The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

When Doctors Prefer Big Macs

From today's New York Times...

Burgers for the Health Professional
    By MARC SANTORA

Published: October 26, 2004

Under the smiling clown-face of Ronald McDonald, a woman and her 5-year-old daughter had spread before them a burger, Chicken McNuggets and fries. Nearby, a young couple were enjoying two Quarter Pounders with cheese. A neurologist was downing some hot cakes.

Just a few of the billions served, as the company proudly proclaims beneath its golden arches.

What made the scene unusual was where these arches were located - at Elmhurst Hospital Center in Queens, one of the city's busiest places of healing.

As obesity and its consequences are increasingly taxing the health care system, the fact that a fast food place serves as a hospital's cafeteria strikes some as jarring. But Elmhurst Hospital is not alone. There are two other city-run hospitals with fast food outlets, Jacobi Medical Center and Coney Island Hospital. And in public and private hospitals across the country, fast food is not an uncommon sight, even at some of nation's premier institutions, like the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.

It's hard to find a doctor who says that a steady diet of burgers and fries is healthy. But hospitals with fast food outlets say that these franchises were a good option - in some cases the only one - for their food services.

Saint Barnabas Medical Center in Livingston, N.J., opened its doors to McDonald's a decade ago. Robin Lally, a spokeswoman for Saint Barnabas, said the hospital still has a McDonald's, as well as another cafeteria offering a wider variety of healthier food selections. McDonald's filled a need for round-the-clock meals, she said.

While financial considerations were part of the equation (though hospitals would not say how much they earned from franchise contracts), Miriam Pappo, a registered dietitian and the clinical nutrition manager at Montefiore Medical Center in the Bronx, said a 10-year-old study in a New Jersey hospital found that children in pediatric units who ate a McDonald's meal once a week ate better the rest of the time than children who did not eat at McDonald's.

"When you are scared in the hospital you want something that brings back fun memories," she said. "This is where this started."

Ken Barun, a senior vice president of McDonald's, cited the company's experience at Texas Children's Hospital in Houston, where McDonald's has had a restaurant for 17 years.

"The doctors liked McDonald's because they could get something fast, and they said, 'Our sick kids will eat this food,' " Mr. Barun said. "Happy Meals provide kids with the nutrients they need," he said. "From the emotional side, it really does help them get better."

Menus at McDonald's include healthy items like salads, Mr. Barun says, and the company is always willing to make adjustments at hospitals, like offering soup on the side instead of fries. He also said the company gives generously to charities that benefit hospitals and, through the Ronald McDonald House program, provides 6,000 beds around the world every night for families with members staying in hospitals.

Kate McGrath, spokeswoman for the New York City Health and Hospital Corporation, which oversees Elmhurst, said that McDonald's was one of the few companies that bid for the right to run food service at the hospital, and that McDonald's has a "Made for You" option that enables customers to reduce the calories, fat or sodium of menu items. For example, omitting the mayonnaise on the Chicken McGrill sandwich eliminates 100 calories and reduces the fat content to 6 grams.

Nonetheless, Ms. McGrath said, when the McDonald's contract at Elmhurst is up in 2007, it will not be renewed. (She said that Jacobi and Coney Island hospitals, which are also run by the Health and Hospital Corporation, have not yet decided what they will do when their McDonald's contracts expire.)

Dietary concerns have changed in the years since fast food restaurants first appeared in hospitals in the metropolitan area.

From movies like "Super Size Me" to books like "Fast Food Nation" to a flood of studies showing the impact of obesity on countless things, from sperm counts to the cost of health care, the questions and issues surrounding fat are unavoidable.

The obesity rate among adults in New York State doubled between 1990 and 2002, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, whose data showed that about 57 percent of New Yorkers are overweight or obese.

As obesity has reached epidemic proportions in recent years, Ms. Pappo of Montefiore said, hospitals have begun to rethink the food they serve. Montefiore decided years ago to stay away from fast food establishments in favor of providing its own healthier choices.

"It's probably very similar to how schools would get revenue from Coca-Cola and they are now saying we are going to have to do without this because we have to send a good message," Ms. Pappo said.

