Thread: Leg Extensions/Leg Curls/Seated Calf Raises

Hybrid View

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar

Leg Extensions/Leg Curls/Seated Calf Raises

Do any of you guys do Leg Ext's? Do you think it's good to do both squats and leg ext. for the quads during leg day? Or would squats alone be good enough for the quads?

Also, after doing SLDL's, do any of you guys do Leg Curls? Or would SLDL's alone be good enough for hams?

Also, after doing Standing Calf Raises, do any of you guys do Seated Calf Raises? Or are Standing raises good enough?

I did use the search function to try to find out, but couldn't find any answers.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Banned
    i beleive i heard leg extensions are a waste of time and leg press, squats, lunges work the best.

for the rest i dunno. i just do seated calf raises.

more help will chime in!

I too have heard Leg Ext's are a waste, but I've also heard the other side of the story saying that they have use.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 10-16-2004 at 09:07 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Quote Originally Posted by BlingMeter
    i beleive i heard leg extensions are a waste of time and leg press, squats, lunges work the best.

for the rest i dunno. i just do seated calf raises.

more help will chime in!
    I used to do Leg ext and they were never a 'waste of time'.. granted, other exercises may be more effective. I wouldn't go as far as to say they were of no use.
    I'm not moaning, i'm having an opinion.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    I do HS Calf Raises, and have thus far worked well.

http://hammerstrength.com/product/pr...l/hs_plate.asp
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Under Construction
    Standing calf raises work the gastroc while the seated work the soleus. The bent knee puts the gastroc in active insufficiency. Both are necessary.
    Just one guy's opinion.

I do both Leg Ext and Leg Curls

I do them in supersets:

Leg Ext with SLDL
    Leg Curls with Standing Calf Raises

I also do Front Squats by themselves
    A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day.

res firma mitescere nescit

Pumping Iron @ Villy!
    Leg ext/leg curls/ and seated calf raises is prtty much all i do for my leg workout...since i cant squat.
    "Geneing Leans Green"

Like J450n83 said. They're not a waste of your time at all.

The primary exercises that you listed most people would consider more effective however. But the secondary ones you listed can still be very useful and have their place.

Alright, thanks guys. I will continue to do those exercises.
    Lifting Journal