The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar

Sore back from Clean and Press?

I don't understand why my middle back and especially my traps feel sore the day after doing Clean and Presses. I would've thought my shoulders to be sore, but they're only a little bit sore. Hardly though. Do you think it's a problem with my form?
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    i need to read haha
    Last edited by BlingMeter; 11-02-2004 at 10:48 PM.

You know that your "middle back" and traps are heavily recruited for the clean motion, right?

Banned
    :withstupi

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    You know that your "middle back" and traps are heavily recruited for the clean motion, right?
    Hm...yeah, that seems right, but shouldn't the shoulders get the best workout because of the press after the clean?

BTW- my upper forearms are pretty sore too.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 11-02-2004 at 11:25 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Pressing should be using your legs so no, your shoulders should'nt be that sore

Yes, your shoulders are being worked in the press. Your forearms shouldn't be too sore. You shouldn't be pulling with your arms for the clean motion; instead, you should be pulling with your legs, hips, and ass.

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    I do these once in awhile and the next day I always feel like someone beat my traps with a bat. I do also get soreness in my brachioradiali (sp?), but my form is probably a little terrible as I'm kind of a spaz and the clean and press requires way more coordination than I am capable of mustering.

Alright, so I've figured that I'm probably doing it wrong because the only things I feel sore are: forearms, traps, back
    Lifting Journal

I wannabebig!
    cleans are a good trap builder imo..

Quote Originally Posted by ryuage
    cleans are a good trap builder imo..
    All of the oly lifts are excellent trap exercises. I really like high pulls, snatch grip deads, explosive deads, and the like. Good power, and not too technical, and I save my wrists from the clean.

I wannabebig!
    i love high pulls, especially for the rear delts.. whew what a burn!

Wait. Is there a difference between Clean/Press and Clean/Jerk ?
    Lifting Journal

Yes; if you don't know the difference, you shouldn't be doing either. Get a coach.

He shouldn't be doing them?

That is silly.

To "press" a weight overhead means that you are using only the strength of the muscles of the shoulders and triceps to lift the weight.

A "jerk" involves a thrust with the legs and hips to get the motion started and a dip via a splitting of the legs in order to get the weight overhead. If you watched the Olympics they were "jerking" the weight overhead after cleaning it.

I suggest that you perform "powercleans" followed by presses. The powerclean involves lifting the bell to shoulder height with one motion, but with a minimum dip of the legs. When you watch an Olympic clean they are performing what is called a "squat clean" where they literally catch the barbell after dropping underneath it and then squatting to a full squat position prior to recovering with the barbell. This is a more technical movement than the powerclean. Powercleans can be performed by any trainee.

You should be getting sore in your traps when you practice cleans. All of the places you are getting sore are to be expected.

Your delts are being worked just fine, trust me.
    Last edited by chris mason; 11-03-2004 at 05:25 PM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason
    He shouldn't be doing them?

That is silly.
    Yeah, he shouldn't be doing them until he receives some coaching, or does a lot of research, at the very least.

Of course, they good exercises, but not knowing the difference between them seems to indicate that he wouldn't know how to perform them properly, either.

Maybe he just didn't know the terminology; who knows.

Oh. Yeah, I do the press one.
    Lifting Journal

Did these for a little while. Swapped them out for Millies. Cleans play hell with my shoulder tendons =( Makes them feel like someone side kicked me in the shoulders immediately after the lift. Anyway, good luck with them fixationdarkness. Stick with the Clean & Press, forget the Clean & Jerk. Not sure what good tossing up more weight than you could really do, by using your legs, is really going to do for you except boost the ego.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log