The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    “It is important to note that the mission in question was carried out using other soldiers from the unit,” Boylan said.

sounds like a real suicide mission to me.....
    Rock Quotes:
    -Girls like big strong men, all the other men has to find a niche or a thing they supposedly love, you know...like saving whales or reading books, to get laid.
    -Look..first I am scared little freezing virgin munk, but then I bare my self and I am nothing like a freezing virgin!
    -Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke, he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    And I'll clench my buttcheeks as hard as I can to keep free of intruders.

journal

what a group of sissies...

"nobody told us this army stuff was going to be dangerous!!!!!!!"

i mean, seriously, how moronic could they be?
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    They should be court martialed and thrown into jail.

Once you sign on that line, you do as you're told except in a few very very specific cases.

"Suicide mission" isn't one of those cases.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Of the driver ilk
    Heres a little something about said mutiny. The very end explains acceptable punishment.

Punitive Articles of the UCMJ

Article 94—Mutiny and sedition
    Text.

(a) "Any person subject to this chapter who--

(1) with intent to usurp or override lawful military authority, refuse, in concert with any other person, to obey orders or otherwise do his duty or creates any violence or disturbance is guilty of mutiny;

(2) with intent to cause the overthrow or destruction of lawful civil authority, creates, in concert with any other person, revolt, violence, or other disturbance against that authority is guilty of sedition;

(3) fails to do his utmost to prevent and suppress a mutiny or sedition being committed in his presence, or fails to take all reasonable means to inform his superior commissioned officer or commanding officer of a mutiny or sedition which he knows or has reason to believe is taking place, is guilty of a failure to suppress or report a mutiny or sedition.

(b) A person who is found guilty of attempted mutiny, mutiny, sedition, or failure to suppress or report a mutiny or sedition shall be punished by death or such other punishment as a court-martial may direct."

Elements.

(1) Mutiny by creating violence or disturbance.

(a) That the accused created violence or a disturbance; and

(b) That the accused created this violence or disturbance with intent to usurp or override lawful military authority.

(2) Mutiny by refusing to obey orders or perform duty.

(a) That the accused refused to obey orders or otherwise do the accused's duty;

(b) That the accused in refusing to obey orders or perform duty acted in concert with another person or persons; and

(c) That the accused did so with intent to usurp or override lawful military authority.

(3) Sedition.

(a) That the accused created revolt, violence, or disturbance against lawful civil authority;

(b) That the accused acted in concert with another person or persons; and

(c) That the accused did so with the intent to cause the overthrow or destruction of that authority.

(4) Failure to prevent and suppress a mutiny or sedition.

(a) That an offense of mutiny or sedition was committed in the presence of the accused; and

(b) That the accused failed to do the accused's utmost to prevent and suppress the mutiny or sedition.

(5) Failure to report a mutiny or sedition.

(a) That an offense of mutiny or sedition occurred;

(b) That the accused knew or had reason to believe that the offense was taking place; and

(c) That the accused failed to take all reasonable means to inform the accused's superior commissioned officer or commander of the offense.

(6) Attempted mutiny.

(a) That the accused committed a certain overt act;

(b) That the act was done with specific intent to commit the offense of mutiny;

(c) That the act amounted to more than mere preparation; and

(d) That the act apparently tended to effect the commission of the offense of mutiny.

Explanation.

(1) Mutiny. Article 94( a)(1) defines two types of mutiny, both requiring an intent to usurp or override military authority.

(a) Mutiny by creating violence or disturbance. Mutiny by creating violence or disturbance may be committed by one person acting alone or by more than one acting together.

(b) Mutiny by refusing to obey orders or perform duties. Mutiny by refusing to obey orders or perform duties requires collective insubordination and necessarily includes some combination of two or more persons in resisting lawful military authority. This concert of insubordination need not be preconceived, nor is it necessary that the insubordination be active or violent. It may consist simply of a persistent and concerted refusal or omission to obey orders, or to do duty, with an insubordinate intent, that is, with an intent to usurp or override lawful military authority. The intent may be declared in words or inferred from acts, omissions, or surrounding circumstances.

