The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Another suggestion for you would be that you need to work on your posing =). I know that these are just some basic shots to post your physique but you have to nail you poses in the contest. I agree that in the pictures it does not look like you have a 19 3/4 inch arm but I have no reason to not believe your measurments. Its hard to tell in pictures though.

Quote Originally Posted by crussow
    Another suggestion for you would be that you need to work on your posing =). I know that these are just some basic shots to post your physique but you have to nail you poses in the contest. I agree that in the pictures it does not look like you have a 19 3/4 inch arm but I have no reason to not believe your measurments. Its hard to tell in pictures though.
    man, you're more right than you know. my posing at my last show was terrible...terrible. i think it cost me the show b/c i hid way too much. i'm working on it, but need pointers. after all, i'm still a rookie.
    bodybuilding is not a hobby for me. it's about a doctor saying i'll never walk again, and proving him wrong by conquering the physical world. it's more than a stress reliever; it is an answer to my critics who say i can't do it. it's more than a tool of physique; it's a tool of worship. it's more than a sport; it is who i am.

Inspiration Starts Here

ya to be honest its hard to believe theyre 19 3/4. Im not saying there not, they just dont appear to be that big. I have no reason to believe youd lie tho. If you wanna prove everyone wrong you could take a pic with them measured.
    Beer helped slow down my metabolism.... -ozzyman

While you look good, there's no reason for you to be bull****ting with those measurements.

At 5'10 and 200 pounds you do not have nearly 20 inch arms. You do not have 28 inch legs. Infact I almost have a hard time believing you have a 31 inch waist.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

lol. i find your skepticism flattering. you guys are funny.
    Last edited by pentacent500; 10-13-2004 at 11:40 AM.
    bodybuilding is not a hobby for me. it's about a doctor saying i'll never walk again, and proving him wrong by conquering the physical world. it's more than a stress reliever; it is an answer to my critics who say i can't do it. it's more than a tool of physique; it's a tool of worship. it's more than a sport; it is who i am.

Inspiration Starts Here

hey man no one will be skeptical if you post a measuring pic, im trying to help you out.

I find it funny that you gave pro-bodybuilder stats.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

The criticism is in regards to how you hit your front double bicep. You need to draw your back out a bit more. Try arching your back and sticking out your chest while simultaneously drawing our your lats. You might also lower your upper arms a bit so they are more parallel with the ground.

Give this a go and post another shot if you can.

The measurement issue might be a misunderstanding. Are you measuring pumped?

The reason people are doubting you is that your weight and height do not add up to those measurements if they are cold (not pumped). For example, Mike Mentzer's upper arm was measured at 18 5/8" in shape and unpumped. Mike was similar in height to you and weighed in the 220-230 lb range with that measurement and his arms were absolutely huge.

One more example I can give is Joe Roark (the IFBB historian) just measured an off-season Lee Priest's arms at just over 21" cold. He had zero pump. He claimed to be about 5'5" and 235 lbs at the time of the measurement (the GNC SOS just last weekend). Joe is an absolute nut about accuracy so you know that is a 100% accurate measurement. I am sure you will admit your arms are not as big as Lee's. Therefore, I think you are either measuring incorrectly or are measuring incorrectly and pumping the arms during the measurement. To measure correctly you need to measure around the largest part of the biceps with the tape at a right angle to the bone of the upper arm.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Here it is in Joe's own words:

"Yesterday (Oct 9, 2004, Saturday) at 9:31am I chatted with Lee Priest at the GNC Show of Strength Expo Hall, and asked if I could measure his wrist, his forearm in two positions, and his flexed upper arm.

He said he weighed about 235 as we spoke and that he was about 5'5" tall.

Keep in mind he was cold, had not worked out that morning.

His wrist measured 7-3/8".

His forearm- with the entire arm straight- including the hand straight from the wrist, but with his fist clenched, but not goosenecked, measured 15-3/4" and is the most incredible forearm I have ever seen in person. So he has the magical ratio of his forearm being twice as large as his wrist PLUS ONE INCH! Manfred Hoerbel did not have the 2:1 ratio!

