The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Advice

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member
    I admire a lot of the people that post on these forums for the determination that they have in striving to reach there goals. I consider myself to be an above average strength 19 year old college student. I am 5'7 315 and i have a real big problem trying to lose weight no matter what i do. My goal is to someday be around 260 pounds. I have made a lot of improvements on to my body since i began lifting since i was 345 pounds when i started to lift. Gaining strength on excercises has never been a problem for me.I know that if i could get the right advice the work that i put in at the gym will start to show. I have been lifting since i was 16 years old, and im pretty experienced in the differnet types of excercises. if anyone has any advice on the type of program i should try let me know. I am open to all suggestions. I have tried a lot of different programs but any suggetions would help I wil try to post a pictiure as soon as possible.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    First off, why the heck did you choose the name you did? I expected you to weigh like 130. hehe

Anyway, how's your diet? Your diet is key, especially when trying to lose unwanted fat. You can be off on your training and still suceed with a good diet. It is hard to do it the other way around.

Let us know some more info, like how many days you currently lift, how many days you want to, do you do cardio? Let us know some more stuff and we'll do our best to help.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

I think that you'll like the article I have written Littleone.
    It's on goal setting.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Wannabebig Member
    Well i go to school full time, i usually lift 4 days a week but i am open to any changes to that. I am actually pretty active i use to play football and i jog around my campus like once a week. the only cardio equipment i have accesiable to me are stairsteppers and bikes. my diet is hard to keep steady becasue i live in a dorm and eat in a caferteria. i do pretty good about staying away from pizza. the hardest thing is not getting two of the main course at the caferteria. i would rather keep lifting at least 4 days a week becasue it keeps me from sitting around all day in my room. my metabolism is just really slow and anything i eat sticks to my body. i dont know if my strength on certain excercise make a difference but I squat 325 for sets of 10, i do sets of 5 on flat bench press with 355, and my deadlift by far is my worst lift i usually work with 245 for sets of 10.m I think the diet is going to be the biggest thin i have to work on.

As far as my name it was always a nickname I had in highschool.

I don't know about your weight thing, but damn you're a strong mofo.

Hey Littleone,

I think Latman is SPOT on....

Diet is the key..

I have said this sooo many times but I'll say it again. I got crappy results untill I got my diet in check and now I am making consistent gains...

<quote>You can be off on your training and still suceed with a good diet. It is hard to do it the other way around. </quote>

I agree with this completely.. You even admit its hard to keep a good diet with your school and th cafeteria etc....

I think if you really want to see results, you need to be more specific about your diet, or at least as specific as you can be.. People often say they can't afford to buy all their own food, but I am amazed at how cheap it is to buy good food !!!!

If you really want to lose weight I think you should be working your bmr out (body maintenence rate) and trying as hard as possible to count calories and creating a negative calorie defect.. (eating under your bmr)

Hopefully you'll get some more comments here, but can you outline what is an average diet day for you ? Perhapas we can help you elimate foods which you are eating or adding some that you should be

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    355? CRAP! Thats damn near three Budiaks! I can only bench like... .49 littleones!
    Hey man, I used to be big. I mean FAT. I was 200 lbs at 5'5 (I havent grown vertically...sob..) when I was 14, at 29% body fat. I'm not sure of your composition, but having a max of near 400 lbs you've got to have a lot of muscle under there, something I never had.
    I lost 60 lbs in about 3 years, and I think losing it slow is the best way because it means you've made changes in your lifestyle, not just a two week blast. I actually got underweight...I lost a lot of muscle as well as fat and I still looked kinda flabby.
    Hey man, I Was in a dorm last year and I had to eat from the cafeteria. What I did to try to keep at least semi- healthy was to get one of the main portion and then a big ass bowl of some sort of cereal- a whole grain something. I'd have a slice of whatever and a big bowl of grape nuts. The fiber in the grape nuts expands in your stomach and helps to satisfy you. Also drink two glasses or so of water or low-fat milk. Whatever filled me up.
    Ummmmm.... oh yeah, never drink hot cocoa. Dont ask why, just trust me.

