The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Potatoestotatos

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    Are potatoes alright to eat or are they just empty carbs? I've noticed that a regular sized baked potato with a can of tuna (or for that matter, a small chunk of lean beef) is a good tasting and fairly filling little meal.

I bought a fat bag of brown rice today, I know thats good. I also hear that sweet potatoes and yams are supposedly better for you than white potatoes, but I just plain dont like yams.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    I always eat them. I've never heard anything negative about them. I would like to hear other's opinions on this.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

Shut up n Lift!!!
    well as for the potatos go i eat them (white) and they fill me up pretty good. i think they'll be alright for you they wont kill ur diet, plus my buddy whos a nutrionist said that they are the carbs. But i also eat the yams & sweet potatos damn they are good.
    "No Pain, No Gain"
    "Go Hard or Go Home"

I fink that there is a potato called russet or something like that which isn't so good because the carbs it contains are really simple and you're hungry again within the hour.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

I eat plenty of white potatoes..

As far as I am aware they are a quilaite source of carbs (complex carbs)

From what I have seen, White Potatoes are simple carbs. They're not to bad or high on the GI, but Sweet Potatoes (whole Baked NOT canned in sugar) or Yams are a much better source of carbs. They're more nutrient dense and they are a good complex carb source. Hope this helps some.

"Success is never behind you, it is always, always in front of you."

Baked potato has a GI of 85/100(glucose based index) while yam has 51/100 and sweet potatoe has 54/100.Here's the difference.

I dont know the difference between a sweet potato or a yam, can someone enlighten me?
    Eat Tuna!
    "Ya don't touch my tuna, I don't kill you."- by Tuna Master
    "Part of getting what you want is knowing what you have to give up." - by who knows. ME? Eat Tuna!
    My Journal - My FitDay -

I don't have any documents in front of me, so this is coming from memory ... my apologies if the info is incorrect.

White potatoes are mostly complex carbs.
    White potatoes aren't as calorie dense as yams.
    White potatoes don't contain as much fiber as yams.
    White potatoes don't contain as many vitamins/minerals as yams.
    White potatoes have a higher GI rating than yams.

Other than that, I feel they are a good source of carbs.

PS - yams and sweet potatoes are the same thing, as far as I know.
    Last edited by Anthony; 02-19-2001 at 02:11 PM.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Sweet Potatoes and yams

I've actually heard that these two are noot the same but I'm noot sure .
    Dooes anyone know this exactly?

Ok time to bring the diet expert out of the closet, Miss Abs, is there a difference between yams and sweet potatoes? I so, what is it?
    And Anthony, so what you are saying is that sweet potatoes are overalll better than white potatoes, if they have a higher Gi rating than yams, does that mean that they contain more simple carbs?
    Eat Tuna!
    "Part of getting what you want is knowing what you have to give up." - by who knows. ME? Eat Tuna!
    My Journal - My FitDay -

Yams and sweet potatoes are different, but for all intensive purposes, they are the same.

http://www.sallys-place.com/food/col...iszer/yams.htm

I'm not sure how many simple carbs potatoes contain (if any), but simple carbs are not relevant when talking about the GI (ie, a simple carb food can have a lower GI than a complex carb food).

And yes, yams are definitely better than white potatoes overall, but white potatoes are still a good choice for complex carbs, in my opinion.
    Last edited by Anthony; 02-19-2001 at 02:18 PM.

What defines the GI then? and what good doest it do to know what it does?
    Eat Tuna!
    My Journal - My FitDay -

The glycemic index is a specific ranking of various foods based on their immeadiate effect on blood glucose levels.
    Just because a food has a hight GI rating does not mean you have to fully avoid.Everything in moderation.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    I find white potatoes quite filling, partly because I'm such a small guy and it doesnt take much (good food) to fill me up. Funny...I can down a whole box of lucky charms but a single potato and some broccoli fills me up.
    Remember, I'm not exactly trying to "lose" weight here. I gues I'm going to have to try sweet potatoes...damn I hate them... I think the only difference between sweeties and yams is the price.

Ok then what defines the imediate effect in blood sugar, if its not that simple carbs, have a quicker effect, and complex a slower effect?
    Eat Tuna!
    My Journal - My FitDay -

Franco, it's measured by the Glycemic Index ... it really has nothing to do with simple carbs VS. complex carbs.

REally? im confused, what is the glycemic index then? and what defines it?
    Eat Tuna!
    My Journal - My FitDay -

Frank,read my post
    If you want to know more let me know.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Franco: http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm

That lists all of the foods that have been rated in the Glycemic Index.

Thanks mac, but I also wanted to know what defines.
    Thank you also Anthony, but im still a bit confused.
    Can someone answer me here:
    I always thought that complex carbs digested slower and simple carbs faster... i think im right on this, am I ?
    for the same reason, I thought that simple carbs raised blood sugar faster than simple carbs, is this true?
    It seems as if i was way off, i based everything on the category of carbs that food contained ( i.e. Complex/simple)
    But it looks as if i should base my decisions on the GI index.
    What defines the GI index? does anyone know, or is it just not known? ( iknow they test to see how quickly it raises blood sugar, thats not what i mean, i mean: why does certain food raise blood sugar quicker than others)
    Does sweet potatoes contain more simple carbs than white?
    thanks again
    Last edited by Frankster; 02-20-2001 at 04:28 PM.
    Eat Tuna!
    My Journal - My FitDay -

Frank,there are many factors when it comes to why some foods raise blodd sugar levels faster than others.

Here are just some.........
    Physical form of the food
    Fiber
    Sugar
    Acidity
    Fat

If you are inetrested about this I would suggest going out and buying the book called "The Glucose Revelution"
    It will give you a better understanding of the GI and it;s role.
    Of course you may not agree with everything in the book but it's a start to understanding GI.
    A sweet potatoe has lower rating than a white potatoe.
    Sweet potatoe is aprox 54 while white potatoe is around 85.
    Just because one has a high GI rating does not mean you can't eat it.Take carrots for example they have a high GI rating yet if you look at them they are comprised of water mainly so you would need to eat alot of them to spike your insulin levels.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

HEhe, *frankster eating 52 carrots with his creatine*
    Thanks man, thats what i wanted to know!
    Eat Tuna!
    My Journal - My FitDay -

"I always thought that complex carbs digested slower and simple carbs faster."
    - Not necessarily. One of the fastest carbs to be released in the blood stream is maltodextrin, which is considered a complex carb.

"But it looks as if i should base my decisions on the GI index."
    - The Glycemic Index is more important for diabetics than it is for us. There are many factors that can change how fast the carb is released (ie, how the food is cooked, what temp it is, what you are eating it with, etc). Like mac said, everything in moderation.

"Does sweet potatoes contain more simple carbs than white?"
    - I'm not sure. They are both excellent sources of carbs, imo.

Thanks
    Eat Tuna!
    My Journal - My FitDay -