Thread: Ok this isnt working... bulking suggestions

Ok this isnt working... bulking suggestions

Hey, I haven't been on here for a while, I started college and moved into my own place recently and finally got my internet connection.

Anyways, since I moved out and was in complete charge of what I buy and eat I figured to start eating only healthy stuff. I've stuck to it pretty good for the last 2 months, I dont eat anything with refined sugar except for whatever is in the weight gain powder I use. I gave up eating all that packaged stuff (pastas, microwavable things, etc). Mostly a diet of chicken, vegetables, fruit, bread, milk and eggs.

Unfortunatly its not working for me at all. I've lost 5 much needed pounds in the last month and my intensity at the gym has gone down because I'm getting no where near enough food.

I was eating 4000+ cals a day, now I am down to 2500 or so, on a good day. I'd love to eat more, but I can't, it's physically impossible for me to eat anymore volume. Plus the time it takes to make all these meals is barely fitting into my busy school schedule.

What I need to know, is how bad is it for a small kid like myself (5'7" 135lbs) to be eating anything in site? I'm fine without the sugary stuff, I thinking foods like bacon, hashbrowns, microwavable pastas, grilled cheese sandwhiches, processed meats, pizza, hamburgers, etc (no fast food, ever) Then drinking 2 1000 calorie drinks a day.

What are the effects of eating like this, will it be hard on my body? I'm one of those lucky people who never gets fat so that isn't an issue here. Sorry for the big rambling post.

How can it be physically impossible to not eat anymore volume? I would eat and eat all day if fat gain was no issue. If you are eating 6 meals of equal cals, 20 percent-30 percent fat, and under 50g of fiber, there is no reason you cannot eat more than 2500 cal. If you cannot eat anymore, you are telling you're body that you have failed the most rudimentary task on Earth. What if you were captured, and forced to eat 8000 cal a day, would you die, or suck it up, and be a man? Come on 2500 is paltry considered to what is out there.

Quote Originally Posted by TOBART
    How bad is it to eat foods like bacon, hashbrowns, microwavable pastas, grilled cheese sandwhiches, processed meats, pizza, hamburgers, etc (no fast food, ever)
    its not ideal
    everything in moderation
    cholesterol might sneak up and bite you in the ass if you eat a lot of junk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RBC13
    How can it be physically impossible to not eat anymore volume? I would eat and eat all day if fat gain was no issue. If you are eating 6 meals of equal cals, 20 percent-30 percent fat, and under 50g of fiber, there is no reason you cannot eat more than 2500 cal. If you cannot eat anymore, you are telling you're body that you have failed the most rudimentary task on Earth. What if you were captured, and forced to eat 8000 cal a day, would you die, or suck it up, and be a man? Come on 2500 is paltry considered to what is out there.
    That's not a very logical argument. The volume of a meal can and does lead to satiety in many cases.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TOBART
    I gave up eating all that packaged stuff (pastas, microwavable things, etc). Mostly a diet of chicken, vegetables, fruit, bread, milk and eggs.
    That's pretty much your problem right there. You've substituted a lot of calorie dense foods for volumous but low calorie foods like fruits and vegetables. If you want to put calories back into your diet, the easiest thing to do is start cutting out both fruit and vegetables. Bodybuilding isn't exactly about being the healthiest person alive so you have to shake any notion of food pyramids and daily servings of fruit/vegetables. Instead of filling up on vegetables substitute in pasta with your chicken. You can buy those "Sidekick" packages and those require minimal time and effort to make. Plus you can easily make up 2+ packages and put them in the fridge for later meals or bring them with you to class along with chicken/beef whatever.Also start eating rice, yams, potatos, etc. If you're not prone to gaining fat you should be eating more carbs not eliminating them. Stuff like hamburger helper, or even making your own version requires so little effort and is easy to make in bulk.

There are a few things you can do to add up some calories.
    -Ice cream in your protein shakes one or two times a day
    -You can drink more than you can eat. I can make a couple shakes that add up to the caloric content you posted dude! As I stated before, IT IS EASIER TO DRINK calories than to eat them. Here's a large calorie shake you can make.
    1) Two scoops whey protein
    2) One Tablespoon Peanut butter
    3) 1 Tablespoon canola oil
    4) 1/2 cup ice cream
    5) 1 sliced banana
    6) 1 tablespoon flax seed oil
    7) 16 ounces skim milk

-Eat calorie dense foods. If you are attempting to gain weight you need to eat more, period. After a while you will be able to tolerate larger quantities of food.
    -Protein will fill you up more than carbs. Delay the protein shakes until after your meals. Snack on fruits throughout the day. I eat about 6-7 pieces of fruit daily, which adds a good amount of calories.
    -Water over calorie drinks. Milk last, if you are going to drink milk. Milk will fill you up before you even start to eat your meal.

You're missing some bulnking staples:

Peanut butter
    Cottage Cheese
    Yes, ICE CREAM
    Oils (olive, flax)
    Beef
    Beef
    Peanut Butter

Take in foods which have a high caloric density. You shouldn't have any problem eating 3,000 calories a day, which should be sufficient to gain weight. Protein shakes with milk are also helpful.

Good luck. I just read NatBuilder's reply, and I agree with everything that he said. I always found it hard to constantly make shakes, though, which is why I eat a lot of PB and cottage cheese. Remember: calorie dense foods.

Thanks for the help guys.

I've been drinking 2 liters of milk every day, that alone gives me over 1000 cals and and 70 g of protien. If I am not drinking milk, I am drinking water or a weight gainer shake, absolutly nothing else.

Peanut butter causes me to die so thats out of the question. For some reason pasta fills me up very quickly, its embarassing.

I decided today that I am going to stop being so healthy and concentrate on bulking the only way I know works. I'll still stay somewhat healthy (butter instead of margerine, fruits instead of eating something for dessert, olive oil instead of canola oil, whole wheat bread instead of white,etc)

Feel free to list some other foods which are high in calories, easy to prepare and eat.