The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Smith machine bench 1 rep max VS Barbell bench max

This question is only for guys who know what their flat bench press 1 rep max is on a smith machine and also on a regular barbell bench press.

For ppl who have not actually attempted benchpress 1 rep maxes on both smith and barbell benches and who simply want to badmouth smith machines, please refrain from posting and giving me estimates. I am fully aware that smith machines are not as effective as free weights and don't need a lecture on the topic.

So for those of you who have actually tried it, what is your bench 1 rep max on a smith machine and what is it on a regular barbell?

thanks
    Last edited by bc2004; 10-22-2004 at 11:49 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

what is this for?
    Milk is the best Supplement

Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.

It will vary widely, so you really can't use one to predict the other.

Just get stronger. If you want to know what you bench, get under the bar and do it.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

I wannabebig!
    :withstupi

there is no way to compare... what's with all these conversion type threads?? haha

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    On Smith I was doing 8x145
    I went to a BB Bench, and did 7x135

Keep in mind I was using only Smith for chest for about 3 months before that first BB Bench session, so my stabilizer's were probably not used to the weight.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by AlterSh0ck; 10-23-2004 at 09:23 AM.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

I find i can bench 20lbs more on the smith at my gym.
    Stats at 1st March - 7th June

Weight: 171 - 163
    Bodyfat: 15.5% - 10%

Under Construction
    You do realize that the weight of the bar varies from machine to machine? You should also be aware that some machines are counter balanced. So unless people can post the bar weight on their responses then meaningful comparisons are useless.
    Just one guy's opinion.

Banned
    bb max 300x1
    smith max "330x1"

i agree with everyone else. this post makes no sense.

also like comparind the sittin up bench press vs flat
    where as the sittin machine bench i can do the max 255x12

smith is like a machine, useless weight. our smith machine has a 45lb bar on it but with the all the **** on it its lucky to weigh 10lbs real weight after all the pullies and counterweights take there place.
    Last edited by BlingMeter; 10-23-2004 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bc2004 View Post
    This question is only for guys who know what their flat bench press 1 rep max is on a smith machine and also on a regular barbell bench press.

For ppl who have not actually attempted benchpress 1 rep maxes on both smith and barbell benches and who simply want to badmouth smith machines, please refrain from posting and giving me estimates. I am fully aware that smith machines are not as effective as free weights and don't need a lecture on the topic.

So for those of you who have actually tried it, what is your bench 1 rep max on a smith machine and what is it on a regular barbell?

thanks

depends greatly..i used to use the smith thinking it was being a smart person training alone..boy was I wrong for a few reasons. I was able to hit 425 on teh smith on the bench press and only put up 370 when i came off it. That's a big difference but once I got off it and started using the cage for safety instead.. those numbers caught up FAST!

the smith sucks for a few reasons..

1) it's a fixed plane of movement..your body doesn't work on a fixed plane of movement so you can't expect any great benefit from it

2) people believe it's great for safety..that's what a cage is for

3) it does'nt allow your body to maximize it's own natural "path" the bar would normally follow to allow you to bench with proper form

4) leads to more injuries than NOT using it does

5) DON'T USE THE SMITH!

do yourself a favor... if for some reason you like training on the smith for this or that reason, try benchign in a cage. You can adjust it to your needs and use the bars for safety if you bomb an attempt. You'll notice VERY quickly a change in your physique AND your numbers once you ween yourself off it. I'll stake my reputation on that.
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by thewicked View Post
    depends greatly..i used to use the smith thinking it was being a smart person training alone..boy was I wrong for a few reasons. I was able to hit 425 on teh smith on the bench press and only put up 370 when i came off it. That's a big difference but once I got off it and started using the cage for safety instead.. those numbers caught up FAST!

the smith sucks for a few reasons..

1) it's a fixed plane of movement..your body doesn't work on a fixed plane of movement so you can't expect any great benefit from it

2) people believe it's great for safety..that's what a cage is for

3) it does'nt allow your body to maximize it's own natural "path" the bar would normally follow to allow you to bench with proper form

4) leads to more injuries than NOT using it does

5) DON'T USE THE SMITH!

do yourself a favor... if for some reason you like training on the smith for this or that reason, try benchign in a cage. You can adjust it to your needs and use the bars for safety if you bomb an attempt. You'll notice VERY quickly a change in your physique AND your numbers once you ween yourself off it. I'll stake my reputation on that.

This thread is more than 3 years old...I doubt the OP is still here.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 04-11-2008 at 05:41 PM.

i saw it down at the bottom of the "replied threads" section HAHA

oops!

don't hate me for being e-******ed.
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

Only happy when bulking radioheadhead's Avatar
    BIG difference for me. The Smith lets me add like 30 lbs. I try to just do flat bench now.
    Height: 6' weight:197
    BF%: ~12%?

bench: 280 x 1
    squat: 370 x 1
    dead: 360 x 1

goal: 225 @ < 10% bodyfat

wow...thread resurrected...i like how the smith was not being advocated almost 4 years ago on this board, yet people still ask about it now

Reach down between your legs and find a pair of balls. That's what it takes to lift big weights. Genetics is the weak man's excuse for why he sucks at life. Don't be that guy - RhodeHouse

Any man under 200lbs is a woman - RhodeHouse

what do you mean by benching in a cage? sry, but it caught my interest since u said your bench numbers will jump

Do a google search on power cages or power racks. You can stick a flat bench one and do your presses. If you totally flop an attempt instead of the bar coming down on your chest/abdomen/face its caught by the safety bars on the sides. The confidence knowing you can practice presses a little heavier than you can do without dying can lead to better results. Also read up on training to failure.

ok thanks.

Wannabebig Member
    Last night I tried it out at dicks. My 2 rep bench max is 200. Last night I did 245 by three on their smith machine.
    Ht: 5' 8" Wt: 195 lbs

Personal Bests
    Squat - 350x1
    Bench Press - 225x1
    Deadlift - 410x1
    Press - 135x6
    Floor Press - 225x2
    Rack Pulls - 500x1
    Incline Press - 175x3