Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Alternatives to Dips and Chin-ups?

  1. #1
    Wannabebig Member Patriot54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    48

    Alternatives to Dips and Chin-ups?

    What's up guys - first off, I have to say this website has been a great source of info for me and a good inspiration. I'm still in the beginning stages of lifting, so I'll post some before/after pics and some more detailed info about myself when I make some more progress.

    Anyway, on to my question:
    I'm going to start doing the first lifting routine from this site. The only problem is my work hours don't leave time to go to a gym. I work out out at home and I have dumbells and a good bench with a pulley, butterfly weights, leg weights, etc.

    The only exercises from that routine I can't do at home are dips and chin-ups. Is there anything I can do in place of those sets to work similar muscles using the equipment I have?

  2. #2
    permanently bulking Titanium_Jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    1,777
    I run into this same thing myself. I made a ghetto ass chinup bar by throwing a luggage rack over a beam on my back patio that holds my roof up. If you can't create a chinup bar, the only thing I can think of is pullovers. I'm about to start putting these in my workout anyway.

    The dips one is easy. On your bench day, after your chest workout (bp, db bp, flyes, etc. whatever your chest routine is) do skull crushers, then sitting db triceps extensions.
    "I would have had sex with a pornstar, slapped a bitch and stole someone's dog." - deeder
    "Ever heard the term "screwing like rabbits? There's a reason it came about, and it has nothing to do with putting up drywall." - mrelwooddowd
    "If you are looking for a workout that will make you sore, you need to reassess your priorities, and perhaps look for an S&M club in your area." - Paul Stagg
    "I do encourage that people laugh at the fact I've put ass creme on my face." - Rock Steady
    "I look like a condom full of walnuts." - Risk10k
    "...the mothers would hang out of the window to get a piece of my little peanut ass and my bronzelike skin." - Rock

  3. #3
    Wannabe a Beast BigNic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    3,011
    db bench, and dblbb rows, cable rows ect.
    Beer helped slow down my metabolism.... -ozzyman

  4. #4
    Wannabebig Member Patriot54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    48
    Thanks for the info and the quick responses. By the way, what are skull crushers? Also, what does the l.b.b. part stand for in dblbb?

    Titanium Jim - I can't think of any way to improvise a chin-up bar. I've seen those bars you can attach to door frames but they don't seem too stable to me. Also, my door frames are too low, plus the fact that I weigh about 235 and I don't want to bring down the house. But I will try out the tricep extensions, db bench and rows.

    Thanks to both of you for the advice
    Last edited by Patriot54; 10-30-2004 at 07:17 PM.

  5. #5
    Wannabe a Beast BigNic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    3,011
    i mean db/bb
    Beer helped slow down my metabolism.... -ozzyman

  6. #6
    Wannabebig Member Patriot54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by BigNic
    i mean db/bb
    gotcha, thanks - now I just need to know what a skull-crusher is. I tried looking it up but I can't find a description of it.

  7. #7
    Wannabe a Beast BigNic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    3,011
    a lying bb extention. you lay down then hold the bar up. Then bend it back to your head, or behind your head, then extend it again. Idk, its hard for me to explain
    Beer helped slow down my metabolism.... -ozzyman

  8. #8
    permanently bulking Titanium_Jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    1,777
    Quote Originally Posted by BigNic
    a lying bb extention. you lay down then hold the bar up. Then bend it back to your head, or behind your head, then extend it again.
    Yep. Called a skull crusher because you lay on your back, hold the bb completely extended, and bring it slowly down towards your head (careful not to crush the skull), then forcefully extend again.
    "I would have had sex with a pornstar, slapped a bitch and stole someone's dog." - deeder
    "Ever heard the term "screwing like rabbits? There's a reason it came about, and it has nothing to do with putting up drywall." - mrelwooddowd
    "If you are looking for a workout that will make you sore, you need to reassess your priorities, and perhaps look for an S&M club in your area." - Paul Stagg
    "I do encourage that people laugh at the fact I've put ass creme on my face." - Rock Steady
    "I look like a condom full of walnuts." - Risk10k
    "...the mothers would hang out of the window to get a piece of my little peanut ass and my bronzelike skin." - Rock

  9. #9
    Wannabe a Beast BigNic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    3,011
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium_Jim
    Yep. Called a skull crusher because you lay on your back, hold the bb completely extended, and bring it slowly down towards your head (careful not to crush the skull), then forcefully extend again.

    when i was first in hs, i saw a kid break his nose doing skulls.
    Beer helped slow down my metabolism.... -ozzyman

  10. #10
    Strength & Protection Kiaran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    3,963
    This is a "skull crusher": http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...ingTriExt.html

    Also, why can't you do dips between two objects pulled together? Two chairs, couches, tables, trash cans? Also, I would find a tree branch and some gloves to do my pullups on. If you can't find this or don't want to go outside, get some sort of bar that you could hang from a beam in your ceiling (Home Depot: 1" pipe, steel chain, and a punching bag hook or two would do). I know this would hold becuase I had a 280 lb roomate who could hang from my old punching bag (just to test the strength of the beam).
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

    The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

  11. #11
    Wannabebig Member Patriot54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    48
    Thanks again for the info - Today will be Day 1 of the new routine, so hopefully I'll see a difference in a few weeks.



    edited: by the way, here is the alternative chest and back routine I thought of (don't laugh - I'm starting with lighter weights). Once I set up a way to improvise chinups/dips at home, I'll go back to the original routine

    Chest:
    Flat BB bench: 2 sets/10 reps/110
    incline db press: 2/10/50 each side
    "skullcrushers": 2/8/110

    Back:
    prone db rows: 2/10/50
    deadlift: 2/8/110
    bb rows: 2/10/?? lbs
    db shrugs: 2/10/50

    I have a set of those bungee cord cables that you can attach to a door, so I might add some cable rows at the end to stretch out with. I'll see how I feel after doing the routine for a while.

