Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I HATE to do this- Dynamic Bench Question

I've read your article several times already, and it has been a big help.
    I just didn't know if the point of the box was more to make sure the depth was right, or to kill all momentum so you'd have to power out of the bottom. Although I figured it was the latter, I wanted to make sure.

Its multipurpose. It verifies that your going deep enough, and then you sit back on it, stay tight and just release your hip flexors(aka stop pushing your feet outwards/spreading the floor) make sure you keep every other muscle contracted though, keep your abs and other surrounding muscles flexed. Then explode off the box, not just 'fast' but explode as fast as you can.
    IMO on DE days being explosive is the most important thing, it caries over to being fast. So on DE bench theres no pause, just down and once you touch chest/1/2"above drive as hard as you can. DE squat the decent doesn't have to be as quick because your going to pause on the box for a split second. After that split second though drive upwards as hard as you can ie. be explosive
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Well I'm certainly not particularly explosive yet (especially in some of the later sets), but I'll get there.
    Thanks for the help.

Wannabebig Member
    to add to your confusion, i'm sure wendler or tate have said somewhere that it's ok to pause on the bottom of the speed bench if it helps keep good form. some try to get 3 reps in 3 secs & the bar is flailing all over the place. maybe i read this in the beginner mistakes over at elitefts.com, but i honestly can't remember.

Do that voodoo that he do
    Quote Originally Posted by Newfie D
    to add to your confusion, i'm sure wendler or tate have said somewhere that it's ok to pause on the bottom of the speed bench if it helps keep good form. some try to get 3 reps in 3 secs & the bar is flailing all over the place. maybe i read this in the beginner mistakes over at elitefts.com, but i honestly can't remember.
    You are correct. If one's form is awful, then it's better to do one rep fast, pause, do another, etc.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Borris
    You are correct. If one's form is awful, then it's better to do one rep fast, pause, do another, etc.
    actually Borris, you are correct, i am probably wrong in the 'pause at the bottom' part. pause after each rep like you said. i can't find anything on "pause at the bottom"...

here's the 'beginner mistakes' excerpt:

4. Using time as your guideline

Too many times people use the "3 second rule" as if it were written in stone. For those that don't know, Louie Simmons timed competition bench presses and they were all around 3 seconds or slightly above. Louie knew that explosive strength is best developed around 60% of one's max. Louie timed his lifters at 60% and found out that they could perform 3 reps in about 3 seconds. This is why 3 reps are used on this day. Unfortunately, too many lifters want to rush their reps to fall within this time frame. This leads to reps that are not locked out, sloppy form and a complete waste of time. Remember that time, like the percentages, is a guideline. If I feel as if I am rushing through my reps, I will remind myself to perform each rep independently. I will also make sure to tell my training partners to remind me as I prepare to do my set and during my set. This always leads to better form and better speed.

Wannabebig Member

Smooth And Control 3 Reps Each Set The Same Time Frame

Quote Originally Posted by DenimDemon
    Okay, let me apologize first off by saying I'm really sorry for starting a new thread about dynamic benching, westside, etc. I know that there are a ton already and nearly everything has been covered thoroughly. I just have two simple questions, and I think I'd be wading through articles and threads for an hour just to find the answers.
    First off- with the dynamic benching- do I pause at the bottom, or just crank out three reps as fast as possible?
    Second- How fast are these supposed to be? I can't throw 60% up incredibly easily, but I can throw a lighter load (maybe 45%?) up as though there's no bar in my hands at all- is it okay for the weight to slow the rep down a little, or should I go lighter than 60%? I know that bar speed is supposed to be high, but how long should one rep take?
    Thanks, and sorry sorry sorry for making a new thread.
    WORK ONFORM AND DRIVE THINK SPEED EVER SET ,PHIL HARRINGTON