Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Atkins Anyone?

  1. #1
    Wannabebig New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1

    Atkins Anyone?

    Hey. Have any of you heard of this new Atkins DVD? Its available now at Walmart and I have been told it does wonders for weightloss. I am curious to know what people think because I have been told by some friends to pick up a copy. I have pretty much given up with the whole Diet thing because I just don`t have the patience. Some people have said this DVD is really fun and easy to use. If any of you have tried Atkins before or are thinking of it please let me know. Cheers and good luck

  2. #2
    zen idiot Scott S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    3,205
    I've done Atkins before. There are better ways t lose weight.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    White Rock, B.C.
    Posts
    3,664
    Quote Originally Posted by TaylorWillix
    I have pretty much given up with the whole Diet thing because I just don`t have the patience.
    There's no easy way to lose fat. Either you're dedicated or you're not, but trying some "miracle" diet won't be the answer.

  4. #4
    Senior Member muscle chic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,572
    My friend does the Atkins diet every now and then. She loses about 40 pounds but always puts it back on. It's not healthy either!!!You should really just try changing the way you eat " for life" . Anyone can lose weight. It just takes Diet!! and exercise!!

  5. #5
    zen idiot Scott S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    3,205
    Quote Originally Posted by muscle chic
    My friend does the Atkins diet every now and then. She loses about 40 pounds but always puts it back on. It's not healthy either!!!You should really just try changing the way you eat " for life" . Anyone can lose weight. It just takes Diet!! and exercise!!
    Atkins *can* be healthy, most people don't implement it that way, however.

    The book emphasizes eating green vegetables and exercise, but most people skip over that.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    White Rock, B.C.
    Posts
    3,664
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott S
    Atkins *can* be healthy, most people don't implement it that way, however.
    Yeah, I've never really looked into it in any great detail because I know it's not the best way to diet, but if my understanding is correct (that it's basically just a high fat/moderate protein/no carb diet) then it could certainly be healthy. You'd just have to replace all of the bacon and cheese you see people eating with various oils and nuts (although I suppose nuts have too many carbs...).

  7. #7
    Senior Member muscle chic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,572
    well you need more than green veges for carbs or you're going to be one tired person. It isn't healthy!! It doesn't say much that the man is dead either. Fruits were put on earth for man along with nuts and berries ect. We're meant to need carbs.

  8. #8
    zen idiot Scott S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    3,205
    Quote Originally Posted by muscle chic
    well you need more than green veges for carbs or you're going to be one tired person. It isn't healthy!!
    Sure it is. Eskimos live long lives wihtout eating many carbs. They eat a lot of saturated fat to boot.

    It doesn't say much that the man is dead either.
    He lived to 72, and died of a head injury.
    Last edited by Scott S; 11-08-2004 at 01:52 PM.

  9. #9
    zen idiot Scott S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    3,205
    Quote Originally Posted by Vido
    Yeah, I've never really looked into it in any great detail because I know it's not the best way to diet, but if my understanding is correct (that it's basically just a high fat/moderate protein/no carb diet) then it could certainly be healthy. You'd just have to replace all of the bacon and cheese you see people eating with various oils and nuts (although I suppose nuts have too many carbs...).
    Yeah, lean proteins like chicken, and fish for the EFAs, lots of green vegetables, and the occasional fruit or grain food, and it's very nutritious.

  10. #10
    Senior Member muscle chic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,572
    Yeah, He was probably run down from no carbs and he took a ****ter on the sidewalk. Fruit and grains are your friend

  11. #11
    zen idiot Scott S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    3,205
    Quote Originally Posted by muscle chic
    Yeah, He was probably run down from no carbs and he took a ****ter on the sidewalk. Fruit and grains are your friend
    He slipped on ice. Interestingly enough, his arteries were remarkably clear, even toward the end of his life. Explain that.
    Last edited by Scott S; 11-08-2004 at 02:01 PM.

  12. #12
    Senior Member muscle chic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,572
    I believe anyone eating "Healthy" and not stuffing crap into their moulth can have clear arteries. Junk food I mean, pizza, twinkies ect. That doesn't mean getting run down from low energy supply is healthy. The man did have a heart attack a few years back before his death. Hey you know I'm just giving my opinion. I think he needs to research any kind of "Diet" first.

  13. #13
    zen idiot Scott S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    3,205
    Quote Originally Posted by muscle chic
    I believe anyone eating "Healthy" and not stuffing crap into their moulth can have clear arteries. Junk food I mean, pizza, twinkies ect. That doesn't mean getting run down from low energy supply is healthy. The man did have a heart attack a few years back before his death. Hey you know I'm just giving my opinion. I think he needs to research any kind of "Diet" first.
    Dr Atkins *did* have a heart attack, but it was due to a heart infection, not blockage.

    As I pointed out in the other thread, not trying to pick on you. And I agree that the OP should research all the available diets before embarking on one.
    Last edited by Scott S; 11-08-2004 at 02:20 PM.

  14. #14
    Senior Member muscle chic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,572
    You're getting the last word in on this one!! I'm off to the gym!!

  15. #15
    As I Am Paul Stagg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Baltimore, MD, USA
    Posts
    8,668
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott S
    He slipped on ice. Interestingly enough, his arteries were remarkably clear, even toward the end of his life. Explain that.
    Everyone knows that people who don't eat crbs make the air in front of them much colder, which led to the ice forming.

    Low carbs also make your shoes more slippery, and keep people from properly salting their walkways.

    You guys have no idea just how powerful we have allowed low carb diets to become.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •