The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

what do you believe the conversion from DB to BB is?

For me it is about 35 lbs

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Not sure what you mean.
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche

For me it's a lot more than that. For instance I use 85lb db's for reps, but use much more than +35lbs for reps using bb bench. Now if you're talking about both dumbells together, then 35lbs is somewhere in the ball park.

what is mean is if I am using 2 80lb dumbells for reps (160lbs total), then what I do on barbell for that exercise is normally about 35 lbs more (195 lbs).

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    There is no set 'conversion.'

When one switches from BB to DB the muscles are shocked and aren't used to it. It's like 2 completely different exercises. It's just what the muscles are used to doing and keep in mind that different muscles are used doing BB and DB for a given exercise. So, it depends on a lot of things.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    There is no set 'conversion.'

When one switches from BB to DB the muscles are shocked and aren't used to it. It's like 2 completely different exercises. It's just what the muscles are used to doing and keep in mind that different muscles are used doing BB and DB for a given exercise. So, it depends on a lot of things.
    I understand that, but I still think there would be a "general" conversion. I use both DB's and BB's for the major chest exercises (alternate).

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GMCtrk
    I understand that, but I still think there would be a "general" conversion. I use both DB's and BB's for the major chest exercises (alternate).
    Well, probably the "general conversion" would be like 75% of BB with DBs.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

I believe it doesn't matter.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

bench, deadlift & eat!!!!! Mic Soloist's Avatar
    my DB Bench PR is 100's x 1

my BB Bench PR is 225 x 1 (though I think I could get a little more)

3:16
    just get on with doing the exercise and your soon find out.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

i do 90s for incline db, so that would be 180, but I only do 195 for incline bb, so that is only 15 lbs, and I have no idea what I do on flat db because the highest my gym has is 100s and im way past that

all I know is if they're the same like some people are claiming then my db press is embarassing

Quote Originally Posted by PowerManDL
    I believe it doesn't matter.
    preach on brother PMDL!
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Banned
    280x5 barbell 100x7 dumbells for bench

65x5 dumbell 120x5 barbell for standing bicep curls

Quote Originally Posted by Max-Mex
    preach on brother PMDL!
    :withstupi
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Quick story about this. I used to only do DB bench press for benching; never did the BB bench press. I got up to a pair of 90's. When I finally switched over to BB bench press, I could only do about 165. I think there are slightly different pieces involved on both lifts and realistically, while the lifts work the same muscles, they can not be compared, just like a flye and a press can't be compared. On another thought, If you just look at the movement of both exercises and the muscle groups worked, then idealy, you should be able to push the same weight on either. To do this, you'd probably have to do a BB and DB press every time in the same workout (or at least alternate). Only thing really limiting the DB is the mount, dissmount and stabalizing factor since you are pushing two objects instead of one. Ultimately, I still think they are two completely different exercises and like most people have said: it doesn't matter.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

as mentioned earlier the conversion is more likely to be a percentage than a set number of lbs.

the BIGGEST diff. between the two is that with a bb the stronger arm can compensate for the weaker arm and with dbs you get a larger ROM. because the bottom of the lift where you get the extra ROM is where you're weakest you won't be able to lift as much with the dbs even if you have perfect symm. this stands for all lifts.

I'm with the "it doesn't matter" crowd. It's going to be different for different exercises.

Wannabebig Member
    i've always wondered about this too..

i have heard somewhere between 70-80% of your barbell bench press should be the combined weight of the 2 dumbbells in your dumbbell bench.

the last time i barbell benched (looong time ago)
    i was pushin up 285 for 7 reps.

i have since switched to dumbbells and i am currently using 115's x 5-6 reps

so that's about 80.7%... probably will differ greatly among various body types and genetics, etc... longer arms vs. shorter.. height, weight.. blah blah. i would say 70-80% is a safe estimate though.

Good to see that I'm not the only one that sticks to dumb bell presses 2 90's 8 reps x4. Tore my rotator cuff about 4 years ago doing barbell presses and was advised to stick too dumb bells less stress on the shoulders will do 225 lbs from time to time on the barbell. Don't want to go through the hell of surgery and recovery of that again and I'm not so young anymore.......

Banned
    how do umanage to dammage shoulder on bench press. bad form?

You can severely damage your RC on a bench press if you do not keep the shoulders pulled back tightly through the entire ROM. Some people like to push the shoulders out/forward as they near the top of the lift. This puts all the load on the joint, which is not being supported by the back muscles when it's shifted forward. This is bad news for the RC.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

Banned
    hmm today ill have to test bench keeping my shoulders back. i usually just push it up. i think i do push my shoulders up to give it that extra distance lol i dunno. ill find out tonight on how i do it

Yeah, a lot of people think you need to shift the shoulders forward on the lift to get that "extra flex/contraction" of the pecs. This is crap, the lift is already over at that point in time anyway. All you are doing is shifting the load onto the RCs. Also, not sure if it's clear, but what I mean by "shifting forward" is when the shoulder piece actually moves out in front of the body just slightly. You want it pulled back tightly and reenforced by all the back muscles. You'll notice the difference almost immediately if you are pushing the shoulders forward on your benches.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

Banned
    na shoulders stay put for me. shall i squeeze my shoulder blades together?