For its part, McDonald's consistently says that its food is not unhealthy and that a host of other factors contribute to the widening of the American waistline - not the least of which is a lack of exercise.

"Fast food is not necessarily bad food," said Dr. Cathy Kapica, the global director of nutrition for McDonald's.

McDonald's restaurants make up only 2 percent of all the eating establishments in the United States, she said, so other dietary choices must be fueling America's weight problem. Most of the people grabbing a bite at the Elmhurst McDonald's said they thought the food they were eating was not very healthy.

"I know it is not good, but I like it," said Sandra Campbell, 26. She came to the hospital with her mother, who had an appointment. Ms. Campbell said she eats fast food nearly every day.

"I have my baby, and I work five days a week, and I have no money to make food," she said. "After I had the baby, I got fat. This doesn't help at all."

Bienviendo Medreno, 38, a social worker at the hospital, sat with his aunt and cousin as they ate. He abstained, saying he was not happy that McDonald's was the only food available where he works.

"I'm very against it, to be honest with you," he said.

A neurologist, who was sitting nearby disagreed.

"I am a surgeon, and the food we have here is the food I like," he said, while acknowledging that obesity is a significant health problem.

"It's not the fault of McDonald's,'' he said. "It's the fault of the people eating too much."

When asked his name, however, he would not give it, saying it would be embarrassing to be the brain surgeon in favor of fast food.
    Last edited by Focused70; 10-26-2004 at 03:05 PM.
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I liked that neuro's quote. Smart man.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

3:16
    ditto to belial.

over eating lazy people cause obesity and not mccadonalds.

and the women who sya she has not money to make food. Rubbish. she is just to lazy to make her food. she can buy a apple and some tinned tuna. but she likes the taste of maccdonalds.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Buying and making food is cheaper than mcdonalds... So the woman isn't full of ****, she's just an idiot.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

i agree.....the no money to make food excuse is lame and a very big lie.

if one were to buy real fruits and vegetables, real meats and real grains, their average food cost would be far cheaper than eating out every day OR buying processed pre-packaged foods.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Hahah so true.
    I thought this was going to be about how fast-food chains keep creating problems, so doctors and the like will never be out of business.

BTW I just saw Supersize Me (or This? can't remember) Sat, and it touched on some of the psychological aspects of it. Damn comfort food.

I'd prefer Big Mac's too if they'd put more freakin' meat in them.
    "you are like my yoda." - chops

"you are not like yoda at all!" - chops

"shh...I'm only gay for pay" - ECTX

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal

I agree Shane, that's why Wendy's triple cheese is my favourite along with the super size fries.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

chick fil a people, chick fil a
    Beer helped slow down my metabolism.... -ozzyman

Golden Chick > Chick fil a

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenmoses
    Golden Chick > Chick fil a
    Popeyes>Golden Chick

popeyes is good too
    Beer helped slow down my metabolism.... -ozzyman

i'd like to supersize my hot friends breasts.
    Milk is the best Supplement

Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.

Angus Whopper!
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Quote Originally Posted by RussianRocket
    i'd like to supersize my hot friends breasts.

ROFL!!!!!

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SalahG
    Popeyes>Golden Chick
    Church's > Popeye's
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Quote Originally Posted by Gyno Rhino
    Church's > Popeye's
    Poop>Pee

Quote Originally Posted by Gyno Rhino
    Church's > Popeye's
    Damn, ain't that the truth. There used to be a bunch of them up here but many of them closed way back in the early '90s.
    The half-million citizens of the District of Columbia, like citizens of the fifty states, bear all of the obligations of American citizenship: they are required to obey the laws passed by Congress; they pay federal taxes; they serve in the military; and they fight and die in our wars. Yet they lack the most basic right that should accompany American citizenship—the right to full voting representation in Congress. This makes the United States the only nation in the world with a representative, democratic constitution that denies citizens of its capital representation in the national legislature. In fact, no fewer than 183 nations provide their citizens the type of representation citizens of Washington, DC are denied.