Thread: Pain on the underside of the forearm....

Pain on the underside of the forearm....

I get this pain when doing many exercises, including EZ-bar curls. The worst though is Dips, its extremely painful after dips. I say "after" because this is what is confusing me, the pain doesnt appear while i ahve stress on the arm. It appears right after i put down the weight and just for a few seconds but its very painful. Anyone else ever experienced this? Its bothering me a lot.

Well, i think ive at least isolated it to a certain movement that aggravates it. I think its the close grip bench press that is causing the injury. If i place the bottom of my hand flat on the wall and push myself away, i can feel the injury. If i use the back of my hand it doesnt hurt at all. Now i need to somehow figure out if its a muscle or connective tissue problem. Im guessing connective tissue.

Any ideas on how i can figure this out? If all else fails ill try a doctor, but you know how they are. They just want to get you in and out as fast as they can so they can collect on the insurance.

damn, nobody has ever experienced anything similar? This is not good.

Banned
    dude i had the same problem as u! i was doing barbell curls for 4 weeks straight, movin up to 135lb preacher curl., let go of the bar and BAM under forarm hurt, y solution, stopped using the barbell everyweek. i use the barbell once a month. took a week off and my arms are ALOT better. stop using the barbell and use dumbells, worked for me. dam that pain hurt!

this all happened to me 1 month ago, i just played doctor on myself and was right!

i though i fractured my bone or something
    Last edited by BlingMeter; 07-14-2004 at 08:36 PM.

i have the prob too...except i also felt the pain when i would throw a baseball so that screwed me for my senior year in hs ( shoudla made all metro ), anywho yea i went to therapy for it and it got better if i didnt to the motions that hurt it...but the pain doesnt go away for ever, especially if you do the things that agrravate it again...i always get it when i do preacher or standing ez bar...basically either grin and bear it like i do, chance your style as i do often, or just find a diff excersize

Banned
    i still feel it a litter bit, bout 2% when i do heavy curls. but give it time and it will heal

barbell curls (on a straight bar) and close grip bench press put your forearm muscles and connective tissues under some unglodly stresses due to the odd angles the writs end up having to work at.

The simple solution to the problem is go to dumbells on the curls and perhaps skullcrushers or dumbels for tricep work.

The forearm is a complicated as hell place. Its packed full of so many muscles that activate the hand, fingers, writs, pronation and supination that it takes time and thought to diagnose a specific muscle/tendon/lig being damaged. Its so much easier to be able to touch the patients arm and feel for heat/swelling/firmness and pain. Can find whats wrong in a minute that way.

From my own experience (of acute pain during barbells curls) finding the muscle that was hurting, didnt help. Stopping the curls did. Ive been just fine ever since.

If you have any specific questions, i can try to answer them and look them up for you.

Augs

wow, i had given up on this thread, thanks for the responses guys. Yeah i think i initially injured it doing close grip bench press, since BB carls never effected me before. I use about 175 lbs right now, which is heavy for me. My forearms arent that big yet compared to my upper arm (17.25"). I use WBB1 so i do CGBP and skull crushers on the same day, what would be a good exercise to use as a replacement for CGBP? I hate to give it up, i think its a great exercise. But seeing as how it has effected quite a few of my lifts now (dips especially.....argh the pain is so bad when i let go), its gonna have to go.

A friend of mine at the gym has been floating me 800mg ibuprofen caps to keep the inflammation down.....so ive been dealing with it okay.

Got the same guys , hurting like hell after doing preacher curls and releasing the bar.

Went to the doc and he gave me an inflammatory called Diclofenac EG , hope this helps and the pain goes away.

i dont want to harp on about this kinda thing but Im going to just for a moment.

Drugs mask problems.

there. i said it. taking ibuprofen...anti inflamatories etc etc....all they do is mask the problem so you cant feel it anymore. This is especially dangerous whilst training. Now I will happily hold my hands up when someone says "but i have a chronic condition that wont go away no matter what i do"....ok in that circumstance train and take some masking drugs so at least you can work out. But when the problem isnt chronic (ie longterm problem that you have been to the docs about and they just shrug and say "nothing we can do") then you need to be listening to your body.

Pain is there to tell you that you are hurting things that you need. If CGBP is killing you then stop it. If preacher curls are causing tendonitis then stop it. It stands to reason that masking it with drugs just means you are tearing up an area that is already delicate, inflamed and trying to heal and you dont even have the feedback of pain to tell you that you should back off.

Sometimes the body gets things wrong. Sometimes things swell up and the swelling actually makes the problem worse. Thats when anti inflamatories can help...but normally with rest. Dont train on injuries...or you are either going to make it worse or extend the time it takes for the injury to heal by a huge factor.

Shansen: specifically...stop the CGBP and perhaps move to a machine for tricep extensions or dumbell kickbacks. Once all the pain and swelling is gone in say a month or more....then go to the CGPB again with an empty bar and just test to see if the ROM is hurting. A simple alternative is to move the grip apart slightly. Most CGBP pain comes from having the hands a little too close. It puts a lot of stress on certain tendons and ligaments. I imagine wonce things are healed up you will be able to go back to CGBP provided you listen to what your body is tellig you and adjust how you do the ROM.

Davy: same advice. stop the preacher curls. stop worrying about the size of your guns for a month. do some compounds. come back to them once the pain is gone. try seated hammer curls as an alternative to preachers perhaps. there are lots of ways to do curls.

Augs
    Last edited by Augury; 07-18-2004 at 09:50 AM.

Augury,

Good advice thanks, and yes today i talked to a friend whos been lifting for 20 years, and he gave me some alternatives to CGBP...so im dropping it for now. Problem is i need some alternatives for a few exercises that are effected at the moment.

Dips and Chins also hurt very much...though i think i will try some differerent hand placement for the chins and see what happens.

Yeah im gonna stop the preacher curls for a month or so , i'll throw in another excercise for my biceps ...

Banned
    make it 2 months

Banned
    im reviewing threads so i just have to reply lol

calcium pills are working for me on the forearm probs i was having