The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 275 of 364
  1. #251
    Wannabe a Beast BigNic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    3,011
    Quote Originally Posted by ElPietro
    Lol, some people here are making some relatively dumb canada comments. First how are we living off US military spending? If anything at all, the US's military actions cost us much more than we'd spend. But since we have traditionally helped in some way in most US initiatives, it gets us involved more than we probably would otherwise. We have a very active role in peace-keeping initiatives. Don't require like half our GDP on defense and military because we don't go out and make enemies, that would require us to fear attack. Most of our defense spending is probably done as a result of the US being a target in some way to other factions, and since we are neighbours we share a common border, via which these factions can gain admittance to the US.

    As for guns and whether we care or not, this is also a huge gap in perception. Here in canada, most people own guns for hunting. It doesn't even cross the mind of most to have one for self-defense. That alone probably speaks volumes on quality of life, and how we feel much more secure than others that must go out and purchase and carry firearms. Perhaps I just didn't watch as many cowboy and indian movies as some of you guys down there when I was younger, I've met plenty of guys that simply want to own a gun because to them it's "cool." To me, a gun is no big deal, it's for self-defense, or target shooting if you like that as a sport. But to think you are cool now because you own a tool that is designed to kill is probably one of the most juvenile, "small-dick" syndrome things I could think of. The constitution gives you that right, so that's fine, just don't say one country is better because they can carry concealed weapons.

    I can't ever remember any report put out that showed the US to have a higher standard of living than canada. Ever. Of course, I could be wrong, but never heard of it before.

    Sure we pay higher taxes, and you know what, I don't like it. If I could change that I would. But if my biggest concern is taxation, I'll certainly take that, over having to worry about being shot, having a plane fly into my office building, losing relatives or friends in wars I may or may not believe in, having my government control my life in some way based on his religious beliefs, or being sued for serving coffee that was too hot.

    Blind Patriotism < rational thought. Be proud of your country, but don't do it at the expense of others. How many americans are settled in canada now because they had to dodge the draft?
    I disagree with many us policies however as far as im concerned those that left to avoid the draft are certainly not americans. Good riddance to them.
    Last edited by BigNic; 11-04-2004 at 08:00 AM.
    Beer helped slow down my metabolism.... -ozzyman

  2. #252
    Player Hater PowerManDL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Posts
    7,850
    The Illuminatus has controlled us since before Rome. Just accept their rule.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

    Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

    ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

    Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

    galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

    assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

  3. #253
    Party of "No." Tryska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    23,191
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyno Rhino
    Tina - do you think that they would be embracing America's ideals by voting for Kerry? I certainly don't see how. I think it was a lose-lose situation on Tuesday - big time.

    he would have stood for the separation of Chruch and State and the Freedom of Speech.


    two of my biggest concerns right now.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

    Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!


    Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

  4. #254
    bulking again
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    0
    well who ever said most democrats are the most educated and most successful ppl are wrong.. it's the republicans who are doctors lawyers upper class.. at least most of em are.. democrats are lower class and teachers.. republicans fight for social status and that's what i think is important i think there should be status rather than us all being equal.. the only reason why i voted bush is b/c im one sided i don't care tho im jus not what democrats are all about all their views i find are very wrong.. but again somethings about republicans are wrong too but since i live in texas i jus kind of get influenced to vote bush with my friends and stuff oh well..

  5. #255
    Party of "No." Tryska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    23,191
    yay aristocracy!!

    it worked so well for France.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

    Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!


    Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

  6. #256
    Go Heels! MixmasterNash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    10,215
    Quote Originally Posted by reaver
    I will agree on safety. They don't have the same melting put of people we have, they don't have as many large cities. I would have to see figures on the per capita gun ownership. I find it hard to beleive. Probably as many rifles and shotguns, but not guns all together, since handguns are illegal.
    This is also incorrect. The do have the same sort of metlting pot, with huge waves of recent Asian immigration and relatively liberal refugee policies. Additionally, the percentage of people living in urban areas in the U.S. versus Canada is exactly the same.

    As for safety, it has little to do with gun ownership levels and everything to do with social programs and community support.

