mind that this is done with the worst possible lighting to show muscularity, and i'm about as white as i can get (even though i tan a lot--go figure).

anybody have any ideas on dropping the water? i'm getting 2 gallons/day now. gonna go to 3 gallons/day for the wed/thurs/fri before the show, but cut water at, say, noon (so it's ok not to get 3 gallons that day). diuretics = taraxatone, dandelion root, and uva ursi. i'll get probably 20 oz of water around 6 friday night so that the carbs get saturated and allow me to bulk more. also intend to use some wheat thins to suck some of the water out. cutting sodium on wed, and am toying with the idea of sitting in a sauna for 20 min on mon/tues/wed.

any other ideas?

Inspiration Starts Here

Banned
    could just be the angle of the photographs making the legs look smaller... those are definitely not flattering pix

I don't know that I'd bother with saunas

controlling your carbs and sodium are usually the way to go to dry up, no?

as far as diuretics, why no EC stack action? or did you not stockpile some ephedrine before all that stupid FDA nonsense?

Quote Originally Posted by Callahan

as far as diuretics, why no EC stack action? or did you not stockpile some ephedrine before all that stupid FDA nonsense?
    no ephedrine for me. i use hot rox for a thermogenic...works much better than any ephedrine product ever did.

Inspiration Starts Here

your arms are definetly your strongest point. 19 3/4, that is VERY big. Id say you look pretty great. Maybe bring up your lagging chest and legs and youll be extremely impressive.
    Beer helped slow down my metabolism.... -ozzyman

wow. if everyone thinks the chest is lagging it must be lagging more than i thought. glad i posted here. once offseason hits i'll have a strategy in place to bring that back up. i thought about it...and my strength used to be my chest (back when i did everything once a week). i switched to doing everything BUT chest and legs twice/week and suddenly what was my strength is now my weakness. it could either be that, or the fact that my chest was my strength BEFORE i had open heart surgery. makes me wonder if the that had anything to do with it.

Inspiration Starts Here

Another suggestion for you would be that you need to work on your posing =). I know that these are just some basic shots to post your physique but you have to nail you poses in the contest. I agree that in the pictures it does not look like you have a 19 3/4 inch arm but I have no reason to not believe your measurments. Its hard to tell in pictures though.

Quote Originally Posted by crussow
    Another suggestion for you would be that you need to work on your posing =). I know that these are just some basic shots to post your physique but you have to nail you poses in the contest. I agree that in the pictures it does not look like you have a 19 3/4 inch arm but I have no reason to not believe your measurments. Its hard to tell in pictures though.
    man, you're more right than you know. my posing at my last show was terrible...terrible. i think it cost me the show b/c i hid way too much. i'm working on it, but need pointers. after all, i'm still a rookie.

Inspiration Starts Here

ya to be honest its hard to believe theyre 19 3/4. Im not saying there not, they just dont appear to be that big. I have no reason to believe youd lie tho. If you wanna prove everyone wrong you could take a pic with them measured.
    Beer helped slow down my metabolism.... -ozzyman

While you look good, there's no reason for you to be bull****ting with those measurements.

At 5'10 and 200 pounds you do not have nearly 20 inch arms. You do not have 28 inch legs. Infact I almost have a hard time believing you have a 31 inch waist.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

lol. i find your skepticism flattering. you guys are funny.
    Last edited by pentacent500; 10-13-2004 at 11:40 AM.

Inspiration Starts Here

The criticism is in regards to how you hit your front double bicep. You need to draw your back out a bit more. Try arching your back and sticking out your chest while simultaneously drawing our your lats. You might also lower your upper arms a bit so they are more parallel with the ground.

Give this a go and post another shot if you can.

The measurement issue might be a misunderstanding. Are you measuring pumped?

The reason people are doubting you is that your weight and height do not add up to those measurements if they are cold (not pumped). For example, Mike Mentzer's upper arm was measured at 18 5/8" in shape and unpumped. Mike was similar in height to you and weighed in the 220-230 lb range with that measurement and his arms were absolutely huge.

One more example I can give is Joe Roark (the IFBB historian) just measured an off-season Lee Priest's arms at just over 21" cold. He had zero pump. He claimed to be about 5'5" and 235 lbs at the time of the measurement (the GNC SOS just last weekend). Joe is an absolute nut about accuracy so you know that is a 100% accurate measurement. I am sure you will admit your arms are not as big as Lee's. Therefore, I think you are either measuring incorrectly or are measuring incorrectly and pumping the arms during the measurement. To measure correctly you need to measure around the largest part of the biceps with the tape at a right angle to the bone of the upper arm.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Here it is in Joe's own words:

"Yesterday (Oct 9, 2004, Saturday) at 9:31am I chatted with Lee Priest at the GNC Show of Strength Expo Hall, and asked if I could measure his wrist, his forearm in two positions, and his flexed upper arm.

He said he weighed about 235 as we spoke and that he was about 5'5" tall.

Keep in mind he was cold, had not worked out that morning.

His wrist measured 7-3/8".

His forearm- with the entire arm straight- including the hand straight from the wrist, but with his fist clenched, but not goosenecked, measured 15-3/4" and is the most incredible forearm I have ever seen in person. So he has the magical ratio of his forearm being twice as large as his wrist PLUS ONE INCH! Manfred Hoerbel did not have the 2:1 ratio!

Then he goosenecked his hand, and put his forearm at a right angle to his upper arm, and in that position his forearm measured 17".

His upper arm was simply unbelieveable, and it is my personal opinion that from wrist to shoulder he has the best all-round development in the history of bodybuilding- I will not argue- that's just my opinion. His upper arm measured an unbelieveable 21-1/4".

He mentioned that when pumped, he can add an inch, which is of course likely. So pumped, his arm would be over 22" which would be triple his wrist size!

He allows people to believe what they wish in regard to his arm size, and he related this story. He was at a department store counter when the female clerk commented that he had large arms, but that her relative had arms 'about twice as big as yours'. Lee just smiled and said he must be a big guy!

Another time someone said to him, "What do your arms measure, I will guess 23""

"You got it", replied Lee, and smiled and walked away.

Thus misinformation is born."

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!