Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: surprise doc, i'm not dead. comeback tour from staph infection and heart surger

surprise doc, i'm not dead. comeback tour from staph infection and heart surger

well, workout/diet journals seem to be all the rage these days. i've had one on a xanga for the longest time (http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=lionhearted_one) and i will probably continue to update that one for my non-bodybuilder friends to keep up to date. they're a good support group because they're my friends, but most don't know anything about bodybuilding; they just know how to motivate me to keep going.

first a short bio.
    played college baseball and football, finally was set to try out for pro football after a season of minor league ball in summer 2003. got sick and doctors didn't know what was up. long story short, it turned out to be an internal staph infection. doctors said i wouldn't make it through the night. they said that about the first 3 nights i was there, continually amazed i kept surviving. i went from 250 to over 300 lbs in fluid in just a few days, down to 201 by the end of the summer. i had liver, kidney, stomach, intestinal, bowel...you name it...failure and after doctors discovered i would survive, they said i would never walk again. within 3 or 4 days the nurses called me the walking miracle, because i was indeed walking. i actually began to recover in all areas and was released from the hospital. that is the brief version of that...trust me, there are plenty PLENTY of gory details.

less than a week after i got out of the hospital, they discovered that the staph had gotten to the aortic valve of my heart. i had to have one of the most dangerous types of open heart surgery--aortic valve transplant. i had a number of complications and instead of the projected 4 days in the hospital, i was there for 14 (it was several weeks before i could breathe somewhat normal). but alas, i recovered from that, too. doc told me not to lift weights or play football anymore. i was out of the hospital only 4 weeks before i was back in the gym. i couldn't lift much (i couldn't even curl an olympic bar with no weight), but i resolved to get better. none of my joints were in very good working order, but most of them came back in due time (still have shoulder problems). i didn't like being small, so i intentionally bulked up by eating everything in site from august until january. i went from 200 to 275 in short order. my next goal for spring was to maintain that weight but lose bodyfat, of which i did, but was still fat. last summer i started my first precontest diet and cut from 275 in July to 197 for the Mountaineer on Sept 25. i'm also at the same time playing minor league football. as of this writing we are 8-2 and poised to clinch the division this saturday in petersburg, va. i'm also 5 weeks out from the Elite Muscle Classic, which will be my second show. this will begin as a journal of my routines and whatnot leading up to the elite and finally the NGA Mount Rogers in Roanoke 2 weeks later.

i'm also a free thinker, so i'll be throwing in philosophies and whatnot as i go. this is a training journal for me, but feel free to leave all the thoughts in the world.
    bodybuilding is not a hobby for me. it's about a doctor saying i'll never walk again, and proving him wrong by conquering the physical world. it's more than a stress reliever; it is an answer to my critics who say i can't do it. it's more than a tool of physique; it's a tool of worship. it's more than a sport; it is who i am.

Inspiration Starts Here

alright, well while i'm here and before i get started...first some contest pics and some precontest info. here's the diet for 25/39 days out:

200 protein (bodyweight)
    40-50 fat (peanut butter mostly)
    75-85 carbs (monday-thursday)
    200-250 carbs (friday-Sunday)

35-40 minutes of medium-intensity cardio (800 calories/hour)

weight training itself consists mostly of high-intensity, higher weight exercises. i do a lot of dropsets in season and out, and at least once/week i superset bi/tri and i hit everything but chest and legs twice.

below are the contest pics from the mountaineer in Boone, NC from 2 weeks ago. i came in third in the novice heavyweight. the skinny guy in the red trunks got first. i'm a little upset at my placing, but i realize looking at the pics that some of my poses were way off. here they are. let me know what you think. the first one is a "before" picture from january. the second is a "before" picture from june at the start of precontest.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pentacent500; 10-12-2004 at 05:32 PM.
    bodybuilding is not a hobby for me. it's about a doctor saying i'll never walk again, and proving him wrong by conquering the physical world. it's more than a stress reliever; it is an answer to my critics who say i can't do it. it's more than a tool of physique; it's a tool of worship. it's more than a sport; it is who i am.

