Thread: Help me gain 100% mass

Help me gain 100% mass

Right now my goal is to gain mass. I care very little about cuts and definition right now, which is how I normally train.

Can somebody give me a good routine that'll work really well for building mass including diet? (whether to have lots of fats and carbs or little)

Quote Originally Posted by Mission
    Right now my goal is to gain mass. I care very little about cuts and definition right now, which is how I normally train.

Can somebody give me a good routine that'll work really well for building mass including diet? (whether to have lots of fats and carbs or little)

dude theres hundreds of threads already started that ask this question.

theres also hundreds of articles on this website, in the archives bro.

just look around a bit more before posting.

gl
    think youve got an edge on me? think again.

Shad

100% mass? I think you will be needing some steroids, God's genetics and some good luck.

Seriously, try something like WBB1 and do a little research around the site in the bulking articles, head over to the diet forum. gl.
    Man, if he do but live within the light of high endeavors, daily spreads abroad his being armed with strength that cannot fail.

--Wordsworth

check atlargenutrition.com too, they have good articles on bulking and lifting for bulking.

All you have to do to gain mass is to eat more calories than you take in, it doesn't matter how much more, you're macronutrient breakdown, or when you eat it, as long as you eat more calories than you burn you will gain mass.

Now if you're talking about 100% muscle, that's a different concept.
    Last edited by Paul Stagg; 10-15-2004 at 07:15 AM.

How old are you?

What to you weigh now, how tall are you, and what is your BF%?

How long have you been lifting?
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Age- 15
    Height- 5'10"
    Weight- 145 lbs
    bodyfat- 10%

Pumping Iron @ Villy!
    10% bf your fairly cut alrdy, I suggest a bulk, and using a good solid routine, try browsing the site, you may find some good routines.
    "Geneing Leans Green"

Well, you first have to realize that there is no such thing as a bulking with gains only coming from muscle. If you're bulking, learn to deal with gaining fat. Remember that it is only temporary, and you can cut whenever you feel the BF is getting too high. From there you can gain some definition and cuts, etc...

I'd also like to say that it wouldn't be wise to ask for a routine to be "given" to you. This goes with your dieting plan as well. Routine building takes a lot of trial and error, time, practice, patience and overall general knowledge of what you're doing. I suggest you take a look at the WBB Routines (typically people like the first one; good for beginners) and start from scratch. Use information you learn from those schedules and build something that will work with you and help you gain mass. If it doesn't work for you, fiddle around with sets, exercises and your splits.

However, if you want a suggestion for a routine, i highly recommend WWB Routine 1.

Hope this helps and good luck!
    My Stats
    Weight: 180
    Height: 5'8''

Exactly what Zearoth said, excellent advice.

eat, eat and eat some more. stick to compound movements(DLs, squats,etc.)
    STATS:
    • 5'9"
    • ~185

The Big 3 (2 sets):
    Flat BB Bench 270
    Deadlift 355 (no belt/straps)
    Squat

Gaining 100% would be great. Hopefully someone one day will come up with some chemical or drug which makes this possible.

Some good posts.

Routnies are built using trial and error, figuring out what works for you. given you are a beginner, though, there are some good basic templates you can use.

One is the routine (or a modification thereof) suggested in McCallum's 'Keys to Progress.' It's a very basic full body routine done 3 days a week, focusing on basic lifts, like squats, SLDL, chins, rows, bench presses and OH presses.

I wrote a couple of articles for the main WBB site a couple of years ago with my take on how to set up a routine, there is a link to those articles in my sig.

You may also consider the WBB routine as a good base to start - a different approach using a split routine.

I also think Chris Mason has some articles here, as well as at the AtLarge Nutrition website that are very good 'put muscle on a lamppost' routines.

The key is to keep is basic, stay consistent, and keep adding weight to the bar.

And eat lots of good healthy foods.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

I should have clarified. I'm no beginner. I've been training for over 2 years.

edit: do you think I should continue doing a split routine or should I go full body for mass? How many sets?

again, thanks
    Last edited by Mission; 10-16-2004 at 11:20 AM.

Either will work. I'm partial to the McCallum routine.

The key is to stick to the basics.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

How does this sound for adding mass?

Bench press- 3x 8-12
    Pullup- 1x failure
    Dip- 1x failure
    Military DB press- 2x 15
    Squat or leg press- 3x 15

give arnold a piggy back ride
    Formerly "Tough Old Man"

Quote Originally Posted by Mission
    How does this sound for adding mass?

Bench press- 3x 8-12
    Pullup- 1x failure
    Dip- 1x failure
    Military DB press- 2x 15
    Squat or leg press- 3x 15
    Do as many sets of pulling as pushing.

Include a row, some sort of posterior chain pull (SLDL), and train your abs. I would drop the dips, add rows, add SLDL.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

If I understand right, these would be the complementary pulling/pushing motions:

bench press <--> bent-over row
    shoulder press <--> pull-up
    dip <--> upright row
    squat <--> sldl/hamstring curl
    situps <--> those upside-down situp things