Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: deadlifted for first time today...

Hybrid View

deadlifted for first time today...

for the first time for me, I seriously deadlifted today. My first set I did 225x10 and I felt good. Then I upped it to 275 and did it three times. THen did 275 again 4 times. Both of those were grip limited (forgot straps). After every rep I had to put the bar down and re-grip Anyways, then I tried maxing out at 315 and I got it about half way up, but then realized I was going to drop it as my grip was failing, so I just put it down.

My question is, is my grip just really weak, or do most people have these problems? I know I had 315 in me if I could have held the bar.

Also, now I have some appreciation of those of you deadlifting >500lbs

Banned
    i use alternating grip. lleft palm facing me and the right palm facing in front of me, allows me to hold a HELL of a lot more weight while still giving me correct form.

that was really good for your first time man
    Beer helped slow down my metabolism.... -ozzyman

Quote Originally Posted by BigNic
    that was really good for your first time man
    thanks! I did use the alternate grip, a friend over the summer was doing that when he deadlifted. Oh, and even 275 felt like a ton of weight for me! 315 was crazy. Oh, and I was using the conventional stance, not the sumo stance.

BTW, I am 5'8, 160lbs and you are where I wanna be nic, except of how you bench 225, I want to incline 225

Now you'll be addicted!

Banned
    225 incline is peice of cake... keep up the heavy lifting and the grip will soon come to follow. couple months ago a 315 shrug was hard on my grip, now i find it pretty easy to grip 365.

Quote Originally Posted by BlingMeter
    225 incline is peice of cake... keep up the heavy lifting and the grip will soon come to follow. couple months ago a 315 shrug was hard on my grip, now i find it pretty easy to grip 365.
    well for you 225 may be easy, but remember you also have 45lbs of mass over me, most of which is probably lean mass.

I don't intend to get much over 170lbs if that, but I would like to shed BF down to around 5% and just pack on the lean muscle

ya inclining 225x10 is my current pressing goal. I can do over 10 with 225 on flat but as weve discussed in other threads, i dont like flat benching.

Thats an awesome first time DL. I started way, way lower than that. Just make sure that you are keeping a close eye on form.
    Man, if he do but live within the light of high endeavors, daily spreads abroad his being armed with strength that cannot fail.

--Wordsworth

Quote Originally Posted by orbital
    Thats an awesome first time DL. I started way, way lower than that. Just make sure that you are keeping a close eye on form.

I honestly didn't think there was much in terms of a concrete form for deadlift? I thought you just set your feet and pull up and lock out? For example, Chris Mason posted a video of his deadlift, and he was basically using all back. I like to have a medium of back and legs (obviously back will be used a little more).

Anyways, I guess I will just keep trying at this deadlift and see what results I get. At my gym it's definitely the forgotten exercise, I never see anyone doing it

Quote Originally Posted by GMCtrk
    At my gym it's definitely the forgotten exercise, I never see anyone doing it
    cuz they're all "scared" :evillaugh
    STATS:
    • 5'9"
    • ~185

The Big 3 (2 sets):
    Flat BB Bench 270
    Deadlift 355 (no belt/straps)
    Squat

Banned
    ya i have seen 1 other guy doing a deadlift. he was pushing 6 plates on each side and is i think 34yo and in the army. ppl **** there pants when they see him do that. im the 2nd one at the gym toe deadlift. feels awkward when ppl wonder what the hell your doing.

I honestly didn't think there was much in terms of a concrete form for deadlift? I thought you just set your feet and pull up and lock out? For example, Chris Mason posted a video of his deadlift, and he was basically using all back. I like to have a medium of back and legs (obviously back will be used a little more).
    Watch your form. Just because Mason can pull like that doesn't mean you're developed enough to do that safely.

Keep your back straight!

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Watch your form. Just because Mason can pull like that doesn't mean you're developed enough to do that safely.

Keep your back straight!
    sorry, but I refuse to listen to this. It is impossible to do a deadlift while keeping your back straight.

This is the form I use when deadlifting: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...BDeadlift.html

*EDIT* I guess if you are using sumo style you could keep your back relatively straight, but no way if you are using conventional style
    Last edited by GMCtrk; 10-16-2004 at 10:55 PM.

sorry, but I refuse to listen to this. It is impossible to do a deadlift while keeping your back straight.

This is the form I use when deadlifting: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...BDeadlift.html

*EDIT* I guess if you are using sumo style you could keep your back relatively straight, but no way if you are using conventional style
    I believe that you're confusing straight with vertical. I doubt that anyone is doing deadlifts with their backs perpindicular to the floor.
    However, if your back isn't kept straight and tight throughout the lift, your chances of injury are significantly raised, as the bulk of the load goes to your spine instead of your spinal erectors.

Huh? That is excellent, straight back-ed form. I don't mean vertical, I mean keeping a strong arch, so that you don't round your spine backward.

Edit: Denim beat me to it!
    Last edited by MixmasterNash; 10-16-2004 at 11:08 PM.

good job on your 1st DL attempt!! just pick up some chalk and you're all set!!
    STATS:
    • 5'9"
    • ~185

The Big 3 (2 sets):
    Flat BB Bench 270
    Deadlift 355 (no belt/straps)
    Squat

we're you using chalk?? It really does help, also you may want to try sumo...If your like me it's much more comfortable

Quote Originally Posted by dawk20
    we're you using chalk?? It really does help, also you may want to try sumo...If your like me it's much more comfortable
    I'll give sumo a try next time! It just looks so akward though :alcoholic

lol just dont slope your back.

my bad, definitely confused straight with vertical. But damn, could someone really lift 300+ lbs by simply bending their back???

yes. once

a lot of people use a lot of back. For instance if you see ronnie pull, he almost does a short rom sldl. Its hard for me to explain, but it seemsl ike every person i see pull does it a lil different.

According to that website, DL targets the erector spine, then the gluteus, quad (legs), hamstrings and the stabilizers are the traps (which don't get work that much).. So this exercise is not a back exercise.. I know, myself does it on back days, because i am beat after squats.... But i am just having second thoughts about DL, maybe it is all hype..

Quote Originally Posted by PYRO
    According to that website, DL targets the erector spine, then the gluteus, quad (legs), hamstrings and the stabilizers are the traps (which don't get work that much).. So this exercise is not a back exercise.. I know, myself does it on back days, because i am beat after squats.... But i am just having second thoughts about DL, maybe it is all hype..

well it aids quite a bit of your back. our lower back, erectors, and traps are all part of your back. Are you sure your locking out at the end, a lot of people, including me, feel it a lot in the traps. then of course it also hits your glutes and hams. I think it could be on either a lower body or back day. Maybe you could even give it a day to itself