Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Male or female personal trainers?

Wannabebig Member

Male or female personal trainers?

I got beef from some posters on a previous thread regarding this subject.

I basically said I wouldnt want a female personal trainer because I wouldnt feel comfortable having a woman advising me on how to lift weights. Even if she's extremely well educated, I want someone who's applied their knowledge and looks the part. No matter how fit, toned, knowledgeable a woman is about weights, are you really going to take her seriously compared with a man who is about 5 times more bigger, built, and aggresive?

Im sure i'll cop alot of flak but thats just my personal opinion.
    6"4 235
    --------
    14% BF

--------
    Train hard and train smart

http://www.beccaswanson.com/

When you are bigger and stronger than her, then you can talk smack about female trainers. Until then, kindly stfu.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Damn, thats a tough bitch
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

If she knows her game, she knows her game.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    http://www.beccaswanson.com/

When you are bigger and stronger than her, then you can talk smack about female trainers. Until then, kindly stfu.
    stfu? Yeah im sure the average female personal trainer look just like her? Good one d*ckhead. How about coming up with some viable reasoning instead of posting a bullsh*t juiced b*tch with bigger balls than you.
    6"4 235
    --------
    14% BF

--------

I agree with Aoeteroa 100%,
    Swanson is the exception is isn't your average female trainer, lets face it the AVERAGE female trainer teaches aerobic classes, general fitness and weight loss. The average male trainer is a bodybuilder working at the gym and looks pretty foolish teaching aerobics.

Quite frankly I'd be worried to have the AVERAGE female trainer spot me doing a heavy bench or helping me get a couple of hundred pounds off my shoulders after a squating set (not all gyms have squat rack you know).

And in MY EXPERIENCE a female trainer won't stand over you as you work and force the best out of you like a guy will ("Your worthless" "Move that weight bitch" "My mother could lift that") and then smack you on the back afterwards and tell you "Good job! I KNEW you could do it".

My best technique teachers have always been woman, BUT I made my best gains working out with big guys who knew what it took to get the best out of another guy, I felt safer with them spotting me and there was a much better "team" spirit, where as with women It was their job.

A big guy knows what it's like to devote himself to moving very heavy weights, eating to be able to move those weights and spending hours and years moving iron day in and day out. He knows what that last all out effort rep that totally wipes you out for the rest of the day feels like.

The AVERAGE female trainer IN MY EXPERIENCE knows TONS about dieting to loose weight, Aerobics, general fitness, and technique but not about getting BIG and moving BIG and HEAVY.

There is a diference in KNOWING the techniques of doing something and APPLYING it in the real world and the knowledge and experience that comes with the actual application.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeper
    Swanson is the exception is isn't your average female trainer, lets face it the AVERAGE female trainer teaches aerobic classes, general fitness and weight loss. The average male trainer is a bodybuilder working at the gym and looks pretty foolish teaching aerobics.

Quite frankly I'd be worried to have the AVERAGE female trainer spot me doing a heavy bench or helping me get a couple of hundred pounds off my shoulders after a squating set (not all gyms have squat rack you know).

And in MY EXPERIENCE a female trainer won't stand over you as you work and force the best out of you like a guy will ("Your worthless" "Move that weight bitch" "My mother could lift that") and then smack you on the back afterwards and tell you "Good job! I KNEW you could do it".

My best technique teachers have always been woman, BUT I made my best gains working out with big guys who knew what it took to get the best out of another guy, I felt safer with them spotting me and there was a much better "team" spirit, where as with women It was their job.

A big guy knows what it's like to devote himself to moving very heavy weights, eating to be able to move those weights and spending hours and years moving iron day in and day out. He knows what that last all out effort rep that totally wipes you out for the rest of the day feels like.

The AVERAGE female trainer IN MY EXPERIENCE knows TONS about dieting to loose weight, Aerobics, general fitness, and technique but not about getting BIG and moving BIG and HEAVY.

There is a diference in KNOWING the techniques of doing something and APPLYING it in the real world and the knowledge and experience that comes with the actual application.

Couldnt have said it better myself! Nice one bro
    6"4 235
    --------
    14% BF

--------

Why deal with averages?

Deal with individuals.

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Quote Originally Posted by Geeper

Some what true. All the trainers at my gym except one competes in bodybuilding. The rest male and female are just in healthy shape. I must admit though I used a personal trainer for six months just to get down the proper technique. After that I started working out with a couple big guys in the gym and that's where I really started seeing results.

