The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

deadlifted for 2nd time today

.....and today I did not forget my straps

Anyways, started out with 225x10, then 275x5, then finally 315x5. Straps were only used for the 315 pull.

After that, I said what the hell, and upped the weight to 365, but I couldn't even get it off the floor. Not sure if I was just too fatigued or I am just weak.

I do have a few questions about deadlifting.

1) how often do you guys do it?
    2) how quick are the gains?

I can't wait to be doing 405
    Also wanted to add, my weight today was 158, height is 5'8"

Thanks, Michael

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

hammin'
    I incorporate deadlifts into every workout scheme. The gains for deads are probably the fastest, at least for me, of any exercise. Keep pullin...
    They say that when your ships comes in
    The first man takes the sails
    Second takes the afterdeck
    The third: the planks and rails.

Quote Originally Posted by trich daddy
    I incorporate deadlifts into every workout scheme. The gains for deads are probably the fastest, at least for me, of any exercise. Keep pullin...
    holy crap! deadlifting every day ???

I am exhausted just doing deads once a week lol. I bet I will barely be able to walk this weekend lol

Gains are quick and level off just as quick IMO. My first heavy pull was 300 and not long after that, I got up to 405 (wish I could tell you how much longer, but to me it seemed like 6 months). I've only gotten 10 more lbs in about a year and a half (I've had some injuries here and there that slowed my progress). I'm sure I could have gotten more had I specifically trained for it (and not gotten injured). Just be sure you take it slowly as it is a very intense lift (as you have figured out). Having strong hams, glutes and lower back will help a tremendous amount.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Banned
    i did a 175x10 LOL my lower back almost **** on that one!!!

how the hell can u just start and do that much thats nuts!

Once a week is all you need.....

Quote Originally Posted by BlingMeter
    i did a 175x10 LOL my lower back almost **** on that one!!!

how the hell can u just start and do that much thats nuts!
    well I did just start on DLing, but I have been lifting for about 7 months now. I would assume what I do from week to week has definitely improved my initial deadlift.

What's soo crapy though is the disparity between my squat and deadlift. Squats I can only do 225 at most (with good form)

Quote Originally Posted by GMCtrk
    well I did just start on DLing, but I have been lifting for about 7 months now. I would assume what I do from week to week has definitely improved my initial deadlift.

What's soo crapy though is the disparity between my squat and deadlift. Squats I can only do 225 at most (with good form)

optimally you should be able to pull more then you squat. Those your frame negotiates a lot. Those with longer arms in reference to their lower bodies are going to have a much easier time pulling because of the shortened rom in locking out. Now that same person may not be a great bencher because those long arms are not optimal. The same could be said vice versa.
    Beer helped slow down my metabolism.... -ozzyman

I dunno about you all but near the last couple reps on the deadlifts I feel like a beast

Once or twice a week is enough IMO

Quote Originally Posted by CraigVA286
    I dunno about you all but near the last couple reps on the deadlifts I feel like a beast

Once or twice a week is enough IMO

i do too, until i notice the pathetic weight im using

Banned
    hmmm iv been lifting for 2 years heavy and i suck.. coulda be the 4-5month lower back injury... tuttut

hmmm iv been lifting for 2 years heavy and i suck.. coulda be the 4-5month lower back injury... tuttut
    you say in your sig, you deadlift 175x10. Why don't you put more weight on? You should be able to get 315 up at least once? your at 200lbs too God, if I had the size some of you have....

Banned
    175x10 is almost to much!

Did you miss the lower back injury part? I'd assume he doesn't go heavy because of it. I don't deadlift anymore so I don't have to use a wheelchair.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenmoses
    Did you miss the lower back injury part? I'd assume he doesn't go heavy because of it. I don't deadlift anymore so I don't have to use a wheelchair.

dude, everybody thats anybody uses a wheel chair. Come on

Banned
    well it doesnt hurt when i lift. heres the story

my back was fine and i remember deadllifting around 250lbs back in thespring time... i did that once or twice. then i went over to a friends house and slept over every weekend. then one day i woke up saturday and his house and my lower back KILLED me i could barley bend over. went away. then next weekend at his house it happened again, and i have been stuck with it ever since. i do streches with it and am now working out the lower back to make it stronger. usually when i would wake up or during the day i couldnt bend over more than 8" without it hurting like a HUGE mofo. i couldnt even put my pants on, i had to sit down and put my put on my knee to put it on. now in the mornings i can bend over, but not 100% prob 90% cause it gets stiff after i sit or lay around for a while. but ihave no problem bending over now after sittin for a while and just a slight hesitation when i wake up. i kinda wanna beleive that they are to tight, but i cant explain the bed issue causing this...

so now im on the quest to never neglect lower back and am doing deadlifts and squats now.

4-5months of pain and im slowly gettin it under control.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    well it doesnt hurt when i lift. heres the story

my back was fine and i remember deadllifting around 250lbs back in thespring time... i did that once or twice. then i went over to a friends house and slept over every weekend. then one day i woke up saturday and his house and my lower back KILLED me i could barley bend over. went away. then next weekend at his house it happened again, and i have been stuck with it ever since. i do streches with it and am now working out the lower back to make it stronger. usually when i would wake up or during the day i couldnt bend over more than 8" without it hurting like a HUGE mofo. i couldnt even put my pants on, i had to sit down and put my put on my knee to put it on. now in the mornings i can bend over, but not 100% prob 90% cause it gets stiff after i sit or lay around for a while. but ihave no problem bending over now after sittin for a while and just a slight hesitation when i wake up. i kinda wanna beleive that they are to tight, but i cant explain the bed issue causing this...

so now im on the quest to never neglect lower back and am doing deadlifts and squats now.

4-5months of pain and im slowly gettin it under control.
    Did you see a doctor? If not do it now. Lower back injuries are nothing to ignore.

Are you saying you took a rest period and then it started, or do you think you injured it doing deadlifts?

Banned
    i never really did do deadlifts i did it at the beginning of the year couple times and stopped.. then months later it happened. i didnt injure it at all from lifting. started hurting after sleeping in my friends bed for the weekend.

i aint got no money to waste to see on no doctor. iv got a car to get and insurance to pay and find another job to find after my seasonal ends. plus i dont need no doctor giving me somethinglike advil and charging me 150$

it seems to be getting better slowly so i think ill leave it at that, but i dunno. i hate waking up every morning knowing its there
    Last edited by BlingMeter; 10-22-2004 at 09:58 PM.

i never really did do deadlifts i did it at the beginning of the year couple times and stopped.. then months later it happened. i didnt injure it at all from lifting. started hurting after sleeping in my friends bed for the weekend.

i aint got no money to waste to see on no doctor. iv got a car to get and insurance to pay and find another job to find after my seasonal ends. plus i dont need no doctor giving me somethinglike advil and charging me 150$

it seems to be getting better slowly so i think ill leave it at that, but i dunno. i hate waking up every morning knowing its there
    what we are trying to say is that having a chronic lower back pain is NOT good, not normal, and DEFINITELY not something to ignore. But hey, its your back, not mine

Banned
    sucks for me! when i get a job that has benefits ill have it looked at until then ill be fighting the wheel chair plague!

I agree with Max-Mex. Gains will come quickly at first and you will plateau just as quickly. You have to understand this so that you won't get too high when you are adding plates every week or too low when you are struggling to make last week's number of reps. DLing once a week is enough.
    Man, if he do but live within the light of high endeavors, daily spreads abroad his being armed with strength that cannot fail.

--Wordsworth