The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

I HATE to do this- Dynamic Bench Question

Okay, let me apologize first off by saying I'm really sorry for starting a new thread about dynamic benching, westside, etc. I know that there are a ton already and nearly everything has been covered thoroughly. I just have two simple questions, and I think I'd be wading through articles and threads for an hour just to find the answers.
    First off- with the dynamic benching- do I pause at the bottom, or just crank out three reps as fast as possible?
    Second- How fast are these supposed to be? I can't throw 60% up incredibly easily, but I can throw a lighter load (maybe 45%?) up as though there's no bar in my hands at all- is it okay for the weight to slow the rep down a little, or should I go lighter than 60%? I know that bar speed is supposed to be high, but how long should one rep take?
    Thanks, and sorry sorry sorry for making a new thread.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

don't pause at the bottom.....maybe start around 50% bar wt for starting out...are you using bands or chains, that's really the purpose of doin the speed work

Okay, thanks a bunch.
    I'm not using bands or chains as of yet- I'm really new to the whole westisde thing and I wanted to give a basic split a shot before I started adding anything fancy.
    There are some chains at my gym, should I throw them on for my DE day?

You're DE Bench days need to be worked in a wave pattern. On week one use 50% of your 1 rep max for 8 sets of 3 reps, on week two use 55%, on week three use 60%, and repeat for 3 cycles. Than you max out on regular bench press on your ME day, and use your new max to figure out your percentages from there.

When doing DE Bench, stay in control, but move the bar as fast as possible on the way down and on the way up. There should be no pausing.

Quote Originally Posted by DenimDemon
    Okay, thanks a bunch.
    I'm not using bands or chains as of yet- I'm really new to the whole westisde thing and I wanted to give a basic split a shot before I started adding anything fancy.
    There are some chains at my gym, should I throw them on for my DE day?
    You don't need chains yet, so don't worry about them until you've done some more training.

You also don't need to wave the DE bench, and you don't need to use bands and chains.

The point of the DE training is to build speed - so you want the bar to move as fast as possible. There are a couple of opinions on exactly how to do the reps, from nearly dripping the bar and pressing it, to lowering quickly, under control, and exploding up. I don't pause when doing DE benching unless I'm working up - on heavier sets after speed work, I pause and explode to see how my speed is with heavier weights using contest form.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg
    You also don't need to wave the DE bench, and you don't need to use bands and chains.

The point of the DE training is to build speed - so you want the bar to move as fast as possible. There are a couple of opinions on exactly how to do the reps, from nearly dripping the bar and pressing it, to lowering quickly, under control, and exploding up. I don't pause when doing DE benching unless I'm working up - on heavier sets after speed work, I pause and explode to see how my speed is with heavier weights using contest form.
    I disagree about not waving your DE days. On the Westside Seminar Tape they say waving is essential.

Do that voodoo that he do
    And you'll get guys that train at West Side like Jim Wendler who says that he hasn't changed his DE bench weight in several years, despite increasing his max.

It's all about speed. Faster is generally better.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

Quote Originally Posted by SalahG
    I disagree about not waving your DE days. On the Westside Seminar Tape they say waving is essential.
    Not on the version of the tape I have. They talk about waving DE squatting, not benching, although they have said that there isn't a thing wrong with trying it.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Not on the version of the tape I have. They talk about waving DE squatting, not benching, although they have said that there isn't a thing wrong with trying it.
    Than we're watching two different tapes. I just re-watched it last night. They say clearly that you should wave your percentages in 3 week microcycles.

I'm with borris.
    I've had the same DE weight for well over 2 years but my max has gone from ~235 to 300+. I use 135 for speed sets.
    Speed is king.
    I also dont wave my bench weights, i do on squats though.
    The reps are done touch and go as fast as possible, while keeping decent form.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Would speed work translate at all to other pushes?

For instance speed work (even possibly using DB instead of a bar) on incline and even shoulder presses. I never see those options discussed and was wondering if it's worth it for those movements?
    Won't you pour me a Cuban Breeze Gretchen......

The only problem I see with not changing the weight you use on your DE days, is that when you first start out lifting, let's say you bench 300 lbs. So you use about 150 lbs. for your DE Bench day. 5 years later you bench 800 lbs., I think you would have wanted to increase the weight you use on your DE bench day.

