Thread: Singing Lessons

Singing Lessons

Does anybody take singing lessons? I feel like I've got a long way to go before I can sing well enough for people to not get pissed off at the sound of my voice I love playing guitar and I can sing while I play, but the quality of my voice is lacking. I'd like to improve that so I can feel good about playing live sometime in the near future. Any tips on singing or how to improve?
    Last edited by Tim Nissen; 11-03-2004 at 10:39 PM.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

I "willed" myself into becoming a good singer, but it helps to have a pleasant tone to begin with. Here are a few things -

When no one is around and you aren't afraid of being heard, sing very loud. Anyone can sing quietly in the shower and sound good, but to really get power and range, it is important to sing loud and with your diaphragm.

Work on your range. Find your range and try to expand it slightly, using warm-up techniques like a singing teacher would show you, like (do-re-me..., fa-so-la-me-do, etc), then try to move your range slightly up and slightly down.

Work on voice stability. Try to hold a note without wavering for as long as you can. Play a note on a keyboard (something with correct tuning) and sing with it without doing that vibrato crap. Do this with the highest and lowest note in your range as well.

Sing often. The best way to get good is to practice a lot. The more you sing, the more natural it will become. Just like most other skills, if you neglect it for a while, you will end up losing something. Car, shower, vaccuuming, mowing the lawn, anything. Just sing.

I was a terrible singer in high school, but by college I had people coming up to me all the time and telling me that I was great. It's a lot of persistance and a little natural ability. Good luck.

I play the stereo.

Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak , if you can sing this song, with out sounding horrible, well then you can sing, its an easy song to sing, but it requires talent.

Puff the magic dragon, if you can sing this song, you can sing.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Nissen
    Does anybody take singing lessons? I feel like I've got a long way to go before I can sing well enough for people to not get pissed off at the sound of my voice I love playing guitar and I can sing while I play, but the quality of my voice is lacking. I'd like to improve that so I can feel good about playing live sometime in the near future. Any tips on singing or how to improve?
    hahaha classic
    Beer helped slow down my metabolism.... -ozzyman