The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tiredly going Insane

How this look for a Ketogenic Diet?

Meal 1:
    3 eggs 3 strips bacon 2 capsules flax seed oil

Meal 2:
    6 Slices Lunch Meat, What else?

Meal 3:
    My Pwo Shake: Opticen
    313 cals
    52g's protien
    25gs carbs
    1.7gs fat

Meal 4:
    Salad with 2 tins tuna, ranch dressing.

Meal 5:
    6 ounces Chicken, Green beens or Corn

Meal 6:
    Same as 5, still 2 capsules of flax.

Meal 7:
    3 eggs with 1 cup cheese.
    Last edited by Mademan118; 06-07-2004 at 06:55 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

It looks very....ketogenic. Taking multivits i hope. Whats the total calories looking like compared to your maintenance level?

Tiredly going Insane
    I have my multi's. I think my maintence level is somewhere around 2100 cals, maybe a 2000. I gain weight really easy. im nto sure what the total outcome is yet i have yet to plug it into fitday. Im busy studyin for exams and my quick 1-2 minute breaks are for this and changin laundry haha. But any more comments please im going to start this diet TOMORROW hopefully!

Might also want a pre workout shake with some carbs to give you energy for your workout.

I'd use fish oil rather than flax due to the inefficiency in converting from ALA/LA to DHA/EPA.

I think some other veggies than green beans or corn would be a better option. Broccoli would be great as it's a decent source of protein.
    Last edited by TheGimp; 06-08-2004 at 07:28 AM.

Hulking bulking bruiser Minotaur's Avatar
    Lose the corn. Too starchy and high in carbs.

Tiredly going Insane
    okay so green beans, and then on meal 6 1 cup broccoli

skinny white boy
    Lower protein, add fat. Should be 30% protein, 70% fat. And where is your fiber?

Quote Originally Posted by ace dogg
    Lower protein, add fat. Should be 30% protein, 70% fat.
    Why is this? Protein will keep you more sated.
    Last edited by TheGimp; 06-08-2004 at 02:19 PM.

skinny white boy
    Because of protein's conversion to glucose. It's the most basic aspect of the ketogenic diet. Protein = 58% glucogenic...kicik you right outta ketosis. Fat = 0% glucogenic.

Fat keeps most people more satiated anyway.

Tiredly going Insane
    well help me out here. What should i add, this is my first ketogenic diet and i need some help here.

As an example, cut out one of the tins of tuna and use full fat mayo on the other?

What are your current macro breakdowns?

Quote Originally Posted by ace dogg
    Because of protein's conversion to glucose. It's the most basic aspect of the ketogenic diet. Protein = 58% glucogenic...kicik you right outta ketosis. Fat = 0% glucogenic.

Fat keeps most people more satiated anyway.
    Interesting, thanks for enlightening me.

As far as fat keeping people satisfied, BBC's Horizons programme on the Atkins diet concluded that it was possible ketosis had nothing to do with its success, but rather the higher than normal protein content which kept people fuller and made it easier for them to eat less calories.

Quoting from the transcript:

NARRATOR: This may be the secret to the Atkins diet. It works by controlling appetite. But what is it about the diet that kills hunger? Dr Atkins believed that it was due to cutting carbohydrates, but as yet evidence for this theory is so far inconclusive. There may be another reason. The Atkins diet is famous for its fat. Dr Atkins said you could eat as much of it as you like. Is it possible that fat could be suppressing appetite? To find out Susan Jebb and her team decided to run an experiment. All the meals in the study looked exactly the same, but there was a big difference. Half the food had liberal quantities of fat secretly added to it.

Dr SUSAN JEBB: We used things like spaghetti bolognaise or mousses so that you could because easily disguise the fat content of the food.

NARRATOR: None of the volunteers knew which type of food they were getting. But half of them were eating low fat meals, and half were eating high fat meals.

Dr SUSAN JEBB: What we told them is they could eat as much or as little as they wanted and they simply just had to ask when they wanted more food.

NARRATOR: If fat was the magic ingredient that switches appetite off, then the men eating the high fat food would fewer calories than normal to feel full. After four hundred and eighty six meals the results were clear. The fat was having the exact opposite effect. The men on the high fat food needed more calories to satisfy their appetite. They were actually overeating.

Dr SUSAN JEBB: What we conclude from that is that fat doesn’t make people feel full. It doesn’t trigger the sense of fullness and satiety that we believe is fundamental to appetite control.
    NARRATOR: Professor Astrup was running a study to discover the secret of appetite control. To do this he chose sixty shoppers and split them in to two groups. One group shopped for high carbohydrate food, the other group shopped for food high in protein, similar to the Atkins diet but low in fat.

Prof ARNE ASTRUP: One group should eat a lot of, of lean meat from shell fish, fish, poultry and lean meat, and dairy products. And the other group should eat a lot of bread, pasta, rice, fruit and vegetables.

NARRATOR: Both groups were told they could eat as much as they wanted. They should eat to satisfy their appetite just as Dr Atkins advised on his diet. The study ran for a whole year and the results were spectacular.

Prof ARNE ASTRUP: One of the groups was losing much more than the other group. I say it was four or five kilo more.

NARRATOR: When they looked more closely it was clear which group had lost so much weight. it was the group eating a diet high in protein. And the shopping lists revealed why.

Prof ARNE ASTRUP: We could see from the data that the reason why the high protein group had lost more weight was because they had actually consumed fewer calories throughout the study, despite the fact that they had just as the same free access to all the foods they really want to, to eat.

