Thread: Anyone in Austin, Texas, or Charlottesville or Richmond VA?

Anyone in Austin, Texas, or Charlottesville or Richmond VA?

I'm applying to graduate schools and I wanted to know what these places are like. I'm a North Carolina boy, and I've lived in and around Durham my whole life. I was just curious about what I should expect.
    Thanks.

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    charlottesville is ok, a bit crowded but much better than Richmond. Richmond has gone freakin ghetto. but the other is not. I live in DC, and i have friends all over the area. ditch richmond, go with charlottesville or austin, but i dont know texas much...never wanted to live there myself.
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

The school in Richmond would be the least competitive of the schools to which I am applying, so hopefully I won't be there. I have heard Austin described as "Chapel Hill on steroids," and although I pretty much hate the "something-on-steroids" cliche, that makes it sound like a place I'd like to be.

i live in yorktown va. Richmond sucks, you dont wanna live there, very trashy overall area. but of course there are nicer parts
    Beer helped slow down my metabolism.... -ozzyman

Well, like I said, I'm a Durham boy, and anyone who has been through the bad parts knows that it's trashy as hell, so I might feel right at home. But seriously, let's hope I get into one of the other schools.

well no matter what you choose at least your keeping it southern.
    Beer helped slow down my metabolism.... -ozzyman

Quote Originally Posted by BigNic
    well no matter what you choose at least your keeping it southern.
    Name: Justin Height: 6'2" Weight: 205 lbs. Age: 25

"Pick the right door, and you'll go free ... pick the wrong door, and there he'll be ..."

"It's the most fun in the park, when you're laughing in the dark!"

Austin is an awesome college/party town. It's very academic, but at the same time can really cut loose. Sixth street is a blast and the music scene is great. It's also a very "healthy" city in that the running/triathlete/mountainbiking and cycling communities are very active...afterall it is Lance's stomping grounds. If you're very conservative you may be turned off by Austin. It's a very artsy community. At the same time it's a bit of a social paradox...lots of conservative and lots of liberals(not democrats...but liberals in the truest hippy tree-hugging sense of the word)...and they all live happily together. What field are you going into? Most of their graduate programs are top notch.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

Psychology... I'd be applying to the evolutionary program. My chances aren't great, but one should aim high.

If you go to Austin, watch out for scenesters. Every time I see one of them with their non-functional black-framed glasses and carrying around their manpurses I want to smash their face with a brick.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenmoses
    If you go to Austin, watch out for scenesters. Every time I see one of them with their non-functional black-framed glasses and carrying around their manpurses I want to smash their face with a brick.
    I have no idea what a scenester is, but from the description, I'd probably hit them with a brick as well. Are they like the emo kids with the jelly bracelets? Man those guys piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by DenimDemon
    I have no idea what a scenester is, but from the description, I'd probably hit them with a brick as well. Are they like the emo kids with the jelly bracelets? Man those guys piss me off.
    Pretty much, they're the kids that go around wearing ties with their satchels and black frame glasses, pretending to be intellectuals and heartbroken all the time. Basically I hate them because every time I've tried talking to one, they act like they know everything about everything by making simplistic observations about any topic and automatically assuming they're experts on the subject.

I want to make them dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenmoses
    Pretty much, they're the kids that go around wearing ties with their satchels and black frame glasses, pretending to be intellectuals and heartbroken all the time. Basically I hate them because every time I've tried talking to one, they act like they know everything about everything by making simplistic observations about any topic and automatically assuming they're experts on the subject.

I want to make them dead.
    You know, I bet we'd get along real good in real life.

I lived with my girlfriend, now wife, in Austin while she was at UT. I would move back there in a heartbeat. I love that town. Terrific night life, great school, beautiful town setting. Not to mention all the wonderful camping sites and scenic attractions in and around the town (especially west of town).

It is fairly close to alot of fun attractions like San Antonio, tubing in New Braunsfels, etc.....

Lake Travis is one of the most beautiful lakes in Texas. I was fishing there once and my bait kept getting stolen so I actually swam down and could see perfectly clear the little fish eating my bait. Very clear water. Great skiing lake.

There are some great hiking and mountain biking trails also. If you road bike, the roads around there cant be beat. (Hell, even Lance Armstrong lives and trains there).

Did I mention that I love that town. LOL
    Tuef = "I need to get my ego stroked more often."

You know, I bet we'd get along real good in real life.
    Agreed. Anyway, Grumpy summed it up nicely. Austin is a really cool city. There's always something to do there, and it is the music capital of the South. It just happens to be occupied by the scenesters, but I guess that's understandable. We don't tolerate their kind of bullsh*t anywhere else in Texas.

Yeah, you do. They're the too-cool-for-you kids who live in Carrboro, go to Hell (I like Hell though), wear black framed glasses, and have rebellious tattoos, like everyone else.

we have a house in charlottesville for the winter, its a nice area, kinda boring the ladies are alright.. but its decent if u like to ski its pretty cool during the summer too.. just out there..

pz