The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Idling

Running Substitution

I'm not big on cardio stuff, but my soccer season is starting soon and I need to take it easy on my legs due to some nasty shin splints. I want to avoid running as much as possible so my shins can heal before the season, and my physical therapist said its cool to use the bikes and some of the other "running equipment." I want to do cardio before the season to get my lungs/heart back into shape. I know that when I run around a track I get winded quickly, which is what I want, because that will build endurance. When I try to use the bikes and running machines at the gym, I dont really get that winded feeling. I just get really tight legs afterwards, even when I set the level to the highest and run for 20 minutes on them. Can ANYONE recommend specific machines that will actually give me the sensation that I'm running (being winded so I can build endurance) without putting too much pressure on my shins? If anyone could also provide pictures/animated gif's of the machine (exrx.net) that would be cool. I'm just trying to find out what you guys have found as an effective cardiovascular substitute to running.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

well, this isn't really what you asked for, But stretching my tibia anterior(front of shin muscle) twice daily fixed my shin splints. I had to do it everyday even after they were gone or else they would come back.
    I get really nasty shin splints, like.....bad.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Idling
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam MacKinnon
    well, this isn't really what you asked for, But stretching my tibia anterior(front of shin muscle) twice daily fixed my shin splints. I had to do it everyday even after they were gone or else they would come back.
    I get really nasty shin splints, like.....bad.
    Appreciate the input anyway. Yeah, I do a wall stretch that stretches the tibia 2 or 3 times a day. I also ice it 3-4 times a day. Its worse in my left leg then my right leg. I just need to avoid running on ground for a while, so I'm looking for something else.

Banned
    The elliptical trainer takes almost all the stress out of "running".

Stairmaster

Can you do the Stairmaster without any aggravation to your shins?

That'll get ya winded.

Idling
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Joshua
    Can you do the Stairmaster without any aggravation to your shins?

That'll get ya winded.
    Haven't tried it.. ill have to check it out.

Rowing machine and/or swimming. Or go to a spinning class. You will be winded.

I like riding a real bike, outside! (Maybe even uphill!!!!!)

I'll second the elliptical machine. They're not just for girls anymore.

And I've never had a problem with shin splints when I've had toe raises in my routine.

Idling
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott S
    I'll second the elliptical machine. They're not just for girls anymore.

And I've never had a problem with shin splints when I've had toe raises in my routine.
    Yeah I do those with the smith machine. I put a platform on the ground and do them at the end. A physical therapist recommended I not do them for a couple weeks, until they start to feel better. I've tried the elliptical machine but personally dont get much out of it. I did the rowing machine today and the stairmaster and the stairmaster wears my legs out pretty quickly.. then again I did it on the highest level

Scott S: Even when you dont have problems with your shins, you normally incorporate that exercise into your standard routine? I never thought to do much tibia work prior to this injury.

I wannabebig!
    well you said you have to condition yourself for soccer which is running, only way you will be more effective at that is actual running... now if you do it at the gym on your treadmill at the very highest setting and dont even get nearly winded... you need to find a new gym unless you are an unbelievably good runner

Quote Originally Posted by ecliptic
    I'm not big on cardio stuff, but my soccer season is starting soon and I need to take it easy on my legs due to some nasty shin splints. I want to avoid running as much as possible so my shins can heal before the season, and my physical therapist said its cool to use the bikes and some of the other "running equipment." I want to do cardio before the season to get my lungs/heart back into shape. I know that when I run around a track I get winded quickly, which is what I want, because that will build endurance. When I try to use the bikes and running machines at the gym, I dont really get that winded feeling. I just get really tight legs afterwards, even when I set the level to the highest and run for 20 minutes on them. Can ANYONE recommend specific machines that will actually give me the sensation that I'm running (being winded so I can build endurance) without putting too much pressure on my shins? If anyone could also provide pictures/animated gif's of the machine (exrx.net) that would be cool. I'm just trying to find out what you guys have found as an effective cardiovascular substitute to running.