    Does that sound like a good workout for a beginner? Any suggestions that I can change or add to that routine?
    Last edited by Patriot54; 10-31-2004 at 04:45 AM.

  12. #12
    I wannabebig!
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    in my own world
    Posts
    1,816
    you could find dip/chin stations pretty cheap..

  13. #13
    Wannabebig Member Patriot54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by ryuage
    you could find dip/chin stations pretty cheap..
    I will be looking for some soon. Something like that would be a great addition to my equipment because of my weight - it would definitely be the hardest part of my workout.

  14. #14
    Wannabebig Member Patriot54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    48
    OK, I'm done but I underestimated that routine, so I had to take it easy. Here's what I actually got done compared to my goal - it took me about a half hour.
    Chest:
    Flat BB bench: 2 sets/10 reps/110
    "skullcrushers": 2/8/110 (I did 6 reps for each set instead of 8 - d@mn, that's a tough exercise)
    incline db press: 2/10/50 each side (8 instead of 10)

    Back:
    prone db rows: 2/10/50
    deadlift: 2/8/110 (100 lbs instead of 110, I finished this one but my back was killing me when I was done)
    bb rows: 2/10/?? lbs (this was at the end of the workout and I definitely underestimated it - I did 100 lbs/6 reps/2 sets but I couldn't finish the second set)
    db shrugs: 2/10/50

    I got too cocky by trying 10 reps each - that is a lesson I won't forget for a while (ouch). But at least I know what to expect now. I love chest, arm and shoulder exercises but my back and legs are weaker so I will do a little less weight on the deadlift and rows next week.

    Also, I have one more question: Do you guys usually stretch your workout for the full hour or do it all as quick as you can?

  15. #15
    Wannabebig New Member HahnB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    0
    Spend $99 and get a dip/chin up station.

  16. #16
    Loves gravy mattburns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,174
    my chin bar was the equivalant of $10 and fits in a doorway, do you have a doorway you could use?

  17. #17
    permanently bulking Titanium_Jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    1,777
    A workout shouldn't be longer than 45 minutes, but you might want to split your back and chest workouts to different days if possible. Both are big muscle groups. And don't worry about not being able to hit 10 reps. That's actually a good thing. I'm training under the guidelines of Max-OT (maximum overload training) and as soon as I can hit 6 reps without assistance I up the weights and work till I get up to 6 reps again. The ideal overloading set is 4-6 reps. And since skullcrushers are a triceps exercise you should do those after all your chest work is done. Definitely try to get a chinup station. Even if you can't do one, it's good to try until you can get one, then work on 2, and bring it up slowly. It's more than worth it.
    "I would have had sex with a pornstar, slapped a bitch and stole someone's dog." - deeder
    "Ever heard the term "screwing like rabbits? There's a reason it came about, and it has nothing to do with putting up drywall." - mrelwooddowd
    "If you are looking for a workout that will make you sore, you need to reassess your priorities, and perhaps look for an S&M club in your area." - Paul Stagg
    "I do encourage that people laugh at the fact I've put ass creme on my face." - Rock Steady
    "I look like a condom full of walnuts." - Risk10k
    "...the mothers would hang out of the window to get a piece of my little peanut ass and my bronzelike skin." - Rock

  18. #18
    Wannabebig Member Patriot54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    48
    Thanks once again for the advice - I'm starting to look around for a good chin-up/dip station. If I could do 2 chinup reps, that would be a great start for me. Even after I lose the gut, I can't really see myself at much less than 200 lbs, but time will tell. Either way, some bodyweight exercises would be great.

  19. #19
    PT... Plenty Tough POPS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    baja calif
    Posts
    0
    Word of Advice!

    Warm those elbows up good and start off light w/ those skull crushers. There's probably a lot of us who don't do S/C's because the effect and strain they put on the elbows. If you should start feeling any pain even a little one w/ the S/C's then change the exercise to C/G benches for your Triceps
    Formerly "Tough Old Man"

  20. #20
    Strength & Protection Kiaran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    3,963
    I disagree with the concept that a workout shouldn't be longer than 45 minutes. I think a workout should be as long as a person needs to get in and get whatever they want accomplished. If you are gassed in 45 minutes, then aim for that; if it takes you 90 minutes, then 90 minutes should be your workout. It's not all about what is optimal for the body just because someone said so. It's more important to me to feel satisfied and fulfilled that I nailed a complete workout. If I have to shorten my workout to hit a target 45 minutes, I do not feel like I accomplished my goals. We all know how important the mind is when it comes to body building. My current workouts take 70-90 minutes. I used to do workouts that ranged between 30-50 minutes. The thing is, I respond better to the longer workouts. Do what's right for you.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

    The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

  21. #21
    Strength & Protection Kiaran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    3,963
    Quote Originally Posted by Tough OLD MAN
    Word of Advice!

    Warm those elbows up good and start off light w/ those skull crushers. There's probably a lot of us who don't do S/C's because the effect and strain they put on the elbows. If you should start feeling any pain even a little one w/ the S/C's then change the exercise to C/G benches for your Triceps
    I wouldn't be so fast as to toss the whole exercise in the toilet if it hurts from the start. Experiment a little first with different arm positions. My elbows used to kill from laying tricep extensions. I finally shifted my elbows further back to where they are about even with my ears and no more pain. I also drop my head off the back of the bench so that I can get a better ROM and keep constant work on my tries and not the joints as I do the exercise. Worked out awsome for me. Actually, CG Benches play hell with my elbows/tendons more than any other exercise I've done...oddly enough.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

    The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •