The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

The four syllables of death: tendonitis

i know i havent been here for a while and its because i get depressed seeing you guys having fun talking about lifting yet i cant do anything because of my tendonitis. well i took nearly 2 months off and finally went to the gym today. i couldnt wait to try out my elbows. i did one warmup set of skull crusher and i was in a lot of pain. i dont know if this is because of my tendonitis or its because i havent lifted for 2 months. i went really slow and had great form but alas my elbow was in a lot of pain for a few minutes.

it hurts more than ever. why? i went from 165lbs to 150lbs during the break. while i was leaving the gym i really asked myself if i should even continue to lift. i love lifting to death but maybe i have to move on and do other things instead of wasting my time with false hopes of my elbow ever recovering.

what do you think.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

If I had tendonitis, Skull Crushers would be the absolute last thing I would consider doing, apart from maybe arm wrestling Ronnie Coleman. They are the single hardest exercise on your elbows, and they aren't absolutely necessary, try Close Grip bench, pushdowns, overhead DB extensions and dips. Some of these may also hurt

I don't have tendonitis, but I don't do skull crushers at all becuase I can feel the pain coming on as soon as I attempt them

T chap yeah i know how you feel bro... i have been diagnosed with tendonitis in both knees and it took me about 4 months to feel as close to normal as ill ever get... but i still squat and play bball and all that i just watch how muhc pressure i am willing to apply on my knee.. try doing machinf press's ie.. hammer strength equip and shortned movemnets it might help and if pain still persists maybe just give it more time... good luck bro but i know what your going through i couldnt play ball for 4 months and at the time it was the most important thing ever to me..
    PRs
    bp-295x2, 225x15 squat-405x3
    height 5'2 weight 140lbs

All hail mase, the king of homosexual reference. - xian
    Pfffff. I've had jerk off sessions more intense than that workout. StackAttack in reference to CanadianCripplers w/o

Fuzzy Pics 6/07 http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=98659

Quote Originally Posted by thetopdog
    If I had tendonitis, Skull Crushers would be the absolute last thing I would consider doing, apart from maybe arm wrestling Ronnie Coleman. They are the single hardest exercise on your elbows, and they aren't absolutely necessary, try Close Grip bench, pushdowns, overhead DB extensions and dips. Some of these may also hurt

I don't have tendonitis, but I don't do skull crushers at all becuase I can feel the pain coming on as soon as I attempt them
    my elbows are very weird. overhead elbow extensions or any tricep workout that requires your palm to be facing to the sides kills my elbows. i just dont think my body was built for lifting. skulls are the only exercise that emphasize the long head of the tri without completely destroying my elbows. i had no problems with my tendons when i did skulls for 6 months. then i got on the hammer strength mts tricep machine where my palms were facing sideways. its an absolutely amazing machine for your triceps but by the time i realized it was the core reason i was developing tendonitis it was too late. and now im in this pathetic position.
    Last edited by T_Chapman; 11-09-2004 at 09:53 PM.

MACHINE
    Do exercises that don't hurt. Don't worry about the different heads of the tricep and working them with different exercises, that's a bunch of useless crap for the novice lifter. I suffer the occasional elbow tendonitis and find light close grip bench a great way to warm up the elbows for other movements. Bring the bar down and push it straight up using the reference point of about midway between the belly button and nipples - this will put less stress on the elbows while still stressing the functionality of the triceps. It'll seem too low at first, but you'll get comfortable with it. I start off with 3-4 light sets of 10-12 reps here before moving on to more isolating triceps exercises. I find overhead dumbell extensions and cable press-downs to be minimally stressful on the elbows.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

Quote Originally Posted by gino
    Do exercises that don't hurt. Don't worry about the different heads of the tricep and working them with different exercises, that's a bunch of useless crap for the novice lifter. I suffer the occasional elbow tendonitis and find light close grip bench a great way to warm up the elbows for other movements. Bring the bar down and push it straight up using the reference point of about midway between the belly button and nipples - this will put less stress on the elbows while still stressing the functionality of the triceps. It'll seem too low at first, but you'll get comfortable with it. I start off with 3-4 light sets of 10-12 reps here before moving on to more isolating triceps exercises. I find overhead dumbell extensions and cable press-downs to be minimally stressful on the elbows.
    i think i need a spotter for close grip bench though. ive always been a guy that trains to failure and without being able to train to failure my close grip bench never went up as fast as skull crushing.

Quote Originally Posted by lilmase1153
    T chap yeah i know how you feel bro... i have been diagnosed with tendonitis in both knees and it took me about 4 months to feel as close to normal as ill ever get... but i still squat and play bball and all that i just watch how muhc pressure i am willing to apply on my knee.. try doing machinf press's ie.. hammer strength equip and shortned movemnets it might help and if pain still persists maybe just give it more time... good luck bro but i know what your going through i couldnt play ball for 4 months and at the time it was the most important thing ever to me..
    thx for the support.

ironically the hammer strength is what gave me tendonitis in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by T_Chapman
    hammer strength is what gave me tendonitis
    which machine?

I've had tendonitis in the past, I know exactly what makes it flair up and I avoid those movements. That works for me.

The more you ignore it and keep working through the pain the longer it will take for it to go away.

MACHINE
    i think i need a spotter for close grip bench though. ive always been a guy that trains to failure and without being able to train to failure my close grip bench never went up as fast as skull crushing.
    The point of not doing them to failure is to warm up the triceps thoroughly before you put significant strain on them. You're not necessarily trying to progress your close grip bench, just warm up the tris with as little pain as possible. I like to train to failure often too, but I make exceptions for injured bodyparts
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

my elbows are very weird. overhead elbow extensions or any tricep workout that requires your palm to be facing to the sides kills my elbows. i just dont think my body was built for lifting. skulls are the only exercise that emphasize the long head of the tri without completely destroying my elbows. i had no problems with my tendons when i did skulls for 6 months. then i got on the hammer strength mts tricep machine where my palms were facing sideways. its an absolutely amazing machine for your triceps but by the time i realized it was the core reason i was developing tendonitis it was too late. and now im in this pathetic position.
    I couldn't do anything over head for my tri's for 3 years, but i still workout.
    Skulls are one of the only isolation excercises i can do. Try doing closegrip bench and see how it feels on your elbow.
    If an excercise hurts, don't do it
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Quote Originally Posted by geoffgarcia
    which machine?

I've had tendonitis in the past, I know exactly what makes it flair up and I avoid those movements. That works for me.

The more you ignore it and keep working through the pain the longer it will take for it to go away.
    its the one where you sit down and there are pads on the right and left. you place your elbows on it and grab a lever on top and push forward. its basically a db skullcrusher but youre sitting down and it does wonders for your tris. just that it gave me tendonitis in my elbows...

Are you talking about this machine: Lever tricep extension

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/.../LVTriExt.html

I have used this but wtf

Quote Originally Posted by PYRO
    Are you talking about this machine: Lever tricep extension

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/.../LVTriExt.html

I have used this but wtf
    its very similar to it. the only differences are that it has one on each side and thus isolating one tricep at a time. also the pad is flat at 180 degrees. that link is on a decline and you have to lean over.