  7. #257
    Professional hobbit Focused70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Hobbiton, The Shire
    Posts
    7,811
    Quote Originally Posted by toughguywannabe
    well who ever said most democrats are the most educated and most successful ppl are wrong.. it's the republicans who are doctors lawyers upper class.. at least most of em are.. democrats are lower class and teachers..
    Wrong. Isn't this a misquote and a series of overbroad generalizations?

    edit: I stand corrected. I see Tryska made the original statement back in page two or three of this thread. Tryska and toughguywannabe -- you're both wrong unless you can back up your statements with statistics. Education and success know no ideological boundaries. You'll find the same amount of highly educated and successful people on both sides of the ideological fence. There are Republican teachers as well as Democrat physicians and doctors. This "success = ideology" argument is rather silly and pointless as far as I'm concerned.

    Stash
    Last edited by Focused70; 11-04-2004 at 08:34 AM.
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah


    Food log

    The Focused Chronicles

  8. #258
    Wannabebig New Member HahnB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SobaAddict70
    Wrong. Isn't this a misquote and a series of overbroad generalizations?

    Stash
    Perhaps. There are successful people in both parties-obviously. There are poor people in both parties as well. However, most poor minorities are democrats. There are very few poor minorities that are republicans. Then again who knows because bush won 53% of the Latino vote near miami. I guess I'm biast against democrats because I haven't met too many intellegent ones yet Everyone that I know who votes in that direction uses Michael Moore as their reasoning.

  9. #259
    Go Heels! MixmasterNash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    10,215
    Quote Originally Posted by SobaAddict70
    Wrong. Isn't this a misquote and a series of overbroad generalizations?

    Stash
    Crap? Really? I though there weren't any doctors Manhattan and other "blue" areas. I figured all radically new medical research and advanced treatment was being done in Idaho and Arkansas instead of NY and California.

    And lawyers? Wait, wait, I though Republicans hated the trial lawyers and wanted to ban them.

    Ah! The vortex of inconsistency!

  10. #260
    Go Heels! MixmasterNash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    10,215
    Quote Originally Posted by HahnB
    Perhaps. There are successful people in both parties-obviously. There are poor people in both parties as well. However, most poor minorities are democrats. There are very few poor minorities that are republicans. Then again who knows because bush won 53% of the Latino vote near miami. I guess I'm biast against democrats because I haven't met too many intellegent ones yet Everyone that I know who votes in that direction uses Michael Moore as their reasoning.
    You do know that the red state are welfare states, and the blue states are donors? Why don't the lazy welfare queen red states go get a job and stop having babies? Even discounting military spending, the net effect of farm subsidies and pork go heavily to the red states. You guys are like a cancer on productive blue America.

    Also, you know which state has the lowest divorce rate? That bastion of gay marriage and liberal ideology, Massachusetts. Texas has a divorce rate 60% higher. So much for moral values. You guys need some gay marriage, cause your straight people are messing things up royally.

    Republicans talk the talk, but don't walk the walk.

  11. #261
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by reaver
    What do you mean? I don't see why anyone can't go to night school, work hard. Get student loans,ect.
    If you raised min wage to something you could live on, how many kids would try for anything better? Though if you raised min wage probably wouldn't be able to afford that big mac they were serving.
    You ended your last comment with "It is all part of being self reliant." But getting federally subsidized loans and grants is not self-reliance. It is welfare, which flys in the face of all the "self-reliance" and "I'm a self-made man" stuff that has been flung around this forum.

    People will try for something better, unless the federal minimum wage was closer to the minimum pay for professional athletes. Minimum wage will never make people rich. But that is besides the point. In a capitalist society, there will always be people on the bottom, working minimum wage jobs because:

    1) there are few higher paying skilled jobs compared to the number of low wage service positions (compare the number of engineers to the number of people who work non-managerial positions in the food service industry) and

    2) not everyone has the ability to become an engineer or other highly skilled job (people used to be able to make a decent wage in the US in factories, as unskilled labor, but this is no longer the case).

    The Republican answer to all job problems is "get a better education," but this isn't realistic. People have followed that advice and look at the decreasing value of a college degree. A college degree is the new high school diploma. You need a degree now for jobs that NEVER used to require it. All this accomplishes is to increase the minimum standard for employment at the most basic of jobs, not get people better jobs.

