The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Observations in the gym

I noticed something lately about experienced lifters in the gym I go to, they tend to use a lot of weight, but use a very limited range of motion.

For instance, I saw a massive guy (6'4, 275 maybe) using 100 lb DB while doing incline presses, but was barely moving them up and down 6 inches. I've seen other guys doing flat bench and stopping 6-8 inches short of the their chest before going back up again.

Do you think they are doing this because of pain/injury when using the full range of motion? Or is it to look stronger than they really are?
    That's a picture of Scarlett Johansson.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Usually they will do it to look stronger then they are.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

rather than wonder why not just ask them?

I'd give them the benefit of the doubt
    100lb dbs on incline should be a joke to a "massive guy @ 275"

maybe he was just stretching with that weight or doing a warmup for that muscle.
    I often use lighter weights to stretch my muscles, going through small 5-6" movements. I do this on bw pullups also, I'll pull myself up above my chin and then shift my weight around and go up and down 5-6" do warm up my muscles before strapping on weight to do my workout.
    Last edited by geoffgarcia; 10-27-2004 at 11:01 AM.

shortened rom on a pressing movement can have a reason. For instance, to keep it a pectoral move, and take out the tricep movement of locking out. Or maybe he did it for an ego thing. Ask
    Beer helped slow down my metabolism.... -ozzyman

3:16
    some time there muscle mass can get in the way from doing a large ROM as some smaller people.

though some people do it to show off.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Quote Originally Posted by body
    some time there muscle mass can get in the way from doing a large ROM as some smaller people.
    how often do you see a bb or pl for that matter not using a full rom...well atleast whenever i see em doing things they always use full range and they are the biggest dudes on the planet

but yes ego can esily be in it....i have a friend who i lift with occasionally woh always used to bench more then I, but now that ive gotten a good bit higher then i was before and maybe even higher then him....he has gone to shorter rom when i lift with him just so he is still doing more then me.....ofcourse going all the way down but no all the way up on say bench is not that bad...i usually dont go to full lock out, usually stoping an inch or so before

3:16
    Quote Originally Posted by emjlr3
    how often do you see a bb or pl for that matter not using a full rom...well atleast whenever i see em doing things they always use full range and they are the biggest dudes on the planet

but yes ego can esily be in it....i have a friend who i lift with occasionally woh always used to bench more then I, but now that ive gotten a good bit higher then i was before and maybe even higher then him....he has gone to shorter rom when i lift with him just so he is still doing more then me.....ofcourse going all the way down but no all the way up on say bench is not that bad...i usually dont go to full lock out, usually stoping an inch or so before
    Did you see lou ferringo in pumping iron, shoulder pressing? full ROM, no where near.
    Read some other post. eg i think it was chris mason describing mike matorrozo doing curls. His arms are so big that he can't do full ROM as his forarm hits his bicep.
    There are other examples of this and other footage around if you look. just the magazine never really admit it.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

I think some body builders shorten their ROM later on in their careers to sort of beat the bottle neck in the muscle group. For example, different muscles come into play at different positions in a lift, so perhaps some builders want to work on an area more than the others by limiting the ROM. Personally, I think most people that are limiting their ROM are either lazy, trying to impress, or have no idea what they are doing.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log