(2) Sedition. Sedition requires a concert of action in resistance to civil authority. This differs from mutiny by creating violence or disturbance. See subparagraph c(1)( a) above.

(3) Failure to prevent and suppress a mutiny or sedition. "Utmost" means taking those measures to prevent and suppress a mutiny or sedition which may properly be called for by the circumstances, including the rank, responsibilities, or employment of the person concerned. "Utmost" includes the use of such force, including deadly force, as may be reasonably necessary under the circumstances to prevent and suppress a mutiny or sedition.

(4) Failure to report a mutiny or sedition. Failure to "take all reasonable means to inform" includes failure to take the most expeditious means available. When the circumstances known to the accused would have caused a reasonable person in similar circumstances to believe that a mutiny or sedition was occurring, this may establish that the accused had such "reason to believe" that mutiny or sedition was occurring. Failure to report an impending mutiny or sedition is not an offense in violation of Article 94. But see paragraph 16c(3) (dereliction of duty).

(5) Attempted mutiny. For a discussion of attempts, see paragraph 4.

Lesser included offenses.

(1) Mutiny by creating violence or disturbance.

(a) Article 90--assault on commissioned officer

(b) Article 91--assault on warrant, noncommissioned, or petty officer

(c) Article 94--attempted mutiny

(d) Article 116--riot; breach of peace

(e) Article 128--assault

(f) Article 134--disorderly conduct

(2) Mutiny by refusing to obey orders or perform duties.

(a) Article 90--willful disobedience of commissioned officer

(b) Article 91--willful disobedience of warrant, noncommissioned, or petty officer

(c) Article 92--failure to obey lawful order

(d) Article 94--attempted mutiny

(3) Sedition.

(a) Article 116--riot; breach of peace

(b) Article 128--assault

(c) Article 134--disorderly conduct

(d) Article 80--attempts

Maximum punishment.

For all offenses under Article 94, death or such other punishment as a court-martial may direct.
    "42"

Figured perhaps the "other" side of the military should also be shown:

Paratrooper Who Lost Leg in War Re-Enlists

Sat Oct 16, 8:10 PM ET U.S. National - AP

By ESTES THOMPSON, Associated Press Writer

FORT BRAGG, N.C -
    Perez, 21, still feels the sweat between his toes when he exercises. He's still plagued with nagging cramps in his calf muscle. And sometimes, when he gets out of bed at night without thinking, he topples over.

He is one of at least four amputees from the 82nd Airborne Division to re-enlist. With a new carbon-fiber prosthetic leg, Perez intends to show a medical board he can run an eight-minute mile, jump out of airplanes and pass all the other paratrooper tests that will allow him to go with his regiment to Afghanistan (news - web sites) next year.

On Sept. 14, 2003, Perez, of Carteret, N.J., and seven other members of his squad were rumbling down a road outside Fallujah when a bomb blast rocked their Humvee. Perez recalls flying through the air and hitting the ground hard.

The blast killed one of Perez's comrades. Perez felt surprisingly little pain, but when he tried to get up, he couldn't. He saw that his left foot was folded backward onto his knee. His size 12 1/2 combat boot stood in the dusty road a few feet away, still laced.

A photograph of Perez's lonely boot transmitted around the world and spread across two pages of Time magazine became a stark reminder that the war in Iraq was far from over.

Doctors initially tried to save part of Perez's foot. But an infection crept up his leg, and Perez agreed to allow the amputation below the knee joint.

"I was going to stay in no matter what," he recalls telling the surgeons. "Do whatever would get me back fastest."

Perez was left with a rounded stump that fits into the suction cup of the black carbon-fiber prosthetic leg.

When he arrived at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C., for his rehabilitation, Perez asked a pair of generals who visited his bedside if it was possible for him to stay in the Army.

"They told me, 'It's all up to you, how much you want it,'" he says. "If I could do everything like a regular soldier, I could stay in."

He wasted little time getting started. At one point, a visitor found him doing push-ups in bed. He trained himself to walk normally with his new leg, and then run with it.