    We have to make it possible for someone who isn't all that skilled but who works hard to have a decent quality of life. This is something that has become near impossible in less than a generation. Doing this will require a combination of increasing the minimum wage, decreasing healthcare costs, strengthening the value of the dollar by lowering the deficit and otherwise improving the economy.

    Obviously, you can't increase the minimum wage too much or it will break too many small businesses. However, minimum wage should at least keep pace with inflation.

  12. #262
    WBBs motivational Speaker Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Between a girls ties!
    Posts
    4,593
    ChubRock, I dont understand how you can compare, you being sober in college in a party enviroment, to a child growing up in a crack infested hood, hearing gunshots, watching people get killed from early age, get beaten up ,seeing his mother scream after crack, watching his father get arrested, living in terror and fear all the early precious years of his demonic life, oh wait, he should just shape up! because George Bush says he can make it him self, shape up little negro, its all your fault!
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

  13. #263
    Professional hobbit Focused70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Hobbiton, The Shire
    Posts
    7,811
    Quote Originally Posted by HahnB
    Perhaps. There are successful people in both parties-obviously. There are poor people in both parties as well. However, most poor minorities are democrats. There are very few poor minorities that are republicans. Then again who knows because bush won 53% of the Latino vote near miami. I guess I'm biast against democrats because I haven't met too many intellegent ones yet Everyone that I know who votes in that direction uses Michael Moore as their reasoning.
    Lol, Hahn. There are poor people on the Republican side of the spectrum....but they usually aren't minorities.

    Haven't you read any of my posts? Michael Moore was entertaining, but my mind was made up way before I ever saw his film.

    Stash
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah


    Food log

    The Focused Chronicles

  14. #264
    Professional hobbit Focused70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Hobbiton, The Shire
    Posts
    7,811
    Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Crap? Really? I though there weren't any doctors Manhattan and other "blue" areas. I figured all radically new medical research and advanced treatment was being done in Idaho and Arkansas instead of NY and California.

    And lawyers? Wait, wait, I though Republicans hated the trial lawyers and wanted to ban them.

    Ah! The vortex of inconsistency!
    Most of the corporate litigators I know are usually Republicans. Sorry to burst your bubble.

    Stash
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah


    Food log

    The Focused Chronicles

  15. #265
    Professional hobbit Focused70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Hobbiton, The Shire
    Posts
    7,811
    Quote Originally Posted by anyone
    The Republican answer to all job problems is "get a better education," but this isn't realistic. People have followed that advice and look at the decreasing value of a college degree. A college degree is the new high school diploma. You need a degree now for jobs that NEVER used to require it. All this accomplishes is to increase the minimum standard for employment at the most basic of jobs, not get people better jobs.
    And this is one of the stands where I generally part company with most of the liberals on this board. A college education is attainable for anyone who wants it. Anyone. Now, some people will have an advantage moreso than others, but if you really want something, much like working out, you'll get it eventually. You just have to persevere and be consistent enough to attain your goal. This applies towards advanced and professional degrees as well.

    Making excuses is only a distraction.

    Stash
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah


    Food log

    The Focused Chronicles

  16. #266
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by SobaAddict70
    A college education is attainable for anyone who wants it. Anyone.
    Exactly. Printing more money makes money worth less just as printing more degrees makes a degree worth less. That's exactly my point.

    Education alone is not the fixall the Republicans make it out to be.

  17. #267
    Wannabe a Beast BigNic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    3,011
    Quote Originally Posted by SobaAddict70
    And this is one of the stands where I generally part company with most of the liberals on this board. A college education is attainable for anyone who wants it. Anyone. Now, some people will have an advantage moreso than others, but if you really want something, much like working out, you'll get it eventually. You just have to persevere and be consistent enough to attain your goal. This applies towards advanced and professional degrees as well.

    Making excuses is only a distraction.

    Stash
    I agree. With all the scholarships, military, work education pay, loans ect
    Beer helped slow down my metabolism.... -ozzyman

  18. #268
    Professional hobbit Focused70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Hobbiton, The Shire
    Posts
    7,811
    Quote Originally Posted by anyone
    Exactly. Printing more money makes money worth less just as printing more degrees makes a degree worth less. That's exactly my point.

