Thread: I have several questions about decline press:

I have several questions about decline press:

First off, how much more weight can you guys handle on decline compared to flat? For some reason, decline seems incredibly easier than flat.

Secondly, I keep hearing that decline (and I guess weighted dips too) actually work the chest better than flat. Is it true?

Thanks!

I wannabebig!
    some people claim it works the chest better, and yes im pretty sure about 95% of people will decline more then they can flat/incline.

The Big Wang
    its easier because u can use ur shoulders.. and more of ur upper body weight to push it..
    i usually lift about 35 pounds more than i flat bench.. i never tried to max it.. but it is easier..
    flat and decline work different parts of ur chest..
    but yea i feel it more on decline than flat
    Weight: 175
    Height: 5'11"
    Max Bench: 300 pounds
    Six pack: Yes

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=55173
    ^^Tis I.

Quote Originally Posted by abwowang
    its easier because u can use ur shoulders.. and more of ur upper body weight to push it..
    i usually lift about 35 pounds more than i flat bench.. i never tried to max it.. but it is easier..
    flat and decline work different parts of ur chest..
    but yea i feel it more on decline than flat
    LOL, the **** will hit the fan. Run dude
    Beer helped slow down my metabolism.... -ozzyman

Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

It isolates the top outside corners of your chizest, and gives it mad tone. I also do kickbacks for a swole chest. They give me boners.

But in all seriousness, I can decline a hell of a lot more than I can flat bench. You're just putting your body at a greater mechanical advantage to move the weight.

Wannabebig Member
    Yeah it seems like all the body is pushing. pecs, abs, shoulders, triceps ,even legs. Its hardly a "chest" exercise but its not a bad idea to do it once in a while to differentiate your routine by targeting some muscles from unusual angles

hammin'
    I thought it was you could decline press more cuz the ROM was decreased significantly
    They say that when your ships comes in
    The first man takes the sails
    Second takes the afterdeck
    The third: the planks and rails.

RichLockyer
    I alternate every 2 weeks.... decline for 2, then flat for 2 (in addition to the Hammer machines and other upper body work).
    Generally, when I go back to the decline, I can add 10 pounds to what I was running the previous week on flat. When I go back to flat, I can carry 5-10 pounds with me.

Keep in mind that I'm pressing sub-100, so 5-10 pounds is significant.
    I hope to break 100 on the next switch to decline.

Perhaps I could run the same gains if I only did flat, but it is so much easier on decline that it's a big psychological pump to add weight and have the first set go effortlessly, then still be able to run 8 reps on the 4th set... then when I go back to flat, it's not a psych matter of "okay, I'm going to push more weight this week", but rather a matter of "okay, I did 95 last week and I'm NOT going back down to 85". I'll end up doing a set of 10, 8, then maybe two 6's, but I'll do it.

Motors, Music & Muscle HemiVision's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trich daddy
    I thought it was you could decline press more cuz the ROM was decreased significantly
    bingo