Perez has to rise at least an hour earlier than his fellow soldiers to allow swelling from the previous day's training to subside enough for his stump to fit into the prosthetic.

But it is a comfort for Perez to know he's not alone.

At least three other paratroopers in the 82nd have lost limbs in combat during the past two years and re-enlisted. One of them, Staff Sgt. Daniel Metzdorf, lost his right leg above the knee in a Jan. 27 blast. He appealed three times before the fitness board allowed him to stay on.

"I think it's a testimony to today's professional Army," says division commander Maj. Gen. Bill Caldwell. "I also think, deep down, it is a love for their other paratroopers."

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor..._re_enlistment

damn thats a hard man
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

Wannabebig New Member
    Shooter , thanks for that post . The libs dont want anyone seeing what real men are made of . That dude is a stud , no doubt .

Makes me sick to my stomache having cowardly backstabbers like Kerry even comment on those guys .

Our soldiers are the sh*t bro . They are over there doing a job that must suck all the while being undermined by liberal p*ssies . They are attacked on a daily basis by terrorists and the libs .
    Give me your broken , give me your beaten ... I will build them up , I will lead them ... to the threshhold . Make you stronger , make you believe .

i have a lot of respect for that dude.
    Beer helped slow down my metabolism.... -ozzyman

yeah I mean damn, that man is one hard sob
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by Brawl
    Shooter , thanks for that post . The libs dont want anyone seeing what real men are made of . That dude is a stud , no doubt .

Thanks for the reply Brawl, but I don't think it's a "lib" or "con" issue. It was more a reply to the original story about 17 men refusing orders. I tend to believe (having several friends in the military), that the military is more made up of people like this paratrooper, guys who care about defending the US and maybe more importantly, don't want their friends to be in the fire without them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyno Rhino
    They should be court martialed and thrown into jail.

Once you sign on that line, you do as you're told except in a few very very specific cases.

"Suicide mission" isn't one of those cases.
    I agree completely. This is why I hate when people use the lost lives as an argument against the war. Personaly I think it was a mistake based on misinformation, but we are there and these men have jobs to do. They knew what they signed up for, and should understand the consequences. When people at home constantly quote numbers it seems almost disrespectfull to the people who people their lives on the line. JMO.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

whilst i find it interesting that the whole group mutinied, there is a code they need to live up to. and they should be punished according to that code. i hope thye took that into consideration when making there decision.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Quote Originally Posted by smalls
    I agree completely. This is why I hate when people use the lost lives as an argument against the war. Personaly I think it was a mistake based on misinformation, but we are there and these men have jobs to do. They knew what they signed up for, and should understand the consequences. When people at home constantly quote numbers it seems almost disrespectfull to the people who people their lives on the line. JMO.
    i find it puzzling

that the same group who consistently rallies around the "support our troops" mantra

is the same group that espouses "they knew what they were getting into when they joined" opinion when said troops meet their demise
    Last edited by excokehead; 10-18-2004 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by excokehead
    i find it puzzling

that the same group who consistently rallies around the "support our troops" mantra

is the same group that espouses "they knew what they were getting into when they joined" opinion when said troops meet their demise
    The primary reason TO support them is because they are citizens that know full well what they're going into - and they do it anyway.

It's guts, it's determination. When one of their own dies, they are sad - but they all know that the person who died was willing to make that sacrifice for their country and their home.

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"

Pearls of Wisdom...

The primary reason TO support them is because they are citizens that know full well what they're going into - and they do it anyway.

It's guts, it's determination. When one of their own dies, they are sad - but they all know that the person who died was willing to make that sacrifice for their country and their home.
    that's a good point

but i do believe these young boys are dying needlessly

Quote Originally Posted by excokehead
    that's a good point

but i do believe these young boys are dying needlessly
    Maybe you feel that way. I also feel that many of the deaths are sad and could have been avoided.

But I dare you to tell the family of one of these brave men that their son's death was in vain. That it was "needless".

Pearls of Wisdom...

