Thread: help a burned out med student

Wannabebig Member

help a burned out med student

Hi. I'm new to this forum. My name is Aj and I'm a final year med student. I weight lift on and off. . but I would like to change that. The problem is that I don't have much time to go to gym with the workload of college. I have the following equipment at home.. A benchpress w/ incline, barbell, 240 pounds of discs, 2 adjustable dumbells, a seated curling bench, and a stationary bike. Could anyone please help me make a schedule using this equipment? I know there's no substitute for a gym but this is what I have to work with.

thank you,

Aj*

Personnally AJ, I believe the only advantage of going to a gym is the mind set. You know you're going to the gym to work out, when you're at home it's very eay to be distracted from your lifting. Mind set is a very big part of training for anything.

As far as your equipment is concerned, you have all you need to put on a lot of muscle. If you're strapped for time, try this routine:

4 sets of 8 reps for each exercise with a weight that only just allows u to finish the last rep of the last set, one min rest between sets, 3 mins between exercises. 2 warm up sets of 10 reps of 50% and 75% of the weight you lift in your 4 working sets.

day one: bench press, bicep curl
    day two: bent-over row, deadlift, lunges
    day three: shoulder press, french press

if you have the facility to do squats then substitute them for lunges.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, set aside a time to do your exercises, then when the time comes DO THEM. It's very easy to say I'll do it when I finish this and that but as they say "tomorrow never comes."

Good luck,
    Last edited by firas; 10-13-2004 at 04:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by firas

MOST IMPORTANTLY, set aside a time to do your exercises, then when the time comes DO THEM. It's very easy to say I'll do it when I finish this and that but as they say "tomorrow never comes."
    I agree. It is important to stick to your workout schedule, especially when you are busy and stressed. The workout will help you burn off the stress and stay healthier, so you'll feel better and actually have an easier time getting your stuff done.

AJ...

dude, i feel your pain. i'm a seminary student (master's-level work), part time youth pastor, precontest bodybuilding, in-season football player, fulltime substitute teacher, and i'm working on writing my next book. i know all about the time constraints. but if you're in med school, you know all about being able to compartmentalize your time and mind. get the mindset and focus of working out and it really doesn't matter what you do. you'll see gains as.
    bodybuilding is not a hobby for me. it's about a doctor saying i'll never walk again, and proving him wrong by conquering the physical world. it's more than a stress reliever; it is an answer to my critics who say i can't do it. it's more than a tool of physique; it's a tool of worship. it's more than a sport; it is who i am.

Inspiration Starts Here

Wannabebig Member
    Glad to get so many posts! Yeah, I usually workout alone at home... so I can't really go for that extra rep at the end. It's just that my friends aren't too worried about how they look or just don't want to put any effort to better themselves. ?!
    my only motivation is some program on my ppc that keeps track of my exercise routines...

What does everyone here use as a motivation? I don't know anyone (here) that I can look up to .. like "man, I gotta look like that someday." I'm currently studying in india but I lived in usa all my life. I have a large frame compared to my "indian-counterparts" so I also get the same old story from everyone... "why do you work out? You're already big? You look fine.." They really bring me down most of the time..

What should I do?

Aj*

I don't know anyone (here) that I can look up to .. like "man, I gotta look like that someday."
    watch some hrithik roshan movies haha... jk!

I'm Indian as well and I get those questions from my parents to my uncles and aunts, even my cousins. Once, my uncle saw the drinking a protein shake and starts lecturing me on how they're bad for you and what not, all this while he's drinking a beer. By the end of the night he's so drunk I had to drive him home. Anyway, the point. They usually don't know what they're talking about and you shouldn't let it bother you because you're doing it for yourself and not for anyone else.

Banned
    dammit i hate school..if it werent for school taking up all my time, id be massive by now

personally if youre a med student i dont even think you have time to lift weights until you complete the program. i know a lot of guys that were med students full time and still didnt have enough time to study, write papers, etc. all i can say is good luck.

Wannabebig Member

you're so right about this

Quote Originally Posted by T_Chapman
    personally if youre a med student i dont even think you have time to lift weights until you complete the program. i know a lot of guys that were med students full time and still didnt have enough time to study, write papers, etc. all i can say is good luck.

you're right about this which is why I only work out 3 times a week so about 3 hours a week. I stopped for a month and a half because i just didn't have the time. I guess it finally comes down to priorities...

Quote Originally Posted by T_Chapman
    Depends entirely on the student. Some students can absorb material very quickly while others have to spend a little more time. I hope I won't have to give up bodybuilding while I'm in med school.

Wannabebig Member
    It's nice to hear you're interested in the medical field!