The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: acid reflux?

acid reflux?

For the past few days I have been burping a lot after I eat. I didn't think much of it at first, blaming it on something I ate. But it's been pretty persistent and happens everytime I eat or drink something, even if it's only water. It's quite embarassing and it doesn't have a very positive affect on my breath either. My mom said something about acid reflux, but I don't have any heartburn or other common symptoms. Any ideas?
    Last edited by LightningandIce; 10-27-2004 at 03:29 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LightningandIce
    For the past few days I have been burping a lot after I eat. I didn't think much of it at first, blaming it on something I ate. But it's been pretty persistent and happens everytime I eat or drink something, even if it's only water. It's quite embarassing and it doesn't have a very positive affect on my breath either. My mom said something about acid reflux, but I don't have any heartburn or other common symptoms. Any ideas?

It's possible. But, if that's your only symptom, I wouldn't be terribly concerned. I think swallowing to fast can cause belching. If it's troublesome, see your dr.

There's a relative of acid reflux called lpr or silent reflux. I'm not sure if belching is a symptom. But, some of the symptoms are sore throat, dry cough, hoarseness and continual clear of the throat.
    Last edited by Drake10; 10-27-2004 at 05:13 PM.

re...

I have the same problem.
    When I eat dry foods like rice, chicken breast, potatoes, etc... without chewing them to a pulp, I can feel them get stuck in my esophagas. This leads to a sharp pain in my chest which I do not think is what they consider heartburn.
    After the food gets stuck in my chest for a while, I feel the urge to burp but can't because the pasage is blocked. So, my food is trying to go down while the gas is trying to go up which really hurts =(.
    I just have to wait it out or try to vomit it up, or if u get really desperate you can swallow a couple gulps of a drink really fast but that hurts badly as well.
    I went to the doctor for this and they said it was acid reflux and gave me "Nexium". I don't take it because I don't "choke" often and I don't think it helped much.
    I think the real problem is that I just have a small esophogas and just need to chew my dry foods better, but then there always is that burping sensation, so who knows.
    Weight: 150 lbs.
    Height: 5'7"
    Metabolism: Too Fast!
    Hobbies: Gym.
    Started working out at gym: 8/1/04

the symptoms of acid reflux are: heartburn, regurgitation, and nausea

Quote Originally Posted by geoffgarcia
    the symptoms of acid reflux are: heartburn, regurgitation, and nausea
    Those are the most common, but there are a few others:

Belching
    Difficulty or pain when swallowing
    Waterbrash (sudden excess of saliva)
    Dysphagia (the sensation of food sticking in the esophagus)
    Chronic sore throat
    Laryngitis
    Inflammation of the gums
    Erosion of the enamel of the teeth
    Chronic irritation in the throat
    Hoarseness in the morning
    A sour taste
    Bad breath
    I know you're half-crazy, but I wish you'd go all the way.

"Razorcut, as usual, is 100% correct." --- ectx

"It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --- Charles Darwin

(-.-)
    Heartburn/Acid Reflux will feel like a burning sensation just below your sternum. Common causes from my experience deal with carrying too much weight around the stomach area, and overall a poor diet.

It sounds more like you have indigestion than heartburn honestly. Best I advice I can give you is just eat a bit slower or in moderation.

For those who do have heartburn I highly recommend the Pepcid Complete chewable tabs out there now. Its nearly instant heartburn relief and it keeps it away for the majority of the day. Stay away from more then 2 in a 24 hour period as they tend to do more damage than good when you take more than that.

When I'm bulking, sometimes I can't avoid it. I usually take a couple of Gaviscon's to keep the food down; it forms a barrier between your stomach and esophagus, so nothing comes up.

Wannabebig Member
    I don't think that what you are experiencing is acid reflux, more of a case of gas forming in your stomach.

<rant>
    I have yet to figure out what my problem is though. Three times now, months apart, I will have an extreme attack of pain in my stomach (upper abdominal region) that feels like the depths of hell are raging in my stomach. The first time it happened, I did vomit (ooooh, a pretty red colour), then the next day, I was brushing my teeth, and I almost did again, but nothing came of it except some pink saliva. The doctor said to get some Gaviscon. I find that every time I have an attack, the Gaviscon quiets it down within seconds (not after I've given my mother a heart attack because I'm in denial every time it happens).
    </rant>

So, needless to say, based on my experience, I don't think that you have acid reflux.