    Education alone is not the fixall the Republicans make it out to be.
    No, but it's a step in the right direction.

    It's a proven fact that acquiring an education leads to increased job opportunities, which in turn leads towards a positive impact on the economy. Getting a better education is not a fixall but it *is* part of the solution. However, in my opinion, there's simply no excuse for not getting a college degree.

    Stash
    Last edited by Focused70; 11-04-2004 at 09:41 AM.
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah


    Food log

    The Focused Chronicles

  19. #269
    bulking again
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SobaAddict70
    Wrong. Isn't this a misquote and a series of overbroad generalizations?

    edit: I stand corrected. I see Tryska made the original statement back in page two or three of this thread. Tryska and toughguywannabe -- you're both wrong unless you can back up your statements with statistics. Education and success know no ideological boundaries. You'll find the same amount of highly educated and successful people on both sides of the ideological fence. There are Republican teachers as well as Democrat physicians and doctors. This "success = ideology" argument is rather silly and pointless as far as I'm concerned.

    Stash
    yah good point i was just saying what my gov't teacher said.. i do beleive it's pointless to argue about this politics thing.. politics is somethin u can never agree on u always have something to say that will make somebody else mad.. but that makes me look kind of dumb b/c im posting on this thread so i'll stop posting here lol!

  20. #270
    Wannabe a Beast BigNic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    3,011
    Quote Originally Posted by toughguywannabe
    yah good point i was just saying what my gov't teacher said.. i do beleive it's pointless to argue about this politics thing.. politics is somethin u can never agree on u always have something to say that will make somebody else mad.. but that makes me look kind of dumb b/c im posting on this thread so i'll stop posting here lol!
    you gotta watch out for govt teachers in hs. My gog't teach dished out the mot bs of all time. Not just her whack ass opinion, but false things.
    Beer helped slow down my metabolism.... -ozzyman

  21. #271
    bulking again
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    0
    it was a college teacher.. he seemed pretty knowledgable about everything so i give him that..

  22. #272
    Wannabebig New Member HahnB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SobaAddict70
    Lol, Hahn. There are poor people on the Republican side of the spectrum....but they usually aren't minorities.
    Stash
    That's exactly what I said. I'm all for equal rights, but as soon as gays are allowed to marry, then some idiot is going to want to marry his dog-then you have the word marriage meaning absolutely nothing anymore. When republicans want to protect marriage many of them simply are against gays-period. Some, like myself, feel that gay marriage will eventually lead to the destruction of everything that the word marriage stands for.

  23. #273
    Professional hobbit Focused70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Hobbiton, The Shire
    Posts
    7,811
    Quote Originally Posted by HahnB
    I'm all for equal rights, but as soon as gays are allowed to marry, then some idiot is going to want to marry his dog-then you have the word marriage meaning absolutely nothing anymore. When republicans want to protect marriage many of them simply are against gays-period. Some, like myself, feel that gay marriage will eventually lead to the destruction of everything that the word marriage stands for.
    You're all for equal rights....but you're not.

    Huh?

    Either you are, or you aren't. Sounds to me like you aren't, unless you meant something else.

    Stash
    Last edited by Focused70; 11-04-2004 at 01:15 PM.
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah


    Food log

    The Focused Chronicles

  24. #274
    Wannabe a Beast BigNic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    3,011
    i prolly shouldnt get into this one, but im kinda on the fence regarding gay marriage. On one hand, i dont think its any of the governments business. On the other, i feel like marriage is supposed to be a sacrament(sp?) between a man and a woman, and that changing it would be wrong.
    Either way im definetly for civil unions for homosexuals, that would give them the same rights.

    Id be interested in sobas argument as he seems to be one of the few ppl who can disagree respectfully.
    Beer helped slow down my metabolism.... -ozzyman

  25. #275
    WBBs motivational Speaker Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Between a girls ties!
    Posts
    4,593
    I am against gay marriage, they can find their own thing, and call it gayrrige or something, where is their imagination, marriage is a christian symbol for the love between a man and a woman, why cant they just make up their own thing, do we need to F*** over every important value in this corrupt society.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •