The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arm Wrestling

Banned

Arm Wrestling

Ok, so I consider myself pretty strong for a skinny guy. I work out about 4-5 times per week (yes legs also) and my arms are a good size, I think. Is 16" flexed a good size for a guy who is 6'3" 185lbs right now? Any how back on track....I arm wrestled this guy at work a while ago and he beat the hell out of me! I mean I was no contest. This guy hasn't worked out in years. He is 21 and I am 23, he's about 5'11" 190ish. Is he just naturally strong? Does he have some special technique? Or do I just suck at arm wrestling?

Any exercises I can do in the gym to make my self better at arm wrestling? I normally work forearms once a week, get a good burn and a lot of veins pop out....also work bi's/tri's once a week.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Yes you suck at arm wrestling. No seriously it's just one of those things.. as for the guy at work "Oh i havent worked out in years" (has a set of weights at home and is a bit of a curl jockey? no?) just a theory.. Can't resist and arm wrestle.. undefeated as it stands.
    I'm not moaning, i'm having an opinion.

Wannabebig Member
    Arm wrestling has a lot to do with leverage and i think forearms probably too.
    bill fagan

a year or so ago when i was near my biggest(290ish), guys at work asked me to arm wrestle this other older dude. i decided to act cocky and grab my arm like there is no way anyone there could beat me.

so this guy(Loren) walks over(this is also my first time meeting him), we get set up on the table, once we locked up i knew i was toast. he had a bit of size to him but isnt HUGE. he beat me in about 2 seconds. then he proceeds to tell me he used to arm wrestle in vegas and make some bucks.

anyways, i would imagine it is mostly technique, i wouldnt know im not very good at it.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Make sure your arm isn't stretched out far and his is almost straight up and down, if so, he'll get you everytime(unless you're just way too strong for him).

Some people just suck at it. Myself included. I can't armwrestle for schlitz.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

I hate arm wrestling, almost ****ed my elbow a couple of years ago. At some university games this big dude broke his arm doing the same thing.

And you can **** your rotator cuff too...
    Last edited by Bigmofo; 12-24-2003 at 05:42 PM.

Banned
    hahahaha, ok well atleast we have ourselfs a nice little support group even if no one really know's why we stink

Quote Originally Posted by KIDRR
    Ok, so I consider myself pretty strong for a skinny guy. I work out about 4-5 times per week (yes legs also) and my arms are a good size, I think. Is 16" flexed a good size for a guy who is 6'3" 185lbs right now? Any how back on track....I arm wrestled this guy at work a while ago and he beat the hell out of me! I mean I was no contest. This guy hasn't worked out in years. He is 21 and I am 23, he's about 5'11" 190ish. Is he just naturally strong? Does he have some special technique? Or do I just suck at arm wrestling?

Any exercises I can do in the gym to make my self better at arm wrestling? I normally work forearms once a week, get a good burn and a lot of veins pop out....also work bi's/tri's once a week.

How the hell is 6'3" 185 lbs a skinny guy?

Also because he is shorter, his arms are shorter.
    And will therefore be able to generate more force with a smaller bone length to muscle mass ratio.

Us "bigger" guys need to muscle to generate the same amount of strength.
    And yes, technique counts a lot.

Not that 6'3 185 necessarily would, but it could equate to somewhere in the vicinity of 5'10 and 135-150 pounds (assuming each inch of height makes up for 6-10 pounds of bodyweight). Which at either end of the spectrum could be called skinny.

But anyways, armwrestling is just a homosuspicious pastime. So, whateve.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PizDoff
    How the hell is 6'3" 185 lbs a skinny guy?

Also because he is shorter, his arms are shorter.
    And will therefore be able to generate more force with a smaller bone length to muscle mass ratio.

Us "bigger" guys need to muscle to generate the same amount of strength.
    And yes, technique counts a lot.
    Haha yeah well I think I'd have to get to about 200-210 not to be skinny anymore.

Good info on the shorter arm theory, I think that's true.

It isn't theory. It is fact.

Feel free to research it up, I lost my references a long time ago.

i was just on a night out and cause im big ,ppl dubbed me the terminator and thought they wud challenge me to an arm wrestle i agreed, i never got beat but hell i nearly lost everytime with my right but after 5 minuites of grulling it out and 40 ppl making a circle round watching i got there, well when i got home i was speaking to my dad and he was showing me something about it and it is all technique i never noticed but the guys i wrestled wud bend my hand at a 90 degrees and this makes them have a really big advantage and it was my strength alone that helped me out in the end, i never did realise why my left arm wud win everytime and it was because it natrually bends the way they were doing it.
    Last edited by Monkey; 10-23-2004 at 05:27 PM.

yeah some people are just crazy good at arm wrestling.

i remember i watched this video(from Korea) where they had a gymnast, a powerlifter, and a judo-ist(?) and they had general fitness contests and stuff. the gymnast was damn built and cut, and the powerlifter was obviously pretty huge. the judo-ist guy was average sized.

anyways for the arm wrestling portion, they had this professional arm-wrestler come in, and he looked like any guy off the street. his arms were around 15-16 inches maybe, and when you compared w/ the gymnast or powerlifter his arms were pretty small.

needless to say he whupped both of them soundly. the gymnast went down after like 2 seconds. for the powerlifter, they started, and the pro had kind of a concerned look as they were both kind of equal, but then he kind of smirked and took the powerlifter down in like 3 seconds.

i was pretty amazed lol

im gunna be developing my technique so i can do it better thign is just cause u are god at arm wrestling doesn't make u strong

I've always been good at arm wretling, i'm not sure why. I'm a pretty small dude, but i've beaten guys that have a good weight advantage. So far when i wrestled a guy my size it was no contest. I'm not sure, but i think its like many other sports, technique.
    Milk is the best Supplement

Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.

Banned
    in highschool i was the KING at armwrestling, NO BODY could beat me.

i havent done it in a couple years and went for it again, beat the guy with ease but f'ed my elbow area up. i dont arm wrestle no more i miss it so much

Quote Originally Posted by BlingMeter
    in highschool i was the KING at armwrestling, NO BODY could beat me.

i havent done it in a couple years and went for it again, beat the guy with ease but f'ed my elbow area up. i dont arm wrestle no more i miss it so much
    I BET I COULD BEAT YOU I'M JUST KIDDIN'
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

i ****ing hate arm wrestling, that was big **** when i was in like middle school. I remember it always hurt the hell out of my rotator.
    Beer helped slow down my metabolism.... -ozzyman

Quote Originally Posted by BigNic
    i ****ing hate arm wrestling, that was big **** when i was in like middle school. I remember it always hurt the hell out of my rotator.
    I BET I CAN BEAT YOU 2 NIC!
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

i bet youd be the wbb champ

Banned
    lol ok guys lets not start pulling hair!

Footballer
    Wat the hell, 6'3 185 with 16 inch arms I'm 6'0 195 and mine are only 15.5.
    Calgary Stampeder!
    Formerly a CMU Chippewa!

Just watch "Over the top" like a bajillion times and you'll be ready.

lol that is such a gay movie