The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    chew it

my doctor worn or what?

i went to get my annuals physical and my doctor me and my doctor started talkin about bb then he brings uo this whole thing about if you are still growing in heigh it is almost impossible to gain muscle mass
    get huge or die trying
    15 years old
    weight 199-204

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

thats far from the truth
    is it possible you misunderstood him?
    or he misunderstood your question?

if you couldn't gain muscle mass while your growing then where did the muscles you have come from?
    Last edited by geoffgarcia; 10-27-2004 at 08:59 PM.

chew it
    no he said if u are still growing in height ur muscles will only tone but cant become bigger
    get huge or die trying
    15 years old
    weight 199-204

yeah thats funny???

RichLockyer
    He's F.O.S.
    It'll be harder to build because your metabolism is rocking and your body is burning a lot of calories just in forming new bone and growing, but it certainly is possible to bulk up some big guns.

Ask him if, since you won't stop growing until you're about 25, if you aren't going to build muscle until you're 25.

This is the source of the whole bulk/cut program. It would be possible to get a good set of muscles without gaining bodyfat IF we knew EXACTLY how many calories we needed and in what macro proportions.

Problem is, we don't know. We either starve muscle growth and don't gain bodyfat, or we allow muscle growth to maximize it's potential, and in the process pack on 5-10 pounds of fat.... then we have to trim the fat while maintaining muscle mass.

Your situation is compounded by an extremely high BMR because of your general growth needs. You could probably bulk at 3500cals and not put on a huge amount of fat.

But don't sweat it.... you're 14 and have another 60+ years to work on improving your bod

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    All the doctors you go to seem to be crazy, lol.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

3:16
    you can gain msucle when you grow, otherwise your arm diameter would be the same your arm size when you are just born as it will be when 16.

look at some BB pic who started trianing before they reached there full height. eg arnold
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

I'd say once you reach puberty you should be able to put on muscle.

Just because he's a doctor doesn't mean he knows everything.

RichLockyer
    Quote Originally Posted by superdeathflame
    Just because he's a doctor doesn't mean he knows everything.
    Nope.
    The only thing being a doctor means is that he thinks he's a god.

If he's an HMO doctor, chances are he's foreign-trained and wasn't really good enough to practice in his home country.

What do you call the guy who graduated last place from med school?
    Doctor.

There are some VERY good doctors out there.
    There are many more very bad doctors out there.

3:16
    Quote Originally Posted by RichLockyer
    Nope.
    There are some VERY good doctors out there.
    There are many more very bad doctors out there.
    i would disagree with that. Ok they may not be good help for exercise. If you want exercise advice come to a baord like this.
    But if you cancer, pneumonia etc I would go to a doctor and not use this board for advice really.

Thats what you want your doctors to be good at, the big illness etc.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Wannabebig Member
    akoma..
    I cannot tell you how many patients have completely misunderstood things I have told them, though that may not be the case here.

That being said, I am a physician, 40, and a weightlifter since age 16, yet I come to places like this or to books written by bodybuilders to learn about bodybuilding. Physicians are not taught bodybuilding in medical school. Nutrition yes (for the non-bodybuilder), physiology and anatomy yes. But bodybuilding is a sport or lifestyle. If your sick see a doctor. If you want to learn about bodybuilding, talk to others that do it, or read a book by one.

You can build muscle at any age, the easiest time is when your young, ie when your growing.

I agree with oph40. Afterall...Body Building is a sport, not a medical condition. Would you ask your doctor advise on how to improve your backhand in tennis?
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiaran
    Would you ask your doctor advise on how to improve your backhand in tennis?

Tennis no, golf maybe LOL. On a more serious note, I've had a doctor tell me to stop lifting weight or else I would seriously damage myself before I was thirty. This was seven years ago and now I am past thirty and no serious damage yet. Lift with proper form and keep your ego in check and there should be no reason why you should get hurt.

Most doctors are ok when it comes to dispensing medical advice, but on other things take their word with a grain of salt.

Glad to see there's another M.D on this forum. Welcome aboard. Now that all that's said, what are your personal thoughts about some of us on here that do steroids. Any expertise in this field at all that might be of some help should we need it?
    Last edited by Tough OLD MAN; 10-31-2004 at 08:11 PM.
    Formerly "Tough Old Man"

Banned
    ya hes an idiot. i know 14yo that were pretty dam buff. wonder how that happened