Problems with shin splints you say? In order to help that you should try working your tibialis anterior, specifically with dorsiflexion movements with weight. That will help a lot. Try this...when you go to the gym sit down in front of the leg extension machine and lower the pad all the way to the bottom so you can pull it toward you with your toes. (Toes should be behind the pad in other words). Sit with your legs together and kness locked. Put it at a light weight and then back your body up a little bit so your range of motion is adequate. Then, just pull the pad out with your toes flexing your tibialis anterior (muscle on the front of your shin) then go down. Do 2-3 sets of 10-12 reps.
    Last edited by Spiderman; 11-10-2004 at 05:03 PM.

"Success is never behind you, it is always, always in front of you."

Idling
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman
    Problems with shin splints you say? In order to help that you should try working your tibialis anterior, specifically with dorsiflexion movements with weight. That will help a lot. Try this...when you go to the gym sit down in front of the leg extension machine and lower the pad all the way to the bottom so you can pull it toward you with your toes. (Toes should be behind the pad in other words). Sit with your legs together and kness locked. Put it at a light weight and then back your body up a little bit so your range of motion is adequate. Then, just pull the pad out with your toes flexing your tibialis anterior (muscle on the front of your shin) then go down. Do 2-3 sets of 10-12 reps.
    I haven't tried that actual exercise. I can see how it would be effective though. We actually have a little piece of equipment at my gym that works the tibialis anterior, and I'm a little nervous about using it right now considering my shins are in pretty bad shape right now. You just kind of stand up and put your foot in it, you add weights to the side and lift up with your toes. I have also used a smith machine to do reverse calf raises. I don't want to worsen it, so Im not sure if I should be putting weight on them.

ryuage: yeah, heh, Im not that great of a runner. After adjusting the stairmaster to a lower level it still just seemed to burn my legs more then make me gasp for air. There sure is nothing like running, but I'll do what I can til I can get these shin splints a bit better.

Idling
    Oh, and Spiderman, Would you suggest I do some tibia work with weights even though I have some nasty shin splints? If they will help im the recovery I'll do it. Everyone I talk to locally says the only solution to them is to rest. Resting is not a part of my vocabulary if I can help it, so if you think that would work I'll give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by ecliptic
    Oh, and Spiderman, Would you suggest I do some tibia work with weights even though I have some nasty shin splints? If they will help im the recovery I'll do it. Everyone I talk to locally says the only solution to them is to rest. Resting is not a part of my vocabulary if I can help it, so if you think that would work I'll give it a shot.
    I'm sure it will help somewhat. I would really focus on stretching them out before, during and after though. Just do some light sets a couple times a week. I don't imagine just doing nothing will really help the matter. Good luck.

"Success is never behind you, it is always, always in front of you."

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Rowing machine and/or swimming. Or go to a spinning class. You will be winded.
    Rowing machine gets my nod. Holy **** is that hard.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Ready for take-off
    Put a 5 lb. strap on weight on your foot, and write the alphabet (upper and lowwer case) with your toes. Do this 3-4 times a day. should help strengthen the shin muscles. works well with my track guys.

Idling
    Will do. Thanks for everyone's input, its exactly what I wanted.

Can you still squat? or deadlift? with little to no pain?

There is a moral to this after the question is answered.

Kc

Idling
    Well, actually right now I can't squat or deadlift. Herniated disc from deadlifting, so I still have about 3 weeks until I can start doing them again. I'm all sorts of messed up. Bad shins, bad back... heh.. but I dont want to risk screwing my back up even more then I already have, so I'll take the physical therapists advice

When you get back to training start doing interval work with a barbell. Id suggest mainly with olympic lifts (hang clean, power cleans, power snatch). You can do them with dumbbells or kettlebells if you dont want to do them a barbell. Basicly higher reps 12ish in the high set area again around 12ish. The rest between sets should be mild to none existant and supersetted with several different exercises.

Kc

Idling
    I dont really see how that would have a positive effect on my shin splints. That would be more stress on them then anything. I can do isolation tibial work and that should be enough. As far as powerlifts go, I tend to stick to the big 3. Deadlifts, squats, and Bench press.

I'm not sure if this will help, but

A great running substitution is skipping rope. 5 minutes of straight skipping rope at a good fast pace I read somewhere burns the same calories as running at 8 mph for 20 minutes. In 5 minutes there shouldn't be that much time for you shins to start bugging you and trust me, it's an amazing cardio workout. I often challenge guys who think it's for wimps to do just 5 minutes and they usually stop after 2-3 straight minutes winded.