Man, if I could bench 800 in five years I'd be pretty damn satisfied.

Do that voodoo that he do
    The only problem I see with not changing the weight you use on your DE days, is that when you first start out lifting, let's say you bench 300 lbs. So you use about 150 lbs. for your DE Bench day. 5 years later you bench 800 lbs., I think you would have wanted to increase the weight you use on your DE bench day.
    That's an extreme example, and yes, you would. However, for long stretches of time one could easily use the same weight. Also, in regards to what Wendler was speaking of, most WSB newbies start off using too much weight. Even 50% is too much for some, because they're still slow. They grow into being fast with that weight.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

If you increase your max bench and you are lifting a percentage of that max on DE day do you not think that your DE bench will increase? I'm pretty sure that's how percentages work.

Just to add my experience, I've never read anything from westside or elite on wave percentages on DE bench, only on DE squat.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Not enough people are faast enough on DE day. WSB used to recommend 60%(still do to newbies i believe) I've never seen anyone do 60% very explosively. When you start doing speed work dont even worry about the percents. 50-60 is just a guideline.
    rpffly - doing speed work is pretty much excercise specific in the area of which you will get stronger. Ex. Doing speed db bench will get you stronger at db bench, but thats about it. Its also not the best idea to try speed work with db's. You'll be trying to do the reps as fast as possible and with db's it can get dangerouse real quick.
    Last edited by Adam; 11-05-2004 at 01:06 AM.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Not to mention that bands and chains will change the speed equation entirely. A speed bench with doubled minis is a whole different animal than a speed bench with straight weight.

What it comes down to is that there's as many ways as you want to alter then %'s. If you want to use a 3-week wave, do it. If you want to keep the same weight, do it. Hell if you want to drop the weight to 30-40% and add a ****load of band tension on occasion, that'll work too.

The point is that the "orthodox" guidelines are just that. There's plenty of wiggle-room in the WSB template.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Quote Originally Posted by PowerManDL
    Not to mention that bands and chains will change the speed equation entirely. A speed bench with doubled minis is a whole different animal than a speed bench with straight weight.

What it comes down to is that there's as many ways as you want to alter then %'s. If you want to use a 3-week wave, do it. If you want to keep the same weight, do it. Hell if you want to drop the weight to 30-40% and add a ****load of band tension on occasion, that'll work too.

The point is that the "orthodox" guidelines are just that. There's plenty of wiggle-room in the WSB template.
    Well said.

For someone just starting out, I would stick with the basics - start at 60% for 10 sets of 3 and adjust from there. I happen to use 60%, and it's worked for me, but 55% might have worked better - I'll know when I try it.

Also, don't worry so much about the small details, worry about getting the big stuff right, which is learning how to identify your weaknesses, and learning how to improve them. Knowing that you need to improve your lockout and figuring out how to do it is far more important than the % you use on DE bench day, as long as you are fast.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

I still don't understand how doing a quick descent can help with your overall bench. I can see the quick ascent will help. Can anyone explain this or have links/articles that explains why such a think works?
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

quicker decent will increase the force needed to reverse the movement.

The Westside seminar tapes from elitefts? The one with Dave Tate giving the seminar. The one that comes with the big book?

I didn't think they had another version - or I could be remembering wrong.

Regardless, if you look at what they say at elitefts, their advice is pretty clear.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

The Westside seminar tapes from elitefts? The one with Dave Tate giving the seminar. The one that comes with the big book?

I didn't think they had another version - or I could be remembering wrong.

Regardless, if you look at what they say at elitefts, their advice is pretty clear.
    My point was that they prescribe waving your percentages in the tape. If you don't want to, you don't have to. Look it up in the sample training program they give, and on the tape. Both say that waving is a part of the WestSide template.

Okay, I'm going to be a dumbass again...
    Is it the same deal with the DE box squats? Should they just be turbo-squats or should the focus be on stopping briefly at the bottom and then powering out of the hole (which is what I thought the whole point was)?

pause brifly at the bottom. look near the bottom of my article andd i have box squats explained in detail.

article in my signature