Inspiration Starts Here

here's a few more.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Inspiration Starts Here

i wrote the rest of this on my other journal (the one i just stopped to get this one going). thought i'd inspire you here, too

bodybuilding. i tell ya man. there is a certain sense of satisfaction when you awake to do your cardio so early in the morning that you need to turn on your headlights and there are no other cars on the road. there's more satisfaction in knowing that you have done a full, exhausting cardio workout, and you need to turn your headlights BACK ON to drive home b/c IT IS STILL DARK. to know you have accomplished more in the first couple of hours in your day before anyone else in your neighborhood or apartment complex is even awake.

there are times when you step on a scale with excitement, but the excitement goes both ways. when bulking, you try to cheat the scale. maybe you weigh at night or after you eat or drink. maybe with a few clothes on, and that is your weight--and you are excited as it goes up.

when you are cutting or precontest, it is the other way. you always weigh yourself first thing in the morning, after bathroom trips, wearing nothing but your fingernails. sometimes you weigh yourself over and over to see if that number keeps dropping. as precontest, you want to come in heavy, but not fat.

bodybuilding is about shrinking your stomach but stretching your bladder. when i'm done with a show and i can eat whatever i want, i usually can't handle much. but while i'm getting ready for the show i run to the bathroom to release fluid every 20 or 30 minutes. precontest i get remarks on how much water i drink a day or why i always have a gallon jug with me.

cutting isn't about getting lean enough that you need new pants. it's about needing a new belt b/c you've run out of belt loops or the end hangs over too long. it's not about wearing pants that wouldn't button before you started; it's about not having to button them b/c you can just slip them on like shorts (and leave them buttoned). it's not about the size of your muscles; it's about the tone and vascularity. you don't ask yourself "does this person think i'm a freak for being so big?"; you ask yourself "does this person think i'm a freak b/c of all the veins snaking down my forearms?" you see your weight and waistline drop, but you feel bigger than ever. at 200 lbs you feel as big as you were at 250 and look even bigger. and there is a certain sense of satisfaction when you have dropped the fat...in my case over 80 lbs worth in a few months...and answered your ciritics. there's satisfaction in having your training partner not see you for 4 months and tell you after the fact that, a few months earlier when you told him you were doing a show, he first thought "no way" b/c you were just too fat. there's satisfaction...and lots of it...in asking around and hearing that over and over and over. no way. you were too fat. no way. you were too fat. no way. you were too fat. sounds a lot to me like "no way, you won't survive the night" or "no way, you'll never walk again" or "no way. you'll be on dialysis as long as you live". don't limit me. there is great satisfaction in blowing those supposed limits away and watching jaws hit the ground as you shock them over and over.*

the only problem with cardio is restraining yourself. you don't want to do too much to slow down your metabolism or start burning muscle as fuel. you don't want to go too high in the intensity b/c once the glycogen is gone, what is next?

in precontest, you are as slender as you've ever been, and yet you feel fat. your waist maybe 32, but b/c of a thin layer of fat or water, you never take your shirt off. but in the offseason you don't realize it and you tend to not cover up as well.

bodybuilding is not about competing against other people. you never know who will be at a show until you get there. bodybuilding isn't about the shows or competitions--winning trophies or titles or "Mr. East of the mississippi but north of the mason dixon" chyampionships. the titles, trophies--any competition--are about showing off what you have already accomplished in the 8,12,16, or 20 weeks prior. bodybuilding is about competing with yourself and getting bigger with more cuts than you were before. bodybuilding is a matter of you versus you. take it or leave it. it's not for the weak.

bodybuilding IS the most difficult sport, hands down. no argument. some sports require rigorous diets or training, but no sport requires this level of diet or training. no sport other than bodybuilding analyzes the subtle nuances of, for instance, the different kinds of protein, fat, carbs, or any micronutrient. no other athlete will argue for or against distilled water versus regular drinking water or chicken versus egg versus red meat. no other sport has the capability of adding textbook PhD-level anatomy in regards to cardiovascularity, weight training, muscle shape, diet, protein synthesis, cellular respiration, glycogen stores, metabolism, glycemic-indices, IGF factors, insulin levels and on and on and on.

but the biggest reason bodybuilding is THE most difficult sport is that there is no coach barking out to you to finish your cardio, training, or diet. there is no one but you. bodybuilders by necessity are the most self-driven people on the planet. it is no wonder that bodybuilders find it easier to find success in other areas of life--because they are such self-starters and self-motivators.

bodybuilding is for me and don't forget it. God gave me a gift and i intend to use it for both carnal satisfaction as well as eternal benefit. it is where i see God, and that is how God designed it. yeah, i'm a Christian. but why can't i be a hardcore Christian AND a hardcore bodybuilder? God gives us these things in life so that we may better see him or enjoy Him. and He gave me this gift...this passion...this pursuit...as a means to worship him (See Romans 12:1-2). bodybuilding is so much more than proving those doctors wrong. it goes so far beyond that. it is to prove that unquestionably, beyond the shadow of a doubt, my life is a miracle, both in regards to being alive when i shouldn't be, but by conquering the physical world.

this is my life. am i who i want to be? you bet.

Inspiration Starts Here

Congratulations on your miraculous recovery and your determination is truely admirable. You've really been through a tough situation.

