The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

alternative to classic deadlift

Hi guys,
    I've read that Deadlifts are an essential part of any fitness programme.

However, my gym doesn't have any free barbells.

There is a Smith machine, tons of dumbells and some cable machines.

Are there any alternatives to classic deadlifts that I can perform with this equipment?

Thanks,
    Mike

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Your gym does not have any barbells? No barbells means no squats, bench press, military press, barbell rows and a whole host of other essential exercises. Sounds like time to find a new gym to me.
    To answer your question you can do deadlifts with dumbbells however I doubt that a gym without barbells will have heavy enough DBs to do an effective deadlift program.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the advice!

I use the Smith machine for squats, benching and military press. Is this ok? Is this radically less effective than a free barbell?

The heaviest dumbells are 40kg.
    Last edited by mikieg_99; 10-14-2004 at 03:02 AM.

yeh free weights tend to be better as they dont lock u into a sret movement and u have to work more with the weight

DB deads are fine, if they go heavy enough. Stay away from smith deads though.

Looking for a DB leg exercise? DB lunges kick ass.

Does your gym have a hyper bench? Those work your lower back well.

You can also do pull throughs on the cable machine. You can do a search here or the exercise will be listed and described on elitefts.com.

Not sure how small your gym is, but maybe you can bug them to buy an olympic bar, they aren't that much money, or you could even buy one yourself and keep it there. You can get the cheaper chrome bars rated for 500lbs for well under $100. Not much cash, and you could be the gym savior, but I'd try to get them to spring for it first.

Dunno if they have ez-curl bars, and am not sure if it would work, but you could try deadlifting with that, and seeing how much you can load on it.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Quote Originally Posted by gopher
    Your gym does not have any barbells? No barbells means no squats, bench press, military press, barbell rows and a whole host of other essential exercises. Sounds like time to find a new gym to me.

I second that...a gym w/o a bb is jsut ****ty.....My biggest excerise would have to be cut out of every lift day because of that

Wannabebig Member
    thanks guys. Well, that's decided it. I just quit the old gym and joined a proper one, with barbells and tons of iron... the girls aren't as cute, but I suppose it's a necessary sacrifice... lol!
    Last edited by mikieg_99; 10-15-2004 at 03:39 AM.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikieg_99
    thanks guys. Well, that's decided it. I just quit the old gym and joined a proper one, with barbells and tons of iron... the girls aren't as cute, but I suppose it's a necessary sacrifice... lol!
    Well, as you're in a proper gym now, with barbells and crap, you'll put on a lot more muscle and in turn will get more girls anyway. There. Problem solved.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 10-16-2004 at 07:57 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.