Then he goosenecked his hand, and put his forearm at a right angle to his upper arm, and in that position his forearm measured 17".

His upper arm was simply unbelieveable, and it is my personal opinion that from wrist to shoulder he has the best all-round development in the history of bodybuilding- I will not argue- that's just my opinion. His upper arm measured an unbelieveable 21-1/4".

He mentioned that when pumped, he can add an inch, which is of course likely. So pumped, his arm would be over 22" which would be triple his wrist size!

He allows people to believe what they wish in regard to his arm size, and he related this story. He was at a department store counter when the female clerk commented that he had large arms, but that her relative had arms 'about twice as big as yours'. Lee just smiled and said he must be a big guy!

Another time someone said to him, "What do your arms measure, I will guess 23""

"You got it", replied Lee, and smiled and walked away.

Thus misinformation is born."

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

lol, lotsa people talk **** about him, but lee seems like a cool guy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by BCC
    I find it funny that you gave pro-bodybuilder stats.
    holy smokes...have you ever seen a pro BBer in person? i'm nowhere near that. lee priest looks like he has giant tumors off those short stubby arms. my measurements are not that great, folks. you'll also see why serious bodybuilders don't do measurements, nor rely on them. you guys sound like a bunch of little girls whining about measurements when you know that a bodybuilding stage is not based on inches. biceps last week measured just under 19 cold. 19 3/4 pumped. chest, legs, and everything else was measured relatively cold b/c it was measured after a biceps-only workout. no cardio, no warmups, nothing. weight was morning weight, pre-meal. if you want pro bodybuilder stats...add about 50 or 60 lbs, 4 inches to the thighs, 3-4" to the arms, and 8" to the chest. lol...you guys must really be tiny for these to look like big measurements to you.

Inspiration Starts Here

LOL. Well i was trying tobe a nice guy. Number one both people that posted skepticism, chase and chris mason, are much larger than you. Number 2, we never said they "looked" like big measurements. WE said your numbers looked "too big" for your body.

You look great. The only bad thing that stands out to me is your chest and leg development. They seem small compared to your traps and especially arms.
    Last edited by Beast; 10-13-2004 at 12:21 PM.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Quote Originally Posted by pentacent500
    holy smokes...have you ever seen a pro BBer in person? i'm nowhere near that. lee priest looks like he has giant tumors off those short stubby arms. my measurements are not that great, folks. you'll also see why serious bodybuilders don't do measurements, nor rely on them. you guys sound like a bunch of little girls whining about measurements when you know that a bodybuilding stage is not based on inches. biceps last week measured just under 19 cold. 19 3/4 pumped. chest, legs, and everything else was measured relatively cold b/c it was measured after a biceps-only workout. no cardio, no warmups, nothing. weight was morning weight, pre-meal. if you want pro bodybuilder stats...add about 50 or 60 lbs, 4 inches to the thighs, 3-4" to the arms, and 8" to the chest. lol...you guys must really be tiny for these to look like big measurements to you.

Look, don't be so defensive. You did read what Lee Priest's arm measure in the off-season, correct? You said yourself that you are not as big as a professional bodybuilder yet you said your arms were 21" in the off-season.

Like I said, I just think you there is something wrong with how you are taking the measurement.

In any event, your arms are definitely one of your better bodyparts.

Can you retake the double bicep pic and post it here?

Quote Originally Posted by BigNic
    LOL. Well i was trying tobe a nice guy. Number one both people that posted skepticism, chase and chris mason, are much larger than you. Number 2, we never said they "looked" like big measurements. WE said your numbers looked "too big" for your body.

Well, I appreciate the comment but I am not really larger than him. He is leaner than me and weighs not much less than I do at an inch shorter in height. Chase is definitely much bigger.

Looks pretty damn good.

I have to say that I agree with the chest being a little behind. Calves and lower back could use a little more work also based on the pics. How big around are the calves?
    Tuef = "I need to get my ego stroked more often."