I gave you ONE example of a woman who is bigger, stronger, more aggressive, and more knowledgeable than you. Do you honestly think there aren't others? My point is, who cares what sex/age/race someone is when hiring a coach? If they know their stuff, that's all that should matter.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Regarding the female aspect of spotting, if done right you should have no problems. My 115lb wife is my spotter and has no problems spotting on any of my lifts. She's pushes me harder than any male partner that I have ever had. That's kind of off topic as she's no trainer, but I still stand by my opinion that the gender of a trainer does not matter given equal qualifications.

Neither one is better or worse, it comes down to personal preference.
    My journal

-As President of the loyal order of Curl Jockeys I hearby proclaim you top Curl Jockey. -ectx

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    I gave you ONE example of a woman who is bigger, stronger, more aggressive, and more knowledgeable than you. Do you honestly think there aren't others? My point is, who cares what sex/age/race someone is when hiring a coach? If they know their stuff, that's all that should matter.
    Yup!!! Very true. If there was a woman in my gym that looked like that she'd be the first I'd choose to train with. I'd also train with "big men" too.

Thanks for making me throw up, Anthony.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

I know some women that could tear you apart and train harder than you ever could Aoeteroa. Some that I've personally trained with and have also happened to be personal trainers.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

Sign me up.

Quote Originally Posted by Aoeteroa
    I got beef from some posters on a previous thread regarding this subject.

I basically said I wouldnt want a female personal trainer because I wouldnt feel comfortable having a woman advising me on how to lift weights. Even if she's extremely well educated, I want someone who's applied their knowledge and looks the part. No matter how fit, toned, knowledgeable a woman is about weights, are you really going to take her seriously compared with a man who is about 5 times more bigger, built, and aggresive?

Im sure i'll cop alot of flak but thats just my personal opinion.
    Dude, I dont see many guys in my gym bigger than 6'4, 235 either. If you need someone way bigger than you to train you... good luck.
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCC
    I know some women that could tear you apart and train harder than you ever could Aoeteroa. Some that I've personally trained with and have also happened to be personal trainers.
    Maybe, I doubt it though. Well if they look like the juiced up broad Anthony posted than probably yeah, but your average female personal trainer, no.
    6"4 235
    --------
    14% BF

--------

LOL

Good to see that the brain-dead still walk the Earth.

actually, some of the very strong women, have XX cromosons, and a genetically male, so..hehe, samething I guess.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

Stein...females are *supposed* to be XX

XY is male.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerManDL
    LOL

Good to see that the brain-dead still walk the Earth.
    Im brain dead because I dont think these women this guy trains with can outwork me?
    6"4 235
    --------
    14% BF

--------

Powerman, my bad, I just saw a documentary on BBC, about women who have male cromosons and are genetically male, but still look basically female.

But they also said men are women with testosteron.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock

But they also said men are women with testosteron.
    I thought guys with boobies were men with estrogen?

Hire whoever you are comfortable with. If gender is an issue fine, if they have a mole you don't like fine. In the end, it's your money to spend and your results that are the important thing.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Quote Originally Posted by Aoeteroa
    Im brain dead because I dont think these women this guy trains with can outwork me?
    Yup, I believe that's the implication there. It's braindead thinking to think that your the strongest, toughest one around and no girl anywhere could teach you anything. Only guys know how to lift weights after all.

It was funny when I was training a girl not long ago. She got a kick out of being able to lift more then quiet a few guys at the gym. They in return walked up to her and asked her if she was able to handle that weight, or advised her that she should be doing more reps with less otherwise she'd get too big. The woman looked nothing like that one in the post too.

That said, most trainers in my gym are smaller then me, and I'm not that big.. To be honest with you, I respect two of them. One was a lady who competed in bodybuilding and the other a guy who competed in powerlifting (both locally, nothing pro or major or anything like that).

What was the point of posting this thread if not to start something? You even said it in your original thread itself, you were sure to cop alot of flak..

One last comment just for the fun of it, in reference to Geepers female trainers not standing over you shouting words of encouragement.. How do you actually get motivated by that? I find it more of a distraction from lifting the weight then anything.
    Last edited by Nights; 11-10-2004 at 09:09 AM.
    LaLa