Thread: I want to start doing hindu squats (weightless squats)

I want to start doing hindu squats (weightless squats)

Should I stop doing regular ones (along with quad work)? I wanna get up to like 500 a day. Theres a few other things I'd like to do with bodyweight like pushups but squats are the most important. And yeah I know "why do this if it's not in your goals" right. Well, as I've mentioned before, I'm going to be training to be a pro wrestler and I need a good verticle leap and muscular endurance is more important than size and raw strength in this perticular case. So yeah, drop the quad work or keep it?

Depends....

In Japan, they do tons of Hindu squats every day (Benoit, Dynamite Kid, Cactus Jack all mentioned this when talking about their days in Japan) and tended to do alot of sparing/wrestling to build a muscle base as opposed to doing weights. As a side note, Ken Shamrock trained his fighters this way as well as opposed to doing.

Having said that, I also know that most of the WWE wrestlers are gym rats these days....Benoit for example will do 45 minutes of cardio, get gassed then go do weights but he tends to stick with more moderate weights and goes for high volume. Lance Storm has a similar workout too.

Bottom line....these days, if you're going to get into the biz...I'd probably prioritize on a weight training program that stresses more endurance and muscle growth....These days, while endurance and flexibility are important, looks, charisma and stick work are way more important. You'll build muscle alot faster doing free weight squats as opposed to doing 1000 hindu squats a day. Not saying you can't do them but I wouldn't make them a priority.

Ready for take-off
    Very nice post Ja113. Damn good information. Ever try plyometrics for your vertical leap and endurance? jumping and bounding, ect...

Thanks captain...and I agree about the plyometrics as well...

Rock and Kurt do alot of this stuff as well!

(although, Kurt was a maniac in the gym as well...he used to do high rep cleans, squats and deads all in one workout)

Thanks for the advice and yeah I realized thats how all those guys trained and thats why I've been thinking of getting rid of regular squats and doing hindu squats everyday. I used to do plyometrics sort of. I'd do light squats which is sort of a plyometric and will improve your leap. This is how Lance Storm trains. I chat with TJ Wilson every so often online and I asked him how he trains and he says he does 300 squats a day (especially before matches as a warm up - imagine doing leg day then having to go out and perform like these guys do :o) so that was kind of when I decided it's time finally commit to this way of training. I would still do a regular weighted routine for upper body but for quads I'd do this and for hams probably wrestlers bridges but I also want to keep deadlifting if I can.

Also, I've really got to disagree with you about charisma, mic and look being more important than the in righ product. I think that they definatly were before but I think wrestling is finally getting back to straight up wrestling. We've got guys like Benoit and Guerrero holding world's titles who are 2 of the best wrestlers in the world. Thats not to say those things aren't important though. I think there are lots of people who get by on their look and their mic skills and all that but personally I like the guys who go out and bust their asses in the ring for 45 minutes to an hour and deliver a good in ring product. Thats what I want out of my gym membership, to ge to the same level as these guys. So with that said should I drop the weighted squats and stick to doing hindu squats to failure everyday? And... well, any more advice on what I should be doing would be very much appreciated.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Working out is a MUST. Work out like any regular person; and for the wrestling aspect do some extra weightless leg work, plyometrics, and LOTS of stretching.

I train already, and I can tell you that conditioning is very important. Make sure to still do some cardio even if you are or start to bulk. Again, plyometrics and stretching are a must!
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

'I like the guys who go out and bust their asses in the ring for 45 minutes to an hour and deliver a good in ring product. Thats what I want out of my gym membership, to ge to the same level as these guys. So with that said should I drop the weighted squats and stick to doing hindu squats to failure everyday? And... well, any more advice on what I should be doing would be very much appreciated.'

I agree with you there...guys like Ric Flair (in his prime), Steamboat, Kobashi, Misawa, Mutoh, HBK (in his prime), Jericho and the list goes on...these are guys that I always liked watching...

You're right, a good workrate is obviously important....however (and I'm not saying this is a good thing)....I still think that mic skills, gimmick and charisma are unfortunately, if not as important, their alot more important in today's wrestling. Almost anyone in the biz will tell you that.

For example, the wrestlers I listed above were excellent workers but were also exeptional on the stick..especially Flair. Look at the Rock, he wasn't the best worker but he hustled and he could talk people into the seats. Nobody cared about Austin til he became 'Stone Cold'. Mark Callous who? Oh you mean the Undertaker....and the list goes on.....

On the other side of the coin, look at guys like Rey Misterio, Christian, Edge, Dean Malenko, Rico, Hurricane Helmsley....all these guys are fantastic workers...but from a fan point of view, they're certainly not superstars.

As for Benoit and Eddy G....don't get me wrong, I've been a huge fan of Benoit since his Calgary days and when they were both in Japan back in the early 90s....but these guys are more the exception to the rule. Both these guys are arguably the best workers today, far and above most guys in the WWE with maybe the exception of Jericho and Edge. But let's face it....it took Benoit 18 years before he became a superstar. Most hardcore fans knew he was awesome but average Joe public didn't notice him until about a year and a half ago. And Eddie has the magic heel heat gene....it's unreal but along with being an awesome worker, he has great charisma and mic skills.

Or let's look at it this way....Benoit gets ratings by going out and wrestling the best wrestling match on the card....Austin can grab a guitar, sing kumbaya really badly and get as good or better ratings.

Again, this isn't a knock against workrate because I'm more from an 'old school' thought where wrestling should be first but hey...it ain't wrestling anymore...it's 'Sports Entertainment'.

Back to your original question though.....I'd suggest (if you can handle it), just doing it and seeing how you feel. Do your normal leg workout....and do the hindu squats every other day. See how that goes. Add or subtract as needed.

And anytime...I can talk wrestling forever! (I've been a fan for something like 20 years).