Maybe you feel that way. I also feel that many of the deaths are sad and could have been avoided.

But I dare you to tell the family of one of these brave men that their son's death was in vain. That it was "needless".
    Many of these families already feel that their child died in vain, for a cause that wasn't worth fighting for, in Iraq.

i've seen interviews with family members who said that exact thing

let's not confuse disagreement with the administration's foreign policy with some kind of contempt for our troops

i fully support all the young men and women there, and believe they shoud be used in the manner they were intended for; to protect our nation, not to enforce the misguided policies of a misinformed government.

Quote Originally Posted by Xg74
    Well being a soldier myself, I probably would not disobey an order to go through with a convoy without armed escort. Granted we are those escorts so we would not have any problems, but still. During the second push for Baghdad, the 3rd ID had unarmomred hemets running through a gauntlet of small-arms fire, RPG's and IED's to resupply their soldiers, and none of those soldiers in those convoys disobeyed any orders to continue mission. Vehicles are never truly running 100%, but spare parts and spare vehicles arn't exactly something you can get whenever you want it, so sometimes you have to improvise and just move out. They are soldiers, and should understand that death is part of the game we play, it could be around the next corner, could be that piece of junk lying on the side of the road, could be anywhere, but we have to look it in the eye and just continue mission sometimes.

If they don't like what they are ordered to do, then they never should have joined. The military owns your ass. People do not seem to not understand this simple concept.
    Last edited by Max-Mex; 10-18-2004 at 12:34 PM.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

To paraphrase one soldier...

"the Military isn't meant to be used for nation-building. Our job is to blow stuff up and kill people."
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Quote Originally Posted by Max-Mex

If they don't like what they are ordered to do, then they never should have joined. The military owns your ass. People do not seem to not understand this simple concept.

I disagree. I understand the responsibility one has to one's superiors. However, if someone gives you an assinine order (not saying this was the situation here) would you follow it blindly?
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Damned if you do and damned if you don't. Better off to have never gotten in that situation.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Of the driver ilk
    Quote Originally Posted by Manveet
    I disagree. I understand the responsibility one has to one's superiors. However, if someone gives you an assinine order (not saying this was the situation here) would you follow it blindly?
    Actually, your right, we do not follow blindly, thats what makes our military the greatest on the earth. Although in this particular situation they were just pussies that didn't want to do their job. Our vehicles hardly are ever up to speed or working like they should. Hell, on our uparmored trucks the air conditioner not working is supposed to be a deadline (i.e. not supposed to be used for a mission) but we don't care, we go anyway fixed or not (its broken half the time on most of them).
    "42"

I'm not sure where I come down on this issue....yet. I want to wait until I have more information about the situation. On the one hand, I believe they were asked to escort some fuel that was contaminated, so it was of no use anyway. Yet, I wonder if they went through all the proper channels first because they had a couple of phone message from one of the soldiers and she was pleading with her mom to raise hell to keep them from going.
    The half-million citizens of the District of Columbia, like citizens of the fifty states, bear all of the obligations of American citizenship: they are required to obey the laws passed by Congress; they pay federal taxes; they serve in the military; and they fight and die in our wars. Yet they lack the most basic right that should accompany American citizenship—the right to full voting representation in Congress. This makes the United States the only nation in the world with a representative, democratic constitution that denies citizens of its capital representation in the national legislature. In fact, no fewer than 183 nations provide their citizens the type of representation citizens of Washington, DC are denied.

The Army connot let them get away with it or they would have mutiny on their hands.. something will be done.. Most likey court martial and Dishonorable discharge.. but no jail time for the lower rank people.. but Leaders will get some.. ..and they will do an investigation into their claims ..but they cannot let them get away with it now that the press has it.. Maybe if the press didn't have it they could've investigated it and just give them minor slap on the wrist..but now that it's world news..
    Male 48 years old
    New Start..8/22/2005
    214 30% BF
    Oct 21 206 24% BF
    2/02/06 Started PSMF Weight 201 BF 17.7%
    2/25 192lbs BF 16.26%

Eat for who you want to be not who you are!!