Gonnabebig Member
    hey littleone,
    I have a darn near non-existent metabolism also. I am only 205, but thats because I bust my hump to stay at it. Diet is definitely the key. Always enjoy what you eat, just eat in moderation and try to eat healthy...and be disciplined. My biggest problem is that when I get bored, I eat. My cure is to stay as busy as possible. I lift weights and do kickboxing to take up time and its great exercise. Besides that, I clean my apt. when I get bored. Yeah, its not fun, but it works for me. Hobbies are about the best way to deal with it I suppose. I hope this helps out a bit, Good luck though!!

tack

Wannabebig Member
    hulk my diet is something that fluctuates depending on how much time i usually have to eat. I think that if i had structured diet that would help a lot. But usually i do not get to eat much more than an apple for breafast. i Usually have 2 turkey sandwichs and a salad for lunch then immediatly after i lift i havea protein shake. For dinner usually a salad and whatever the main entree is. I try not to eat much after 7pm. Thats why sometimes i think i am training wrong because i do not actually get to eat very often becasue i have a pretty hectic schedule.

oh yeah with each meal i have two glasses of water and two glasses of skim milk.

How do you figure out your BMR?

Your the perfect candidate!

Hey man,

Pick up the Body For Life book, and give it a read. One night read, easily. This book will help you set goals, and give you a basic nutrition plan to get you used to the concept of eating 6 times a day.

It's a great program that can get a beginner started. When you complete the 12 weeks, you will have a better understanding of what's going on, and you can then move on to programs geared towards what you want to accomplish.

I am doing the program, because I made good progress with it last year, but quit 7 - 8 weeks in, and since then haven't been able to stick to anything. So, I am starting Week #3 and going strong. The fat is coming off, and the muscles are coming in pretty good.

Anyways, a lot of people might talk down the BFL program, because it's created by EAS and they like to mention their supplements in the book. Which is fair, if you ask me. You can use whatever Protein Shakes you want / MRP. Take the program, pick what you like to eat.. follow the book, get your goals set and go for it.

Never look back, and don't quit if you have a bad day...

Twiztid
    Stay Down With The

Runnin' with the Hatchet.. like WHUT?!?

YEAh! do what Twidzid said!
    Eat Tuna!
    "Ya don't touch my tuna, I don't kill you."- by Tuna Master
    "Part of getting what you want is knowing what you have to give up." - by who knows. ME? Eat Tuna!
    My Journal - My FitDay -

Gonnabebig Member
    great post Twiztid...

my roommate is going to start that, he told me about it and i like the concept alot and think it would be worth a shot!! I'm going to see how it works for him before judging it. But, don't do like my roommate and start buying every dang supplement EAS slaps their label on. That has to get expensive!!

Wannabebig Member
    twiztid thanks for the idea I have a read a lot of that book and watched both of the videos back when it first came out. That is what helped me to lose my first 15 pounds. BUt the workout itself is not enough for me. I just seem to get bored with it. Plus I would rather work out between 4 and 5 days per week. I have been a pretty serious lifter for about 3 years i have made a lot of good gains. I prob shoudl have posted on the diet and nutrition board but i was also looking for some help witha new rep scheme to help me burn more fat. but thanks for the tip twiztid

Your right!

Tackleberry..

Yeah, unfortunatly somebody without prior knowledge to working out, will buy into the whole 'I need EAS to do this concept!'.

Bill Phillps deserves to make money on such a great program that is helping people get started towards their goals. It's his book, and he can advertise EAS all he wants.

I mean, EAS is one of the best out there.. but you also pay good money for it. I don't own one EAS product. I can't afford it...

I agree. if your going to do this, shop around. There are lots of good supps out there (you don't even need supps to do this...)

Good reply Tackleberry.

Twiztid

PS, Fellow Police Academy fan?
    Stay Down With The

Runnin' with the Hatchet.. like WHUT?!?

I want to throw in my 2 cents about Bill Phillips. I think he puts out one of the more sensible mags out there. I think the EAS products are high quality. I don't think that most bodybuilders need to take supplements, nor do I think that most of them really work. I do think that if one is dieting, products like myoplex are ok to use. I think he is a shrewd businessman who is a lot better than the Weiders, his competition. I also think that his mags give good training advice that works for the natural trainee (in general).
    Last edited by chris mason; 02-19-2001 at 05:32 PM.

Gonnabebig Member
    Twiztid,
    Yes i definitely am a P.A. fan. Although, I was given the nickname. One friend called me Tackleberry, cuz he said I have an "extreme attitude" like Tack from the movie(whatever that means ) It caught on and now most people who know me, know me as Tackleberry. Pretty funny, but I like it...at least its better than the names SOME people call me ha ha

later,
    tack