I am curious, are you on any immunosuppresants for your transplanted valve and if so do they interfere at all with your training and diet?

I've seen your pictures and you look great!
    Last edited by rpffly; 10-12-2004 at 05:54 PM.
    Won't you pour me a Cuban Breeze Gretchen......

Great story. Good luck on all of your future goals!

Oh and here is some
    Three people can keep a secret so long as two of them are dead

- Benjamin Franklin

rpffly: i got a human valve, so i don't take any prescription meds at all. literally 100% recovery. i do take aspirin every morning, but everyone should do that anyway. so no. nothing at all.

herc: thanks a lot buddy. and that SPAM may actually taste good when precontest is over on Nov 20. i think i might stick with pizza and taco bell, though. :evillaugh
    Last edited by pentacent500; 10-12-2004 at 05:55 PM.

Inspiration Starts Here

I'm in awe of your dedication and will. Most impressive, both your story, and your physique (you'd look excellent even for somebody who's had NO obstacles to overcome!)

I'm looking forward to reading this journal.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Belial: thanks a lot. it has been a long run, but really felt natural to get back in the gym. when the doc said i would never workout again, i just thought "yeah right". after i did it without his consent, then came back and saw him later, he ok'd it. but this precontest stuff...the whole comeback...nothing compared to the time in the hospital...learning how to walk again, learning how to breathe again. learning how to wipe my own butt again. those were the tough times...made easier by years of bodybuilding and football (and other sports), but tough nonetheless.

you go to duke? i have a buddy there that wrestles. he's a sophomore. name is Christian Smith. he won the ACC last year.

Inspiration Starts Here

today's nutrients didn't go quite as planned. i'm low on carbs and protein, and i'm getting too much protein too late in the day. for breakfast...finished off 2 servings of egg beaters, 1/2 cup oatmeal (with 3 tbsp Peanut butter). little while later had 6 oz chicken breast and 1 tbsp PB, then the UPS guy showed up with my new supplements, so i was dying to try out the protein. i got way too much protein by liquid form today. one day's mistake...won't happen tomorrow.

totaled out at 193 protein (just a hair low), 51 carbs (way too low today), and 51 fat (right on target). that totals about 1371 calories...way too low. way too freakin low, but it was too late to catch the problem with carbs. i'd rather go low on the carbs and overall calories than get late night carbs to convert to fat.

the problem happened when i missed my doctor's appointment and got called in to work (substitute teach). i didn't get any food between 9am and 2pm, which means i missed one meal. stupid, stupid. i also worked out late tonight.

worked triceps, then back. shouldn't have done back just one day after biceps. i made it through, though. back was a light workout today, though. i'll slam it on saturday.

tomorrow is wednesday--legs. i might take the day off b/c my legs are still ridiculously sore. i haven't had a workout day off in a while, but i know i have to miss thursday or friday anyway. tomorrow might just be a cardio/ab day alone.

oh yeah, and gotta remember to stick with the tanning everyday. i'm still whitey.

Inspiration Starts Here

I wannabebig!
    good luck with the goals, you're one big guy

dropped 4 lbs overnight. waist size was smaller than at the show and i weighed 4 lbs heavier, at about 31 1/4". i figure by the time i cut out water and the remaining fat i'll be around 30 1/2 or 30 1/4".

regarding the offseason, i'm thinking 2 things at once. 1) i can't wait until i can eat whatever without worrying about every little thing. but 2) i want to gain a lot of mass without getting nearly as fat as before. i like having a six pack, and i like having my clothes fit. i'm trying to think up a diet, somewhat passively at the moment, that will take advantage of the anabolic burst in the 8 weeks to follow the contest season. my goal all along has been to weigh 20 lbs heavier at a show at the end of next year. that would put me at 210 for a contest weight next year if i come in at 189. and the following year i want to be big enough to be a natural (no juice) superheavyweight at 225.

within those first 8 weeks...until Jan 15 or so...i will probably gain 10 lbs of muscle thanks to the anabolic burst. 10 lbs of muscle, 5 lbs of fat, and 10 lbs of water. by mid-january i hope to be 215 at around 8% BF. i'm 201 at 6% right now. by summer '05 i would shoot for something more like 235 at 10% and topping out at 10% for the offseason. that's my goal anyway. assuming i drop only 2 lbs of muscle and 5 lbs of fluid, i would come in at 214. the math works. i wouldn't mind terribly going to 240 at 12%.

but...it's also too early to be thinking offseason. i just know that now i have a good offseason weight in mind. not ballooning to 275 this time. gonna stick around 235 and keep the BF down (mostly for the lady).