NARRATOR: At last the mystery of how the Atkins diet works may have been solved. It might have nothing to do with calories being lost. Probably nothing to do with ketosis. And apparently nothing to do with burning more calories. Neither does it seem to be due to gorging on fats. The secret to the diets success may be down to something completely different. Protein makes you feel full. Increasing the amount of protein in the diet may control appetite and make people eat less than they would normally. If this research goes on to be confirmed it will be a major advance for science.
    Would you be more satisfied by a teaspoon of olive oil or a 30g casein shake?

shake for me
    Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal.These things are for lesser men.Protect the weak against the evil strong.And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil."

live by the code

Tiredly going Insane
    Meal 1:
    3 eggs 3 strips bacon 2 capsules flax seed oil

Meal 2:
    6 Slices Lunch Meat, What else? Ineed a high fat food here !!!!

Meal 3:
    My Pwo Shake: Opticen
    313 cals
    52g's protien
    25gs carbs
    1.7gs fat

Meal 4:
    Salad with 1 tins tuna cheese on tuna, ranch dressing.

Meal 5:
    6 ounces Chicken, Green beens

Meal 6:
    Same as 5 but brocoli, still 2 capsules of flax.

Meal 7:
    3 eggs with 1 cup cheese.
    Total macro w/o PWO:
    Cals: 1900
    Fat: 126
    Carbs: 14
    Protien: 165
    I need to drop protien and raise fat. What do i need to cut out and add to my diet?
    Last edited by Mademan118; 06-09-2004 at 10:19 PM.

Reduce the chicken in meal 5 and drizzle some olive oil over the rest?

Use some imagination

skinny white boy
    Dude enjoy keto. How about:

meal 1 - 6 whole eggs

meal 2 - hot dogs, bacon

meal 3 - cheese burger (no bun, obviously)

meal 4 - hot dogs, bacon

meal 5 - chicken and oil

Take your vitamins and fiber.

NattyPB aint too bad either, If you're having trouble hitting your caloric req's.

If not try eatin extra mayo or oliveoil.
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    Research that s*** up son. <me
    ---
    Gyno Rhino: "I think your cyber-game just sucks."
    ---
    Brawl: "Fill it with rocks , walk up to the sales dude and hit him in the face with it . When he falls down kick him in the neck and say " this stuff is junk "."

Brawl: "Or grab a bottle bust it on the table and stab him in his neck"

skinny white boy
    Also I wouldn't worry about a meal plan at all. Just make sure each meal is ketogenic. The amount of meals doesn't matter either, or the timing of them. All that crap comes in cuz of carbs...and even then, it's still not really important.

Tiredly going Insane
    so basically i dont need a real specific diet? just eat no carb **** and good fats and i should be fine?

skinny white boy
    Pretty much. You do have to get a reasonable amount of calories, but the nature of the diet itself does a good job at doing that for you. My advice is to have a basic idea of what you should be eating, which you already have, and just use it as a guideline. The more important matter is the carb load. You doing a TKD or a CKD?

The Chicken Mr'ga
    wont the shake kick him out of keto?
    For every $1 you donate to the "buy Lude more weight plates foundation", you will help add 1kg to my 1RM.

<spam> Journal </spam>

Current Stats: 85kg @ 13.6%
    Goal: 87-88kg @ 8-9%
    Goal Due Date: 1/12/05

skinny white boy
    Actually yeah, that answered my own question...You want to kick yourself outta ketosis on a TKD before/after workouts.
    Last edited by ace dogg; 06-11-2004 at 02:16 PM.

most shakes have maybe 2-5g of carbs - unless it is an MRP (which shouldn't be taken on a CKD at all unless it is carb-up time).
    personally i would add mayo or cheese to the lunchmeat slices since it is like eating a saltlick to me with all the sodium. eggs are a great source of food on a keto. you can even add the yolks. make an omelet with cheese and ham as well. mmmmmm.

personally, i think overall, your EFAs are low. and FIBER is an absolute necessity on a prolonged CKD. you will thank me for that later.
    Size is SEXY!

As long as there's raniali nudity, its all good. -- PMDL, my idol
    My God. I wish, if only for a day, i had hooters like that to play with. -- TCD, my other idol
    It is as stable as my mindset around your breasts. -- robboe
    Good god raniali....you have an amazing physique. -- JustinASU
    Whenever raniali posts in a thread, somebody is bound to get aroused, thats just the way it is. -- Y2A

~Anything worth doing at all IS worth doing well.~
    ~You all laugh because I am diFFereNt; I laugh because you're all the same.~
    ~Have no fear of perfection; you will never reach it. -- Salvador Dali, Diary of A Genius~

Quote Originally Posted by Mademan118
    well help me out here. What should i add, this is my first ketogenic diet and i need some help here.
    You will want to take Psyllium Husks, because you are going to want to keep things moving along.

Tiredly going Insane
    okay i cant stand this i need a set diet. hah so here it goes im going to take a Stab at making a diet. Basically i need help filling in the one more item spots.

Meal 1:
    3 Eggs, 3 Slices Cheese, 3 Slices Bacon?

Meal 2:
    5 Slices Lunch Meat cooked in 1 tsp Olive Oil, one more item

Meal 3:
    Salad with chicken on it, 2 servings Ranch Dressing

Meal 4:
    Tuna Melt: 2 tins Tuna, Then cover tuna completely with cheese, (usually about 4-5 slices)

meal 5: Chicken + Green Veggies Edit: Both cooked in olive oil.

Meal 6:
    3 Eggs, 3 slices Cheese.

6 Flax Seed Oil Caps Taken Daily. ALso for the Meal 3: lets say im at work, can a Mcdonalds Salad be fine?
    Last edited by Mademan118; 06-13-2004 at 04:34 PM.