The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Will Power Rack squats still reap the benefits of free weight squats?

Kinda scared doing squats. Always have this lingering feeling that I'm gonna fall over or something and die!!!!! and thats not too cool.
    ----------
    Phil

My Journal

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

why not just put the bars on the powerrack right under where the bottom of your squat movement is. If you cant push it up, just drop it on the bar

powerrack is where you do free squats.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Quote Originally Posted by Adam MacKinnon
    It is??? so that machine with the 2 vert rails where the bar slides up and down isn't called a power rack? hehe...yeh I'm doing well not sounding like a complete n00b *slaps head*.

Yeh well I meant doing it in that instead of free weight.

GMCtrk: I'll give that a go
    Last edited by someGuy; 11-06-2004 at 10:36 PM.
    ----------
    Phil

My Journal

sounds like your talking about a smith machine
    and free squats are overall better

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

What are your opinions on DB squats?

IMO they are deadlifts with DB's

Now why wouldn't you just tell him he means the smith machine instead of trying to make him feel dumb?

someGuy - If you're concerned with hurting yourself then start with lower weights. You can increase the weight when you become more comfortable. Personally, I think squats using the smith machine are more dangerous. Maybe not dangerous, but it restricts your movement. I don't feel that they let your body move up and down in the normal line. Hack squat machines have a better line of movement. They allow you to roll out of the squat when coming up from the bottom. Seems easier on the back.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Tim, i didnt know he was talking about the smith. If you read back to his initial post i doubt you would have known either.

Someguy, lifting safely is cool. That feeling is real; could be you're trying to squat with too much weight. Nothing 'wussy' about lowering the weight a bit and getting some 8-10 reps you know you can handle; & still be wasted by the last rep. Some Smith machines have lock out pins to keep the bar from sliding all the way down. I'd forgotten about those; check with the gym mgr or worker if you need to. The power rack will have 2 bars you can slide in on each side; they'll be parallel to each other. Lower positions are for shrugs & deadlifts. Don't let your ego be your training buddy; even if he is a hard MF to get rid of

I second the ego statement, Im only doing squats on a machine at the moment just to build some semblance of legs before I hit free squats, dont want to be standing there squating the bar alone.... good luck with the squats tho mate
    " People just don't land on mountaintops… they had to climb."

I third the ego statement. When I see somebody in the gym lifting with somewhat low weights I don't think, "What a girly-man" I'm thinking more along the lines of having respect for him for getting in the gym and do something about his body. Everybody starts low.
    Last edited by ryan-; 11-07-2004 at 02:00 PM.

i fourth the ego statement. People in the gym get no respect from me for any gym related stuff. How strong, or weak anyone is really doesnt mean **** to me. Its a hobby. Theres much bigger things in life than how much you can lift
    Beer helped slow down my metabolism.... -ozzyman

Im new to squats and currently use the smith machine. Im up to 200 lbs now (BW=163lbs)and will eventually move on the the squat rack something like the one shown below - pic for someguy.
    Last edited by txterry; 11-07-2004 at 03:27 PM.
    Its all about the journey

My Journal
    Cottage Cheese

Why not start with that rack now; then you'll be squatting 'pure free weights'; though you probably won't be using 200lbs. That's ok. The Smith won't teach you the feel of free weights squatting.

This is a good site. Lots of intelligent questions and answers.

RichLockyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironrelic
    Someguy, lifting safely is cool. That feeling is real; could be you're trying to squat with too much weight. Nothing 'wussy' about lowering the weight a bit and getting some 8-10 reps you know you can handle; & still be wasted by the last rep.
    Ditto. Judging by DOMS and inability to run after squats, I don't see a big difference between a routine running 4x12@95 and 2x10 + 1x8 + 1x6 @135, but the lighter load poses FAR less risk to your lower back. My buddy blew out his back the first time he tried squats (under the direction of a PT!) and now refuses to do more than extensions and leg presses.
    Last edited by RichLockyer; 11-07-2004 at 06:35 PM.

Mint
    First rule of the gym is that you never use a machine when it's possible to do the same movement with free weights. Second rule of the gym is that you you don't speak about the first rule.

And never be embarressed. I started squatting with the 45 pound bar! Today I squat with the bar and tens on each side. You're not there because you're the strongest today, but because you will be the strongest tomorrow.

Tim, i didnt know he was talking about the smith. If you read back to his initial post i doubt you would have known either.
    Sorry 'bout that. I guess I've heard a few people mix them up so I figured he meant the smith machine. Also figured most experienced lifters, like yourself, would have assumed the same.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Quote Originally Posted by Ironrelic
    Why not start with that rack now; then you'll be squatting 'pure free weights'; though you probably won't be using 200lbs. That's ok. The Smith won't teach you the feel of free weights squatting.

This is a good site. Lots of intelligent questions and answers.
    Yup, Im going to move onto rack squatting soon. Im a wuss when starting a new exercise and want to avoid injuries so I can keep working out. So far the worst Ive had is a sore back muscle which healed in a day.
    Last edited by txterry; 11-08-2004 at 01:22 AM.
    Its all about the journey

My Journal
    Cottage Cheese

Righteo thanks for all the replies. Judging by what everyone has said I'll do free weights and at lower weights. I was watching this other guy doing it tday and the rack seems pretty safe. The bar at the lowest position is pretty close to the safety pins. Its just that of the few ppl that actually do squats at my gym haven't been putting in the safety pin. Not the best ppl to copy. Actually I don't think I have ever seen anyone deadlift at my gym either.

Thanks again for the advise!
    Last edited by someGuy; 11-08-2004 at 12:58 AM.
    ----------
    Phil

My Journal