Inspiration Starts Here

Just thought I'd drop in on your journal. You're an inspiration dude! Damn man you seem to have the dieting down!

i hope the diet is ok. i'm just over 3 and 5 weeks out from 2 bodybuilding shows, so hopefully what i'm doing is working. a little hesitant that the weight isn't dropping, but i'm not too worried b/c the mirror is looking better.

Inspiration Starts Here

Heck yea buddy, awesome stuff in here. I can relate to ya on the being fat part. I used to be huge, (5'8 240lbs), and people always you to pick on me, say I'd never play any sports, etc etc. Now that I'm 5'11 160lbs and alot stronger than I was, people don't talk junk anymore. Going to the gym is truly the one thing that brings the most enjoyment to me throughout the day. I love pushing my body and my mind. If I haven't pushed myself throughout the day, I feel as though the day has gone to waste.

One question I have for ya is this: did you have any loose skin after you lost the weight? Between my body shape (pear) and my excessive weight, I had a considerable amount of loose skin that I had to have surgically taken off. Just was wondering if you had anything similar.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

yeah i definately had loose skin. had to use preparation h to shrink it as much as possible before the last show. am still using it somewhat, but the skin is doing ok now.

about the fat part: the irony is i was one of those guys that was fat but didn't really know i was THAT fat. i'm going to stay lean from now on.

Inspiration Starts Here

Da Tejas
    Damn dude thats a story for the grandkids. 3rd place? The scar alone would've bumped you up to second in my book. Good luck on all your endeavours
    WBB Conditioning Program
    Goal: To not be breathless after 1 mile on the track or 15 min in the gym.
    Weight:210

yeah. 3rd place. blame it on the world's worst posing and bronzing. but now i'm looking ahead to the next 2. i want to win at least one of them (hopefully the mt rogers--it'll be the easier of the two).

Inspiration Starts Here

Maybe you could set up a vid for your posing so some people could help you out with it. Good luck in your competition
    Beer helped slow down my metabolism.... -ozzyman

Indeed an inspirational story. In school we generally regarded staph sepsis as one of the hardest things to get rid of. I'm not surprised at the prognosis the docs gave you. Surviving a myocardial infection is even more miraculous....and then you start training and place at a BB competition?!?! Okay, I'm inspired...I guess I'll shut up and lift. Good on ya.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

Quote Originally Posted by pentacent500
    yeah i definately had loose skin. had to use preparation h to shrink it as much as possible before the last show. am still using it somewhat, but the skin is doing ok now.
    what does prepH do for loose skin? I thought it was a topical diuretic but nothing more...

bignic: hmm...a posing video. i've never even thought of that. i dunno how to do that, though. same as a picture? that's not a bad idea, though.

geoffgarcia: i've often heard that preparation h shrinks the skin. it supposedly works as a yo-yo effect. it will temporarily shrink the skin, then go back to normal, but if you keep applying it, when it goes back to normal, that "normal" is more shrunk than otherwise. it could also be an old wives tale. i have no evidence to back that up--just what i've been told.

ectx: the heart surgery was the easy part, even though i had so many complications. i'm not happy placing, though. i desperately want to win. i'm also playing minor league football and playoffs start saturday. i'm not happy just being back in football. i want the championship, even if it is played one week before the show. there are many inspirational stories out there. sometimes you just have to find them.

Inspiration Starts Here

most digital cameras have a video feature.
    Beer helped slow down my metabolism.... -ozzyman

Quote Originally Posted by BigNic
    most digital cameras have a video feature.
    well right, but i'm a rookie on this forum. didn't even know you could post a video. would i load it the same way as a picture file?

Inspiration Starts Here

well it seems like a good time to post on this thing, given the end of the day. i took the day off from training with weights (about stinking time i did). my problem, as is with many of us, is being overzealous. combine that with no definite split and you can go everyday without a break. unfortunately, i've slacked on the cardio lately. but...that may be a good thing as my body rests temporarily as i prepare for the final push. i worked abs pretty thoroughly today. a lot of hanging leg raises, ball crunches, weighted incline situps, and so on. i followed that up with about 20 minutes of treadmill walking at 3mph and maybe 5 minutes of jogging at 6mph.

tomorrow starts Scaremare, a haunted house which i will be working at from maybe 6pm until roughly 1 or 2am for thurs, fri, sat for the next 3 weeks. fri and sat nights it could be as late as 3 or 4am. couple that with substitute teaching everyday until 2 or so and training in between, i'll have some busy weekends coming up. 23/37 days out. was thinking tonight about cycling my cardio. in other words, do high-intensity (800 calories/hour) for 30 minutes on, for instance, MWF, and low intensity (treadmill walking) for 45 min on TRS. any thoughts out there?

Inspiration Starts Here