Heck, I can take care of this misunderstanding very easily. Pent, just stop by Brown Honda Dodge tomorrow (he lives pretty close to Charlottesville) and I can measure your arm and stop any and all skepticism. I will be there pretty much all day. Just let me know when you want to stop by.

Otherwise, let's all just forget the measurement thing and move on.

rather than worry so much about water depletion I think you should concentrate on lowering your bodyfat a ways...you look like your around 10-14%?

usually when putting up stats it helps to have pics of the measurements.

Lol, I think he should take a look at some of BCC's pics and competition work before he prejudges him much more.

Everyone measures a little differently though, some snap the tape so that it's really tight, others loose, others REALLY loose, then there is pump no pump, angle of the tape, area of the measure, yadda yadda. So very difficult to compare apples to apples.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

just had my BF done by the exercise physiology guy at lynchburg college (and former Mr FLorida). 8%. that was 2 weeks ago. closer to 6 now.

chris: can't tomorrow. maybe next week if it's that important. gotta find out when Jill is going home (it's over an hour away).

but ya know...i'm not going to answer about the measurements anymore. someone's gotta be the bigger man. might post a picture of the actual measurement. but no more comments. and, b/c this was about a bodybuilding show, who cares about them now anyway? i'm not going to get onstage and have the judges measure each bodypart to crown a winner. you are all diverting me from my original purpose. now i see why the vets on the other boards told me not to come over to the novice forums (WBB, bb.com, etc). seriously. if you don't have anything intelligent to say, don't bring the intelligence of the whole thread down with you.

Inspiration Starts Here

It isn't that important to me. I was offering if you wished to quell the criticism.

This board is very solid and full of people with excellent knowledge on training. It is certainly not a novice forum. That said, there are fewer competitive bodybuilders here than on some other boards. More of the folks here just train for the sake of being bigger, stronger, or just looking better.

In any event, post the new pics if you can.

pent, get over to masons' work asap and prove em wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by pentacent500
    just had my BF done by the exercise physiology guy at lynchburg college (and former Mr FLorida). 8%. that was 2 weeks ago. closer to 6 now.

chris: can't tomorrow. maybe next week if it's that important. gotta find out when Jill is going home (it's over an hour away).

but ya know...i'm not going to answer about the measurements anymore. someone's gotta be the bigger man. might post a picture of the actual measurement. but no more comments. and, b/c this was about a bodybuilding show, who cares about them now anyway? i'm not going to get onstage and have the judges measure each bodypart to crown a winner. you are all diverting me from my original purpose. now i see why the vets on the other boards told me not to come over to the novice forums (WBB, bb.com, etc). seriously. if you don't have anything intelligent to say, don't bring the intelligence of the whole thread down with you.

Any forum you would post the numbers you did here and not have people atleast question them is a novice forum.

hahn...learned my lesson, didn't i? won't do that again. well...just once. i'll try it on another forum. gotta be scientific about it. see if the whining is for real. i mean, some of the guys were legit. it was just a few ignorant a-holes, probably 12 years old, messing up the whole thing. but yeah...like i said, i've never put much stock in measurements, and neither does anyone who knows what they're doing.

Inspiration Starts Here

You look good. I can see where the doubt is coming from just because you said you have 19 3/4" arms and you only weigh 200 pounds standing 5'10" tall. I was 5'11" 205 pounds w/ just a tad higher body fat than you, and my arms barely taped 17" And that was if I was pumped. Now that I'm closer to 240 I'm a good bit bigger, but my body fat isnt as low either. Either way, I'm not doubting what you said. Looks like you've been lifting for a while. I will give you a handy lil tip though, just look at Chase's avatar. That's actually him.

With that out of the way. You definately need to drop your body fat leveland as other's have touched on, your chest is laggin. My main critique would just be your overall body fat level. You need to drop that a good bit. Looks to me like you have a good bit around your stomach, lower back, and ass areas.

Good luck w/ your competitions.
    Southern Pride !